PDA

View Full Version : Quad winch rig for on the ice

FishHunterPro
12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Does anyone remember the quad winch thread that went around last season , it was a great idea and looking to make one. Buddy made a 3ft pole and attached it to his quad winch and if he got stuck on the ice he would auger a hole and throw the bar down and tug him self out. It was a great idea and I just want to see a pic again of how he made it before I just try from scratch .

Cheers !

bwackwabbit
12-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Does anyone remember the quad winch thread that went around last season , it was a great idea and looking to make one. Buddy made a 3ft pole and attached it to his quad winch and if he got stuck on the ice he would auger a hole and throw the bar down and tug him self out. It was a great idea and I just want to see a pic again of how he made it before I just try from scratch .

Cheers !

Interested in this myself (search was no help...lol).

Alberta Bigbore
12-06-2013, 05:46 AM
That is an awesome idea!

Kingfisher8
12-06-2013, 09:05 AM
I’ve been using this technique for years with my truck. It’s no fun getting your truck unstuck by yourself. I use to drill a hole half way into the ice at an angle and put a fence post in to winch my truck out, until it dawned on me to use a bar. I spend 5 years creating different winch bars and finally came up with two. I even tried to get a patent on one, but it was going to cost 10 000 plus dollars and who has that laying around. The one I was going to get patent was spring loaded, but if you left it in the box of your truck it tended to freeze up. The other method is easy for anyone to make. Get a solid metal rod over 14 inches long and attach two muffler clamps to each end of the rod. The muffler clamps will have to be no more than 8 inches apart. They will have to fit in an 8 inch hole. Now attach a cable to each muffler clamp to form a “V”. The “V” is very important if you want to get your bar back up the hole. To pull your bar back up, all you have to do is push one cable down and lift up on the other cable, which will make the bar go vertical, so you can pull it up the hole. I carry one with me all the time.

Game Hunter
12-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Lets see some pics?

I’ve been using this technique for years with my truck. It’s no fun getting your truck unstuck by yourself. I use to drill a hole half way into the ice at an angle and put a fence post in to winch my truck out, until it dawned on me to use a bar. I spend 5 years creating different winch bars and finally came up with two. I even tried to get a patent on one, but it was going to cost 10 000 plus dollars and who has that laying around. The one I was going to get patent was spring loaded, but if you left it in the box of your truck it tended to freeze up. The other method is easy for anyone to make. Get a solid metal rod over 14 inches long and attach two muffler clamps to each end of the rod. The muffler clamps will have to be no more than 8 inches apart. They will have to fit in an 8 inch hole. Now attach a cable to each muffler clamp to form a “V”. The “V” is very important if you want to get your bar back up the hole. To pull your bar back up, all you have to do is push one cable down and lift up on the other cable, which will make the bar go vertical, so you can pull it up the hole. I carry one with me all the time.

winmag
12-06-2013, 11:22 PM
i have used a pipe rig for years ,will try to post on weekend with pictures

EZM
12-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Same idea ...... drill a hole and wrap your cable twice around a 4 x 4 piece of fence post about 16"-18" long. Slot it in the hole and slowly take up the slack - once she snugs up she will be solid ...... winch away.

Wood floats - but it's a good idea if there is two of you to have someone guide the slack out.

Donkey Slayer
12-07-2013, 06:54 AM
3 2x6s screwed together, winch from the lowest point just at ice level

Lambo
12-07-2013, 07:09 AM
I carry a cordless drill and a couple 3/4"x10" long lag bolts. Drill 5/8" pilot hole, drive lag bolt 8" into ice, hook onto bolt and winch away. Very strong.

Shmag
12-07-2013, 07:27 AM
I use my boat anchor....the anchor with the 4 folding fins on it and has the collar to lock them folded up or lock them down. I just tape the collar up as high as it will go just so it doesn't lock the blades down.

Tie a rope on both ends....set it down the way you would in a boat, once past the ice the blades lay down and are too wide to come back up the width of the hole...after the winch job is done....lower anchor grab the other rope and bring it back upside down, the blades fold back up....wa laa.

I only used it with my quad but thinking the bigger anchors would be plenty big enough for trucks... Also the other end of the rope (Not the one I winch from) that one is about 6-7 ft long and I tape the end back to the main line but leave a couple feet slack...it could tangle in the anchor I guess but hasn't in the couple times I used it...

Sooner
12-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Couple years ago I went to Calling lake, looked at the snow and drifts at the launch and said not driving on. Then someone seen me with my winch and comes waving their arms. Needed a tug out. So i tried to get through the drift, no go. 1 ton hung up to the axles. Drilled a hole in the ice, cut a 6 inch tree from shore, dropped it down and winched out. Then drove over to the guy and winched him out. The pole in the ice worked real nice. I bet a long enough 4x4 piece of wood would work for a quad.

Pixel Shooter
12-08-2013, 06:06 PM
just posted in other forum, what your looking for

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=201574

bwackwabbit
12-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Thx Shooter!

vetterm39
12-09-2013, 12:49 AM
i have used drill pipe casing...about 7" OD with chain link welded to it at top. i use a small one for quad and 1 about 2.5 feet long for truck....both work like a charm

javlin101
12-09-2013, 09:32 AM
I fixed my problem and bought a sled. :sHa_shakeshout: