PDA

View Full Version : Catching a snagged fish??

Gslice
12-01-2013, 11:46 PM
What do you do when you legally catch a fish that has a clear and distinct snag marks on it from a previous angler? Are you technically allowed to keep it? If so, how would you prove to fish and wildlife officers that you weren't the one who snagged it if you were to get checked...

Gust
12-01-2013, 11:49 PM
What do you do when you legally catch a fish that has a clear and distinct snag marks on it from a previous angler? Are you technically allowed to keep it? If so, how would you prove to fish and wildlife officers that you weren't the one who snagged it if you were to get checked...

It would be pretty clear from your tackle box and what's on your rod while fishing. It would also be hard to back hook a fish while ice fishing, but I'm sure it happens from time to time.

Mike_W
12-02-2013, 07:54 AM
It would be pretty clear from your tackle box and what's on your rod while fishing. It would also be hard to back hook a fish while ice fishing, but I'm sure it happens from time to time.

Snagged fished doesn't mean only in the back they can be snagged in the belly and gills quite easily.

I don't know what I would do I guess if I didn't snag it I would keep it and deal with fish and wildlife if it came up.

EZM
12-02-2013, 07:58 AM
I think you are OK ......... after all, the intended purpose of that law is to prevent purposely snagging a fish.

I have caught many fish casting or trolling that ended up snagged in the face, gill plate, fin etc.... I certainly wasn't actively seeking to snag the fish, however, if one decided to keep a fish .... would it really be illegal? (given the above circumstances).

I think the laws intent is the key here.

Red Neck
12-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Given the wide range of "enforcement levels" and they way each is handled by individual CO's? I might just release that fish? Better than telling another fish story that starts with "You Wouldn't believe".:bad_boys_20:
Red Neck Out
:scared0018:

ogre
12-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I think you are OK ......... after all, the intended purpose of that law is to prevent purposely snagging a fish.

I have caught many fish casting or trolling that ended up snagged in the face, gill plate, fin etc.... I certainly wasn't actively seeking to snag the fish, however, if one decided to keep a fish .... would it really be illegal? (given the above circumstances).

I think the laws intent is the key here.

x2
Also depends on how desperate I am about taking a fish home...

Gust
12-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Snagged fished doesn't mean only in the back they can be snagged in the belly and gills quite easily.

I don't know what I would do I guess if I didn't snag it I would keep it and deal with fish and wildlife if it came up.

true,, but the snaggers of days gone by typically foul hooking them on the back.

Being straight up with F&W is usually the best thing to do.