PDA

View Full Version : Do you watch the Lunar Cycle?

The Reel Deal
12-05-2013, 10:41 PM
I have an app that tells me the lunar cycle and i can't keep my eyes off it when fishing. When I'm on the ice, its like clockwork, I know exactly when to anticipate my flag going up.
I only fish for pike in the winter, but I find I'm only getting strikes during these peak times? :angry3:
Does anyone else experience this?

Gust
12-05-2013, 10:46 PM
My Dad watches the cycles more than I but there's definitely something to it. Barometric too, that's the one I watch. As far as "wind from the east, fish bite least" and similar rhymes we haven't noticed a difference.

The Reel Deal
12-05-2013, 10:49 PM
I've noticed a change in the baro more producive in the summer.

Speckle55
12-05-2013, 10:55 PM
I do:reading:

for Hunting and Fishing also for the Lady's:love:

David:)

BeeGuy
12-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Yes.

I have this bookmarked on my phone browser.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=55&month=12&year=2013&obj=moon&afl=-11&day=1

Dec 15-18 should be some of the best trout fishing of the season IMO.

Time will tell.

DiabeticKripple
12-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Yes.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=55&month=12&year=2013&obj=moon&afl=-11&day=1

Time will tell.

i have 3 weeks off coming up. lets slay hundreds of rockies

The Reel Deal
12-05-2013, 11:04 PM
I use The Fishing Calandar. Best $5 i ever spent.

Brandonkop
12-06-2013, 12:50 AM
The only correlation I've found is fish bite best in the early morning and late afternoon to evening. Through the majority of the day there seems to me a decrease in action, but I move like crazy to find the fish that are eating which seems to help better than looking at a lunar calendar.

Pierroy
12-06-2013, 07:07 AM
I sure notice a lousy walleye bite on slave lake ice fishing when the wind is from the east

Freedom55
12-06-2013, 08:17 AM
My Dad watches the cycles more than I but there's definitely something to it. Barometric too, that's the one I watch. As far as "wind from the east, fish bite least" and similar rhymes we haven't noticed a difference.

The slogan regarding an east wind can be associated with a low pressure system in that a low pressure boundary produces a counter-clockwise flow, hence the easterlies.

In conjunction with that, the correlation between barometric pressure and fish feeding activities has to do with the change in pressures. During a sustained period of low pressure, fish just naturally slow down their feeding activities. But during the transition period, particularly with an increase in barometric pressure (but the same holds true when the pressure is dropping) fish generally tend to increase their feeding activities.

Lee Valley tools sells an inexpensive pressure gauge that requires a two inch mounting hole so I have one in my den and another on board the Lund. I swear by the barometer and use it to determine the better fishing days to try to maximize the fuel/fish ratio.

Free

Kokaneeranger
12-06-2013, 10:28 AM
I have the "IFish" and "Solunar" apps and haven't quite figured them out yet. I've actually compared their times and dates with my pics I have taken and I have done way better on the days marked "poor" rather than "excellent". The times during the days however have been somewhat consistent with what they suggest on the apps. I mostly fish for trout and I have noticed the best times to be early morning regardless of their suggestions. It has been my experience that trout are less likely to take your hooks during the days of full or new moons because they are stuffing themselves during the nights, on days of " low illumination"-they seems more willing to take what they can get during the day. I am curious to try your apps guys and hopefully make more sense of this. Whatcha think??

Kokaneeranger
12-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Yes.

Time will tell.
I hope you are right Bee, I took a look at you calendar an I'm expecting to have better luck just before the new year. It's great fun trying to figure these things out though lol

Jack&7
12-06-2013, 01:00 PM
This is my go-to site...

I like it because it is site specific. Use the google map to mark your fave fishing spot (GPS coord. are provided) and then adjust your time zone and the calendar will update according to these two pieces of data. Plus you can print off a calendar for the month.

http://www.huntfishsport.com/web.aspx?cmd=calendar

fish gunner
12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Like an osprey, on big tough lakes like kootaney you can set your watch to the primes. I find some spots have a little offset. the red deer river is 30min in front of most tables I use. It wont dictate if I fish or not,but it will up my effort if its a good prime.

Gust
12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
On the show Cheers, Norm was explaining to Diane that he drinks beer on a cold day for the same reason people drink hot tea on a hot day. Diane then asks Norm, then why do you drink a cold beer on a hot day?, to which Norm replies, Why not?

Despite barometers and where the moon is it has yet to determine if we are going fishing or not,, of course we're going fishing, why not?

1bluZebec
12-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Exactly:) no matter what the weather and lunar cycles say, a good time is anytime when it comes to going fishing. I tried to put it to the test in the past and i had like previously stated found that I caught bigger fish and more fish when it said I shouldn't and visa versa:sign0111: