PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing For Trout

Stella
12-05-2013, 09:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried ice fishing for trout after dark? If so, how was it? I know in the summer the trout feed better at nite and I was wondering if this held true in the winter also. I am kinda interested to give it a try as I know other species feed better during the dark hours. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Game Hunter
12-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Usually when I go to my local trout reservoir, we start before dark and fish an hour after the sun sets, getting as much fishing in as we can in.
I've found we catch the odd fish or two in the dark, which are usually our biggest catches but it's deffinatly not the hottest time to catch fish. They feed with just a bit of light. IMO I don't think trout see that great once it gets darker, I tend to use jigs that glow to help that out.

1bluZebec
12-05-2013, 12:21 PM
just after dark is when ive landed my largest too. 3pm till 6pm is about where I found them to be most cooperative with my offerings lol

Stella
12-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks. I am usually at my spot early morning but leave around 2pm. So next I am out maybe I will go later and stay an hour past dark. Try that out mayb. Can not hurt. thanks again!

Red Neck
12-05-2013, 12:44 PM
I fish all the little trout ponds out west quiet regularly. I also agree the big mommas will eat late, but as they are trout you usually only get 1 shot at them 2 if your lucky so be ready. But that's the name of the game:sHa_shakeshout:
Just get outside and enjoy:):)
Red Neck Out
:scared0018:

chop
12-05-2013, 05:12 PM
going to punch some holes tomorrow after work. may have to give this a try

Brandonkop
12-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Good Luck out there after dark!

From my experience I'll stay out after the sun goes down. Usually the bite pics up right as the sun is disappearing over the horizon. Then over the next hour you can still get a few trout. But once it is actually getting dark things seem to shut down. A few times I've caught one right as I was packing up on the set rod or tip-down in shallow water. Never stayed longer though so who knows what would have happened. Adding a glow lure with scent like powerbait or Procure may increase your odds after dark as fish rely more on their lateral line and nonvisual senses at dark.

Northwinds
12-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I have found that you will get more bites before dawn than after sunset with trout.Trout are very active just before daybreak under the ice.

angrybeaver
12-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Everyone is bang on...but past that hour or two..nothing. For kicks, I went out with my brother one night at midnight and didn't even get a sniff until just before dawn. What a way to lose a few hours of sleep!