PDA

View Full Version : Pcr

Commander B
12-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Fished 3:00 till 9:00. 16 walleye 3 burbs. And the lunker pike from under the dock to the hole and then she left the hook on the edge of the hole. 4 inches quality ice. Bridge looks iffy!!

B.

kevinhits
12-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Fished 3:00 till 9:00. 16 walleye 3 burbs. And the lunker pike from under the dock to the hole and then she left the hook on the edge of the hole. 4 inches quality ice. Bridge looks iffy!!

B.

Which dock are you referring to?

Commander B
12-02-2013, 10:56 AM
We were just north of the boat launch. Refering to the large pike that has been known to snack on walleye caught on the summer dock. Clear ice and laying at the hole i would say close to 36".

B.

Ps. They were loving a small darter or buckshot spoon with a rattle.

Flieguy
12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
I was thinking of heading there today... then I saw the windchill

NEVERMIND

Bubba2u
12-02-2013, 06:05 PM
How do you catch the burbs there ? Don't need a specific spot but I was just wondering about the general tackle/bait. Thanks in advance !

Jjolg123
12-02-2013, 07:17 PM
I've always had good luck using a smelt right off the bottom anytime during dark. It seems soon as night time hits the walleye go nuts for the jig and burbs for smelts on the bottom.

Flieguy
12-02-2013, 08:11 PM
How do you catch the burbs there ? Don't need a specific spot but I was just wondering about the general tackle/bait. Thanks in advance !

this time of year 15-30 FOW is about right, just leave a smelt or small minnow (I find 3-4" is plenty) on a 1/4oz jig head. you can use tip ups or rods in holders. they tend to stay hooked once they bite, so don't worry about getting to the rod quickly. Just make sure your rod can't go down the hole, because it will!

also don't use stinger hooks, they'll just get swallowed and you'll spend more time unhooking the fish than anything else. especially a pain in the arse for those that aren't eating sized. I DO like stingers for the walleye though...

Bubba2u
12-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Hopefully I'll be out this weekend and catch my first !

harrydude
12-02-2013, 08:51 PM
So need to get out fishing

jacenbeers
12-03-2013, 11:21 AM
It is good to hear that burbot still exist in PCR. It seems they are fewer and fewer every year.

Flieguy
12-03-2013, 11:29 AM
^^ sadly, yes... I've only targeted them there the last three years and it's been a steady decline. but they'll never go away entirely.

in theory, they are what's sustaining PCR. their eggs and would be an important food source if the walleye were to ever reach a larger size. be interesting to see the stomach contents of the walleye there.

kevinhits
12-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Yes....Steady decline....Remember about 4 years ago, I was going between each rod pulling a Burb up and as the years gone by, slowed right down...Last year, caught no more than 2 burbs a night...though, I did not stay past 9 or 10...

Flieguy
12-03-2013, 11:38 AM
first time ever burb fishing was there, caught 9 between myself and my father. first 4 holes we drilled. I was just using that Gulp! Alive! plastic stuff in the bucket (I still do when the bite's hot).

never caught that many since then. just 1-3 per person, per night

jacenbeers
12-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Three winters ago we were there when the ice was pretty thin and shady and as soon as the sun went down all 4 rods were constantly busy with burbot action all the way to when we started getting bored at midnight. Every year I go back and it gets slower and slower. This year I didnt even bother and probably wont. PCR is a sad place to go. Between seeing dozens of dead burbot on the ice and the amount of garbage that people leave behind, I just never want to see it again.

ORV
12-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Yes....Steady decline....Remember about 4 years ago, I was going between each rod pulling a Burb up and as the years gone by, slowed right down...Last year, caught no more than 2 burbs a night...though, I did not stay past 9 or 10...

yep. first ice of every season it looked like walmart
parking lot on sale day.

we don,t bother any more. way too much pressure on it. i.m.h.o.

orv.

TROLLER
12-03-2013, 02:41 PM
You can thank the internet for most lakes having less fish than years gone by.

Too many guys willing to give up info not realizing it is being read by at times several hundred.

Same with the perch lakes, one guy pipes up about how good the fishn was and you can count on it being fished hard for the foreseeable future.

Keep bragging what lake you fished, what you used, how many FOW and directions to your spot and you can expect lakes to turn like Cross for perch and now PCR for burbot.

Go to Crawling Valley or those lakes that have good size burbot but harder to catch and you find very little pressure.

Easy to catch and the lake will soon be fished out.

IMHO:)

kevinhits
12-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Three winters ago we were there when the ice was pretty thin and shady and as soon as the sun went down all 4 rods were constantly busy with burbot action all the way to when we started getting bored at midnight. Every year I go back and it gets slower and slower. This year I didnt even bother and probably wont. PCR is a sad place to go. Between seeing dozens of dead burbot on the ice and the amount of garbage that people leave behind, I just never want to see it again.

I agree totally with the decline in the Burb Population.... Though I have not been out enough and never seen Burbot wasted on the ice....But am darn sure there is

kevinhits
12-03-2013, 02:48 PM
^
This has been happening the past years...No offence to you Bubba....Just the way it is

huntsfurfish
12-03-2013, 04:52 PM
You can thank the internet for most lakes having less fish than years gone by.

Too many guys willing to give up info not realizing it is being read by at times several hundred or thousands.

Same with the perch lakes, one guy pipes up about how good the fishn was and you can count on it being fished hard for the foreseeable future.

Keep bragging what lake you fished, what you used, how many FOW and directions to your spot and you can expect lakes to turn like Cross for perch and now PCR for burbot.

Go to Crawling Valley or those lakes that have good size burbot but harder to catch and you find very little pressure.

Easy to catch and the lake will soon be fished out.

IMHO:)

Agree. +(I added the words in red)

A number of people warned about the slide in the burbot fishery on PCR in previous threads do to the "public info age". No surprise at all. And it isn't because of a few left on the ice either.

kevinhits
12-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Agree. +(I added the words in red)

A number of people warned about the slide in the burbot fishery on PCR in previous threads do to the "public info age". No surprise at all. And it isn't because of a few left on the ice either.

AND...No skill involved really in catching them

What I am trying to say is burbs are the easiest fish to catch...IMO:thinking-006:

huntsfurfish
12-03-2013, 10:33 PM

What I am trying to say is burbs are the easiest fish to catch...IMO:thinking-006:

Agree.

Bubba2u
12-04-2013, 07:35 PM
^
This has been happening the past years...No offence to you Bubba....Just the way it is

No, I agree entirely. I think that we should be using our PM's less sparingly. A helpful hint to one good guy just turns into something viewed by hundreds, including some not so ethical, in no time flat.

the local angler
12-05-2013, 03:40 AM
i have fished PCR too and have simular results as most here are saying but the thing that makes me more nervous is how inconsistant the ice is. i have ice fished it all throughout the winter season and seen and heard reports of open ice in areas like the bridge and various spots on the lake. i admit i am not too familiar with that lake and currents and such but my catches is ussually about 6-8 for the whole day if i am lucky so i find the burbots not as easy to catch as i thought.

Gillfisher
12-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Last time I fished Pine Coulee I caught and released a few burbs Iwhich were the first & only ones I have ever caught. I just dropped a green jig with a half a minnow on it right to the bottom and let it sit just off the bottom. You could tell right away that is was not one of the little eyes one usually catches there.

Gillfisher

kevinhits
12-05-2013, 02:33 PM
i have fished PCR too and have simular results as most here are saying but the thing that makes me more nervous is how inconsistant the ice is. i have ice fished it all throughout the winter season and seen and heard reports of open ice in areas like the bridge and various spots on the lake. i admit i am not too familiar with that lake and currents and such but my catches is ussually about 6-8 for the whole day if i am lucky so i find the burbots not as easy to catch as i thought.

It is kinda funny you mentioned that. A couple years back we were drilling holes off the boat launch area about 100ft or so and the ice was 12" thick and stepped out about 15 ft more, drilled holes and it was about 6-8 FT thick or less even...Couldn't believe it

BeeGuy
12-05-2013, 02:37 PM

Ever catch one in a river? Or in summer?

Like with all fish, if you use the right lure, at the right place an time, you'll likely do well.

What fish is hard to catch?

goldscud
12-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Permit on a fly

kevinhits
12-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Ever catch one in a river? Or in summer?

Like with all fish, if you use the right lure, at the right place an time, you'll likely do well.

What fish is hard to catch?

Actually I have caught three in the Red Deer River and with no skill at all...Dropped a Smelt down and bam...Burb...Just like ice fishing at PCR at night:)

drifter
12-05-2013, 06:31 PM

For sure.

BeeGuy
12-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Permit on a fly

Ever get a burb on the fly?

I've only got one without bait during soft water. No easy feat.

martind25
12-06-2013, 05:00 AM
Yes I have (burbot on the fly) On the Bow, with a streamer.

fishermansfriend
12-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Ive caught burb and wally on the fly in red deer

Moefoe
12-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Yes I have (burbot on the fly) On the Bow, with a streamer.

Haha I hooked into one dredging a streamer where the Highwood dumps into the Bow...thought it was a Brown of a lifetime ended up being a Burbot of a lifetime, had to be over 10 lbs!