PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep a log?

Flieguy
12-02-2013, 08:13 PM
I keep a log of every fish I catch, summer and winter. It definitely comes in handy as a reference. who else does this?

Mudslide
12-02-2013, 08:24 PM
I should but I don't. I also have an extensive piling system. I know exactly which pile it's in.

Flieguy
12-02-2013, 08:44 PM
^^ sounds like the backseat of my truck...

bwackwabbit
12-02-2013, 08:47 PM
iFishAblerta app!

fish gunner
12-02-2013, 08:52 PM
One of the best tools an angler can own. Sadly I have not kept a log in many yrs. Small waters make one lazy .

Don Andersen
12-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Keep a log since 1970. Memory sometimes gets fuzzy. Lots of things learned.

Don

KWO
12-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I just started keeping fishing and hunting logs this year. My son started hunting this year so I bought him a nice little leather-bound book to start capturing memories with. I am now starting to better understand that it can be a great tool too. I wish I had started years ago.

pikergolf
12-02-2013, 11:59 PM
I keep a log of every trip, it is especially useful for projecting hatches and water temp.

Gust
12-03-2013, 12:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTrAVpK9blw

fish gunner
12-03-2013, 12:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTrAVpK9blw

Truly great, SPACEMADNESS.

Don Andersen
12-03-2013, 07:42 AM
And now there is an app for that although I'd be very reluctant to use it for long term storage.
Electronic stuff dies every now and then. The Dead Sea Scrolls lasted a long time...

Don

bwackwabbit
12-03-2013, 07:49 AM
And now there is an app for that although I'd be very reluctant to use it for long term storage.
Electronic stuff dies every now and then. The Dead Sea Scrolls lasted a long time...

Don

Totally agree, that's why it's nice to be able to print it to good old paper right from the app.

Plus iFishAlberta keeps a backup for you in the cloud included in the price of the app.

Bigdad013
12-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Kept a log now for 10 years, every fish we have caught. We have on it, depth, speed, water temp, weather conditions, location, time of day, lure and hours fished. Found it very helpful when things are slow, go back a couple years for same time and conditions and see what lure is working etc. Even record skunked days, yes it does happen...lol

waterninja
12-03-2013, 02:07 PM
i don't keep a detailed log of each trip but i do record how many fish (and species) i catch each trip on a calender. i also record how many klicks it is from my home to a particular fishing spot.
worst entry on the calender is SKUNKED, lol

MoFugger21
12-03-2013, 02:27 PM
I haven't yet, but am hoping to start once I'm able to get out more. Wish I would have started earlier, but whatcha gonna do.

CanadianBadass
12-03-2013, 03:25 PM
I personally Log every fish I get , Even If its a sucker, I like to record all the data !

The Reel Deal
12-03-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtravpk9blw

m e m o r i e s!!!!

Fishfinder
12-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I should but I don't. Definitely a good idea, makes sense.

I've tried in the past but ended up forgetting about it too often, then I tried going by memory and filling in the blanks, then I caught myself lying to myself about the size and amount of fish I had caught. :p

kmic
12-05-2013, 12:39 PM
I try to some extent. Its more of a fishing/hunting journal but i try to get in some weather info, numbers caught, species caught etc.
It can be very interesting to look back and see the differences from year to year. Has it helped me catch more fish/game? Probably not.

Red Neck
12-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I use to keep a semi-detailed log of each trip. It was amazingly useful, sadly I don't any more I wish I had kept it up. I found an old one and really enjoyed reading how my now 31 year old son was with us from when he could walk. According to log book he slept a lot back then. You really should keep one and keep it up!
Red Neck Out
:scared0018:

Gust
12-05-2013, 04:15 PM
The log never lies.

Junglefisher
12-05-2013, 04:19 PM
No way, I fish for fun not as a job.

Brandonkop
12-05-2013, 06:14 PM
I catch too many to keep track, haha, jk!

I used to log my trips including:
Location, weather, time of day, what we were fishing for, where on the lake, how many we caught. Have about 6 years logged in early 2000's

What I realized is when it really comes down to it a log doesn't change much. If I want to go fishing I go fishing. I don't wait till the weather, wind, barometric pressures and all the stars are aligned.

I enjoy getting pictures and video now which is how I like to log my trips!

lippy
12-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Started writing down my fishing experiences in the late seventies. I have about 6 journals and 3 smaller books that I have done dating to about 2002.They are helpful especially when I am fly fishing and I can look over a journal from previous outings before going out. It isn't all fishing info. I read over some of them once in awhile and a lot of good memories in them! My fishing partner years back in the 80s was particularly fond of my trout journals from Police Lake, Crowsnest Pass area and Cypress Hills area...he even went so far as to ask if I would "put in my will that he would get them when I was gone" lol..

fish gunner
12-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Started writing down my fishing experiences in the late seventies. I have about 6 journals and 3 smaller books that I have done dating to about 2002.They are helpful especially when I am fly fishing and I can look over a journal from previous outings before going out. It isn't all fishing info. I read over some of them once in awhile and a lot of good memories in them! My fishing partner years back in the 80s was particularly fond of my trout journals from Police Lake, Crowsnest Pass area and Cypress Hills area...he even went so far as to ask if I would "put in my will that he would get them when I was gone" lol..

I bow to the greatness you journal's have aa resource.