PDA

View Full Version : ION ice augers

mooseknuckle
12-04-2013, 12:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlmhZ0SY7yY

I was looking at these the other day. Seems pretty cool. I've had terrible luck with gas augers in the past, and don't want to mess with propane augers, or electric cables.

Your thoughts?

Gust
12-04-2013, 12:48 PM
My Dad and I were looking at it last week, and his complaint was that it's too short and he was worried on the 20 inch max bore and how cold it gets and how hard on batteries that can be (He's old and of grumpy pants age, so I just let him ramble).

I like it as it's light and doesn't require lugging around gas.

It's hard to get honest cons on a product that someone just dropped 500 bux on,, nobody wants to admit that it may have been a bad decision.

cube
12-04-2013, 01:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlmhZ0SY7yY

I was looking at these the other day. Seems pretty cool. I've had terrible luck with gas augers in the past, and don't want to mess with propane augers, or electric cables.

Your thoughts?

If I was going electric I would go with the Kluge system
http://www.ice-fisherman.com/
http://icefishingtoday.com/pages/buy_ice_fishing_accesories.php

lighter and more versatile than the ION. Can use the drill and batteries for other things. Easier to keep the smaller batteries warm in a pocket.

Personally I use gas as it's cheap and very available. Much cheaper than replacement batteries and much easier to find. Though if you already had the drill the Kluge system would not be that bad on price and sure would be light.

Good luck on whatever you choose

mooseknuckle
12-04-2013, 02:07 PM
My Dad and I were looking at it last week, and his complaint was that it's too short and he was worried on the 20 inch max bore and how cold it gets and how hard on batteries that can be (He's old and of grumpy pants age, so I just let him ramble).

I like it as it's light and doesn't require lugging around gas.

It's hard to get honest cons on a product that someone just dropped 500 bux on,, nobody wants to admit that it may have been a bad decision.

X2 Always tough to get an honest opinion, chances are if someone bought it, they think its the best.

I may just roll the dice.

Mike_W
12-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I really like mine!
Weight is great, instant start, fast cutting.

The height is a little short but not bad .... There is a extension if you are concerned.
The only con would be and very minor was on mine the safety trigger was small and on the side of the handle but I noticed yesterday at the fishin hole the there is a palm safety on the new model!

crudedude
12-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Hello, just purchased the Ion two weeks ago. I have used it just to drill through 6" of ice. The unit is awesome. It comes with an extension. Paid $499.00 at Cabelas. I will now be selling my gas augers.:)

Ken07AOVette
12-04-2013, 07:20 PM
I like electric, but I wanted a 10" hole so went gas

bloom
12-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Have it and love it. Put the extension on that it comes with and you'll have more than enough length.

Lots of positives.

Only con....the battery can 'occasionally' freeze up if you leave it out on the ice. It's suggested you take the battery into the shanty or take the battery off and put it in your jacket. I've never had it freeze up on me, but I have heard it can sometimes happen. Heading out this weekend and I'll pop the battery off and through it in my shanty until I need it again.

bwackwabbit
12-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Second season w/mine, Zero buyers remorse.

With the extension (which is included btw unlike most of the others) it ran through 12"-32" of ice on Sylvan and Gull last season no problem. This season it has breezed through the 6"-8" trout pond holes I needed 20 per trip usually.
Only time it has let me down is when I forgot to charge it...lol.

I dunno quick, quiet, light and clean what's not to like?

kinwahkly
12-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Have had one for the past year no issues so far

stampsfan
12-05-2013, 06:38 AM
I like electric, but I wanted a 10" hole so went gas

This is my debate right now, I like the idea of the Ion but would rather have a 10" hole. So was thinking Z71.... :thinking-006:

Supergrit
12-05-2013, 06:57 AM
To people that have had the ion auger for a couple of years is the battery as a good as when u first bought it.

Mike_W
12-05-2013, 09:34 AM
This is my debate right now, I like the idea of the Ion but would rather have a 10" hole. So was thinking Z71.... :thinking-006:

I have a 10 inch Jiffy and the Ion 8inch
I use the 8 inch for everything from walleye, perch, whitefish, burbot, basically where 99% of the fish are under 10 lbs an 8 inch hole is perfect.

The only time I bring out the 10 Inch is when I am fishing for Lakers or trophy size pike.

The beauty of an 8 inch hole while slightly harder to get fish into it is harder for fish to turn in the hole .....I have lost fish in the hole that were unable to turn around and I was able to just grab them.

Watch the pros ice fishing ......99% of the time they only use an 8 inch hole even when pulling out 10 lb walleye

Also a 10 inch hole takes longer to drill and more toruque / weight to spin.

Drill 10 / 10inch holes through 24 inches of ice with my 32lb jiffy and then 10 / 8inch holes with my 20 lb Ion. You will be much quicker and in the end you wont be tired with the Ion

stampsfan
12-05-2013, 02:09 PM
I have a 10 inch Jiffy and the Ion 8inch
I use the 8 inch for everything from walleye, perch, whitefish, burbot, basically where 99% of the fish are under 10 lbs an 8 inch hole is perfect.

The only time I bring out the 10 Inch is when I am fishing for Lakers or trophy size pike.

The beauty of an 8 inch hole while slightly harder to get fish into it is harder for fish to turn in the hole .....I have lost fish in the hole that were unable to turn around and I was able to just grab them.

Watch the pros ice fishing ......99% of the time they only use an 8 inch hole even when pulling out 10 lb walleye

Also a 10 inch hole takes longer to drill and more toruque / weight to spin.

Drill 10 / 10inch holes through 24 inches of ice with my 32lb jiffy and then 10 / 8inch holes with my 20 lb Ion. You will be much quicker and in the end you wont be tired with the Ion

True, good advise. Maybe there will be some descent Boxing day/week sales.