PDA

View Full Version : Slave Lake Narrows Ice Shack Rentals

dfrobert
12-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Anybody got any contact info for ice fishing shack rentals on Slave Lake at the narrows. I know other areas of the lake have shack rentals but more interested if someone will be renting out shacks on the Narrows this year.

Thanks.

Shmag
12-01-2013, 07:32 PM
None that I know of...access is usually the problem there...

dfrobert
12-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Bump. Anybody?

I hear you Shmag. Do you know any locals that haul their shacks out there that would be interested in possibly renting out there shack to a guy this winter??? It was all sled and quad access last year and going off the packed trail with the quad meant getting stuck bad!

Shmag
12-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Bump. Anybody?

I hear you Shmag. Do you know any locals that haul their shacks out there that would be interested in possibly renting out there shack to a guy this winter??? It was all sled and quad access last year and going off the packed trail with the quad meant getting stuck bad!

The way its looking this year might be much of the same as last....got dumped on pretty good here in the last 36 hrs. I do know lots of guys that have shacks out there...not sure if any will rent, have never had to ask, but I can ask around.

Also know a guy that has 2 shacks, started using his newer one and his second has been sitting in the field for a couple years now....might need a day of work or cleaning...not sure. It might of been an old rig "Doghouse" as it is on a steel frame and believe axles/tires. He has the equipment to get it on and off. Maybe you can strike a deal with him...tell him you will put a few bucks in it...he's a pretty good guy. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in and i'll pm you his name and info...

dfrobert
12-04-2013, 05:07 AM
PM sent

bucksandbulls
01-13-2014, 11:52 AM
any luck on finding out who rents at the narrows???

Shmag
01-13-2014, 05:33 PM
any luck on finding out who rents at the narrows???

Nobody has shack rental's there...Actually the locals or private shack owners still have not taken any shacks out last I heard...

Hard Water
01-14-2014, 09:26 AM
hey Shmag ,
I heard there was a road plowed out onto lake ?
is this true ?
and as far as the narrows , I usually get on lake north of kinuso , then header north strait across lake , is there a better way to access the narrows ?
thanks a lot .

Shmag
01-14-2014, 11:57 AM
hey Shmag ,
I heard there was a road plowed out onto lake ?
is this true ?
and as far as the narrows , I usually get on lake north of kinuso , then header north strait across lake , is there a better way to access the narrows ?
thanks a lot .

As far as I know there is no road plowed to the lake. Last time I was out (a week ago) there wasn't. Actually the grader used to do it right to the field but this year he only made 1 pass to the field and lately has been turning around at the last 90 before the field. Only one that would of plowed a trail is the farmer, but he is not much for fishing. I think he did it once about 10 yrs ago, but it was blown in within a week or so and never reopened.

As far as access, the field would probably be the closest, then from the north side of the lake, there is a native detox center I believe...not sure if the road to that is opened or not....never did go that way, so not sure where that road even comes from.

Hard Water
01-14-2014, 10:02 PM
hey , thanks Shmag

so the quickest way to the narrows is from north of kinuso as far as I can tell ,is this correct ?

Shmag
01-15-2014, 08:36 AM
hey , thanks Shmag

so the quickest way to the narrows is from north of kinuso as far as I can tell ,is this correct ?

Yes the shortest route would be from north of Kinuso, for most. I have a lakefront by widewater/canyon creek and I can just skidoo there from home in 20 minutes. But for me to load the trailer and truck it to kinuso and unload I'd be looking at least a full hour +.

But definetly the shortest km wise is from north of kinuso, it would be from where you can park, approx. 2 km through the field then 2-3 km on the lake to get to the narrows.

Sometimes when the field would hold too much snow I have seen guys get on at the spruce point park marina with trucks and drive east to the narrows, guessing that would be a 10-11 km trek.

Lots of current through the narrows....and I cant stress enough the variation of ice thickness at the narrows. This is one place you don't take it for granted. About 7 yrs ago I had my truck out there so did everyone else. Used a full auger length to get through the ice, later that day I moved about a half km east and there was about 14 inches of ice. I walked about 200 yrds east from there and there was just under a foot of ice. That's the last time I ever took my truck on the narrows.

Another yr, the haglunds were skidding shacks out weeks before and travelling all over the place....then one day a snow cat broke through about a mile away from where the haglunds were driving weeks before.

Use extreme caution, the ice was starting to come around after the last cold snap, but now with this week of warm weather, im not sure what to expect out there, but it cant be good

Obsessed fisherman
01-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Can someone provide a ice condition update for the kinuso area. want to head out this week but spring weather has me wondering if that's wise.

davegrant
01-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Fished narrows at Kinuso yesterday. Road is plowed to field and packed skidoo trail out to lake. Ice thickness ranged from 18 inch good ice to slushy 8 inch with flood water.Lots walleye and burbot at 30 feet depth. Use skidoos or quad unless your truck can swim.

Steve p
01-19-2014, 07:50 PM
hey im not fromilliar with the lake at all but me and a friend or 2 where looking to rent a overnight shack on the ice for a night or 2 any info at all about who rents overnight shacks on the ice would be great also any info on what tackle and gear/bait to use as we are all new to this thanks in advance for any info!!

Shmag
01-20-2014, 08:26 AM
hey im not fromilliar with the lake at all but me and a friend or 2 where looking to rent a overnight shack on the ice for a night or 2 any info at all about who rents overnight shacks on the ice would be great also any info on what tackle and gear/bait to use as we are all new to this thanks in advance for any info!!

Im sure there is a few that rent, but the only one I know of is at Joussard, cant remember the name but "Ladyhawk" rings a bell....maybe someone else can confirm that...

Go to hooks on slave for me is usually a Lime green or white jighead tipped with a minnow, if the fish seem finicky I will attach a stinger hook. Northlands makes a good stinger hook in a 3 pack. If they aren't interested in that then I usually use a silver spoon of some sort, silver/blue syclops or any other for that matter. Put a minnow on the treble horizontally, one barb through the back of the head and one barb through the belly

Good Luck !!!

chad66
01-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Fished narrows at Kinuso yesterday. Road is plowed to field and packed skidoo trail out to lake. Ice thickness ranged from 18 inch good ice to slushy 8 inch with flood water.Lots walleye and burbot at 30 feet depth. Use skidoos or quad unless your truck can swim.

Hey Dave were there any ice shacks out there when you were there? What about other fisherman?
Chad

davegrant
01-21-2014, 06:50 AM
Only 2 private shacks out where we were but about 10 that still on shore. Ice is too inconsistent for shacks to be hauled out. Always a problem at narrows due to current flow. Shmag is bang on with Ladyhawk cabins out of Joussard and the Sawridge hotel use to rent as well. Not too sure if Alberta Adventures still have theirs. Chartreause jig head with medium minnows works well same as gold Swedish Pimples. The Parker minnows were too large and the mediums outfished 3 to 1.

chad66
01-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Only 2 private shacks out where we were but about 10 that still on shore. Ice is too inconsistent for shacks to be hauled out. Always a problem at narrows due to current flow. Shmag is bang on with Ladyhawk cabins out of Joussard and the Sawridge hotel use to rent as well. Not too sure if Alberta Adventures still have theirs. Chartreause jig head with medium minnows works well same as gold Swedish Pimples. The Parker minnows were too large and the mediums outfished 3 to 1.

Thank-you for the information. Happy fishing!

curtis_rak
01-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Ladyhawk shut down about a year ago, which is too bad because Bernie was an awesome guy to deal with.

I'm now renting with Roadrunner Cabins out of Joussard as well and they have been great to us.

Hard Water
01-21-2014, 09:19 PM
reel'in resort rents shacks
don't know if there out yet
biggest white glow jig with minnow
jack ,ling , and walleye out same hole , everytime
always catch a pailfull

good luck

crown royal 17
01-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Only two shacks out there. Atv or snowmobile only.
Nine mile is plowed for trucks.
Fishing was good.
:sHa_shakeshout:

Jamie Black R/T
01-22-2014, 10:38 AM
reel'in resort rents shacks
don't know if there out yet

I heard Wally sold his shacks a couple years ago.