PDA

View Full Version : Large Ice shelters

Icenewb
12-05-2013, 06:08 PM
First post so, Hi. I am getting geared up here and want to buy an ice shelter. Been reading reviews about all brands and really what I gather is none of them are a slam dunk. I kind of want a Clam Big Foot XL6000 TC Ice Shelter just for the large area but wondering if I should go with the big Eskimo. Any thoughts?

The Fisherman Guy
12-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I recommend the Eskimo 6 man pop up over the Clam.

After purchasing a clam a few years ago, and being disappointed with the quality of the construction, I returned it and bought the Eskimo.

The double tent design is definitely the way to go, I've never fished 6 in it, but two people and gear fit nicely. We never fish more than three in it, just for comfort.

It has zero issues after 2 seasons and a few trips this year.

Partner it with a Big Buddy heater and even in -30 with wind we are very warm inside.

Icenewb
12-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Ya I was lookin at the Fatfish 9416 but the material isnt as thick so thats when I started looking at the Clam. The Clam footprint is pretty impressive and had wondered if the big buddy was enough to do the trick. Thanks for the confirmation.

AppleJax
12-05-2013, 06:54 PM
4th season in my Frabill Hub 6 person. No issues. I want to buy the Clam 1660 mag next, that thing is huge! Either way you go I don't think you"ll be dissapointed. Welcome to the forum!

Jack&7
12-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I have the Clam Command Post 6 man and I actually like the construction quality. I also really like the heavier material.

Price was good too at the time I bought it. $250.

EZM
12-05-2013, 10:38 PM
I have the Eskimo 949i - it is very well insulated and very well built. It's a 4 man - but really 2-3 guys, with gear, sonar, camera, heater etc.... and you still have some room. It's 8ft x 8ft.

Insulated is the way to go - you might be in the market for the bigger version - 9416 ( I believe it comes in a insulated version as well).