PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy ice auger issue

kevinhits
12-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Hey all

It seems my gas tank threads are stripped. I bought a new cap and that did not work. I tried duct taping it on for a quick fix for now and the gas just eats through the tape. Anybody know of a way to quick fix this tank. I plan on buying a replacement but I am ordering to my cabin in the states and will not be down there to pick it up for awhile...

Thanks guys:)

dodgeboy1979
12-02-2013, 08:46 AM
will the cap thread on at all, if it does fill the tank and put a bit of clear silicone on it before you screw it on

kevinhits
12-02-2013, 08:54 AM
will the cap thread on at all, if it does fill the tank and put a bit of clear silicone on it before you screw it on

Yes, the cap will go on...Good idea....Thanks, I will give it a try and I just happen to have some ...lol

CeeZee
12-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Just remember that most silicones and adhesives will not cure or will "rot" from the gas and oil in the fuel. I know there is a compound that is almost like "sticky tack" that you can paste onto a hole in a fuel tank that is dripping fuel and it seals and cures. Perhaps an item that is durable enuf, paste the treads in the cap and the other threads, screw on and leave until cured, maybe it will sort of rebuild the damaged threads. Just my 1 cent.

Kokanee9
12-02-2013, 09:55 AM
If the cap does go on, will it still leak?

Is there a gasket torn or missing on the cap?

If the cap can go on, it may hold gas without leaking. If it still leaks, you may have to take a small gas can with you and only pour whats needed into the tank for that day. When the day is over, empty the remaining fuel, back into the gas can.
Or, when transporting it, lay it down with the gas cap side up. I think it may also fit quite nicely into a milk crate.

Geezle
12-02-2013, 09:56 AM
What about wrapping it with some teflon tape as a band-aid until you replace the tank?

kevinhits
12-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks Guys...

I tried the teflon tape first and that was a no go...I love teflon tape and usually works for anything...but being gas and oil....not so good..

I ordered a new tank today from Jiffy so I just need to get through the next couple of weeks..

When I went out to Chain last week, I kept the spout up when on the ice and in my van to prevent leaking. I guess I can manage till I get my new tank

Thanks guys....

Kim473
12-03-2013, 03:40 AM
You can get electrical tape that is made from rubber and not the plastic kind of stuff, it stretches and becomes thin like teflon tape. I would give that a try for a temp fix.

EDMfishing
12-03-2013, 04:17 AM
As someone else said a milk crate is good, and with 2 opposite sides cut out (amount varies on you and how big bottom of auger is) works AWSOME!!! for keeping your motor upright (and id assume gas cap up) while travelling forsure.. taking it appart on ice to put into crate again kinda a pain unless your on the fish and dont plan moving for a while!

But by cutting down 2-4 inches into the sides of milk crate you can ensure motor wont slide around or out of it.. I love this idea, learned it from my late grandpa

azn_rice_man
12-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Hey Kevin,
That's interesting how you're having issues with this... I just replaced my cap on the Jiffy as well and am having the same issue but the thread on the gas tank isn't damaged. I was suspecting it was the seal on the cap, so I'm going to get another one to test it out.

kevinhits
12-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Hey Kevin,
That's interesting how you're having issues with this... I just replaced my cap on the Jiffy as well and am having the same issue but the thread on the gas tank isn't damaged. I was suspecting it was the seal on the cap, so I'm going to get another one to test it out.

Yeah....I know. It doesn't look like it is stripped but I did buy a new cap at WSS for 9 bucks and still doesn't work...

Let me know how it goes

I did purchase a new gas tank from Jiffy for 24 bucks+ shipping

EZM
12-03-2013, 07:57 AM
DRADER INDUSTRIES here in Edmonton sells various sizes of milk crates. I think I paid around $10 each.

I have one that is something like 14" x 20" and my head for the auger seats nicely into it without having to modify it. The arms on the auger rest on the 14" sides and the bulk of the motor and gear case sit down nicely.

It rides upright and I just run a bungee cord over top. Nests nice and snug and keeps the gas cap upright. Slide it in the bed of the truck and I'm ready to go - just attach the drill bit when I get to the lake.

That's the way to go.

I gotta believe there is a similar manufacturer in Calgary that will sell them to consumers at the order desk.

Kokanee9
12-03-2013, 05:04 PM
When I suggested a milk crate, I should have explained more.

Take the auger part off of the powerhead and put the powerhead into the crate sitting right side up. The handles support it and there is still room under the powerhead for some odds and ends from the day of ice fishing.

The auger can be removed from the powerhead with an allen key. Unless you have a full tank of gas, no gas will come out while transporting it.

fergy
12-03-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm also having trouble with the gas cap. I have replaced the cap twice and it still leaks !!!

kevinhits
12-03-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm also having trouble with the gas cap. I have replaced the cap twice and it still leaks !!!

Do not replace the cap anymore bought a new one and still no go...I just ordered a new tank from Jiffy

fergy
12-04-2013, 06:57 PM
K thanks , I will have to order new tank i guess.

fish gunner
12-04-2013, 07:22 PM
When I suggested a milk crate, I should have explained more.

Take the auger part off of the powerhead and put the powerhead into the crate sitting right side up. The handles support it and there is still room under the powerhead for some odds and ends from the day of ice fishing.

The auger can be removed from the powerhead with an allen key. Unless you have a full tank of gas, no gas will come out while transporting it.

×2 I used a recip saw to notch top of crate for auger handles. Take allen head bolt and throw far. get a quick pin, 3/8's I think. I got a stainless one for less than 30 $ at a industrial supply shop fits perfectly in jiffy augers.
My friend has a double crate 24×12. He can almost fish with just it for storage. We use a big snow scoop and his crate for walk on trips.

linger
12-04-2013, 09:24 PM
sorry guys all I can say it's a jiffy:character0110:

Ken07AOVette
12-04-2013, 09:26 PM
How about a rubber cork?

fish gunner
12-04-2013, 09:48 PM

No its dum plastic parts.

1bluZebec
12-04-2013, 10:15 PM

X2 Eskimo so far it has been perfect. S33 stingray cheap east one they got and its all anyone could need.:happy0034:

linger
12-04-2013, 10:45 PM
that's why I got an eskimo lol :sHa_shakeshout:

fish gunner
12-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Weird, my buddy with an eskimo put a jiffy cap on his. Lol how old are those skimos any way week or three. He he .

1bluZebec
12-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Mines 4yrs old :) I did the research first to not be as disappointed in the end.hope you get a fix. I was going to suggest a sandwich bag in between cap and tank but probably would still leak but worth a shot. Works on Jerry cans and is fast easy cheap

cube
12-05-2013, 08:34 AM
You might try an Eskimo gas cap. As fish gunner above alluded to the threading is almost the same and the eskimo caps, while more expensive than the jiffy caps, are better.

At least the threading was the close to the same a couple of years ago, but like all things in life nothing stays the same.

Good luck

Crowsnest
12-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Try doubling up cork gasket on cap

Red Bullets
12-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Try doubling up cork gasket on cap

X2 on the gasket.

Also check the flatness of the seal face of the opening on the tank. Might be as simple as taking a very fine sandpaper on a flat surface and reface the tank opening. If refacing and a good gasket doesn't solve the leak I would suspect a tank seam leak.

If it is a metal tank, there is a product called Liquid Steel or JB Weld would probably solve a leak.

AdverseCity
12-15-2013, 01:52 AM
My brother in law has some of this stuff, it's about 3x as thick as regular teflon tape and made for propane, natural gas, methane, petroleum distillates and butane according to the label. Might work as a temporary fix if you can find some.

Unasco yellow gas tape (http://www.unasco.net/yellow%20gas%20thread%20seal%20tape.html)

Andy LeClair
12-15-2013, 07:03 AM
You can buy a 3/8" PTO pin for less than 5 bucks at your local Princess Auto!Been using one for many many years now.Makes it very easy to detach/attach the auger flyeting each trip.

e40water12
12-16-2013, 10:42 PM
my buddy had the same problem he used this oil filler plug

great white whaler
12-17-2013, 08:21 PM
windshield washer bottle plastic cap screws right on there.

EZM
12-18-2013, 11:30 AM
You can buy a 3/8" PTO pin for less than 5 bucks at your local Princess Auto!Been using one for many many years now.Makes it very easy to detach/attach the auger flyeting each trip.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Tractor/66056-3-8-PTO-LOCK-PIN/8481194.p

like this one ............

diggerbones
12-18-2013, 12:29 PM
my buddy had the same problem he used this oil filler plug

Try a O-ring gasket between cap & tank. Pretty cheap fix. & can get O rings pretty easy.

Czech1
12-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Mines still useable but getting worse each year .......One day going to have to also find a "fix" Looks like going to have to be a new tank Darn plastic seems this is common with us Jiffy Auger owners

great white whaler
12-19-2013, 07:51 AM
plastic bag over the hole before ya screw the cap on,