PDA

View Full Version : Pan fried trout recipes

Kokaneeranger
12-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Good mornin all,
From all reports and pics there are lots of great looking trout being caught. I was wondering the best way to prepare pan size trout for a bone shy family. We love the taste of our local bows and brookies and cleaning up the larger ones without bones is easy, its the amaller ones (14" and smaller) that leave me either butchering to remove the bones or cooking specifically for me. I usually just batter and pan fry the smaller ones and remove the bones as i devour. How does everyone prepare and cook the small ones? From the simplest to the fanciest, lets hear some recipes

CeeZee
12-02-2013, 09:15 AM
I would love to hear some tricks and tips as well, my kids love the fish its just very tedious to get all those little pin bones out.
Only ways I know are to bake it whole or to fillet and fry in batter with the bones where they were.

Flieguy
12-02-2013, 10:30 AM
gut & remove the head, then fry in butter and a little lemon juice and pepper.

once you fry it, pull the spine straight down and out the bottom of the fish where you cut it to pull out the guts. do this properly and all the bones should come with the spine.

kevinhits
12-02-2013, 10:49 AM

once you fry it, pull the spine straight down and out the bottom of the fish where you cut it to pull out the guts. do this properly and all the bones should come with the spine.

x2

czoom
12-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Simple way.

I do pretty much the same thing but add Garlic salt.

Jack&7
12-02-2013, 01:44 PM
I stuff the cavity with lemon slices, dill, and some finely sliced onion, S+P.

Then wrap in foil and either bake it or throw it on the grill. When done, pull the bones out as described above. It's so good, there is no other way to cook it necessary.

CeeZee
12-02-2013, 01:57 PM
I prefer them baked mostly like you guys mentioned, the spine comes out nice with the rib bones and some others but still find many of the pin bones left behind.

EZM
12-02-2013, 07:21 PM
The trick is, when fried, not to over cook it, the smaller bones might be a chore otherwise.

Baking is the best option if the bones are the big issue for you - they come out nice and clean.

AppleJax
12-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Silverdoctor's recipe: "Smudder er in enuf budder and she be good"

Redfrog
12-02-2013, 07:37 PM
For frying I like olive oil and butter. Toss the cleaned fish in seasoned flour and when they are cooked pull the spine and all the rest pretty much come out at the same time.

I also clean and cook on a stick over an open fire. leave the heads on and when the eyes turn white, they are done. Yummy.:sHa_shakeshout:

Kokaneeranger
12-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys! Exactly what I was looking for. Cheers and Bon appetit

Flieguy
12-02-2013, 09:26 PM
I just had baked trout for dinner:

stuff it with your favorite spices + olive oil and butter

wrap it in tin foil and bake at 475 for 25-30 minutes (depending on size)

I used lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt.

calgarychef
12-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Use a cast iron pan, not too hot, dredge the fish in seasoned flour, then fry in butter or as mentioned butter and olive oil. Once the first side is nicely done flip the fish and pop the whole shebang into an oven at about 350 F. Finishing it in the oven makes sure its cooked all the way through and doesn't over cook the skin.

Redfrog
12-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Use a cast iron pan, not too hot, dredge the fish in seasoned flour, then fry in butter or as mentioned butter and olive oil. Once the first side is nicely done flip the fish and pop the whole shebang into an oven at about 350 F. Finishing it in the oven makes sure its cooked all the way through and doesn't over cook the skin.

perfect idea. I struggle to get a thicker fish cooked through without having a very dark coating.

angrybeaver
12-03-2013, 07:28 PM
After you filet them and skin them, I cut the fillets in half, so the tail end is what I give to the kids with no pin bones. My recipe to feed the whole gang when we are out camping (Our annual family camping trip):

Fresh caught trout fillets
propane deep fryer (I use lard like in the old days of cooking when my dad owned a restaurant)
shake n bake Cajun flavor
cover trout filet in egg wash
coat with shake n bake (shake off the excess)
gently drop into hot oil (350F)
I also bring lemon, but it only ends up in our cocktails...lol
serve with mayo or ketchup on the side for the kids

depending on the size of the fillets, usually 3 - 6 minutes per fillet (golden brown color)

The bones are even crunchy! I just end up eating them with no issue and the kids gobble it up without realizing it's fish. When you tell them, then they decide they love fish!

If you are gluten intolerant, just use the egg wash and add salt and pepper to taste or a lemon pepper seasoning instead of the coating mix. My wife loves it this way.

Kokaneeranger
12-03-2013, 07:48 PM
They all sound great Thanks again

Lornce
12-03-2013, 08:27 PM
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq127/LornceLornce/P1040178.jpg

Kokaneeranger
12-04-2013, 12:49 PM
yum

tommyguitar
12-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Calgarychef:
Is there a reason why some trout tend to curl up on the frying pan?
Also, how long in the oven? 10min/pound?
Thank you