PDA

View Full Version : Getting whites to bite

DidsburyBowHunter
12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
When i go ice fishing for them it seems like i have a decent location with plenty of fish around, its getting them to show interest in my hooks, hardly ever switch from the wireworm but willing to try anything at this point.

fishman
12-06-2013, 01:12 PM
try stirring the bottom up by bouncing your hook off the bottom which sometimes wakes them up

Mike_W
12-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Try a maggot or two on they wireworm and make sure your wire worm is sitting as horizontal as possible!

Marlin07
12-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Horizontal wire worm is key, try 4lb flourocarbon as well. I also find working the entire water colomn.

If all else fails stop paying attention when fishing, the whites have a way of showing up when you least expect it!

Speckle55
12-06-2013, 02:05 PM
here is a good read I agree with writer

remember too be the bug ..I use the backswimmer jerk... stop and repeat
http://social.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=fishing-articles&articleId=120

David:)

When i go ice fishing for them it seems like i have a decent location with plenty of fish around, its getting them to show interest in my hooks, hardly ever switch from the wireworm but willing to try anything at this point.

1bluZebec
12-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Try a maggot or two on they wireworm and make sure your wire worm is sitting as horizontal as possible!

x2:)

DidsburyBowHunter
12-06-2013, 02:49 PM
interesting!! i have never really paid attention how horizontally my wire worm was. will have to give that a try!!!

Gslice
12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
It most definitely needs to be horizontal. My first time out i didn't know this and failed miserably... Usually, you will get a few very hungry stragglers that will seem to have darted out of nowhere across your hole and take your lure, but the majority of them will passively swim right by unless your presentation is right at the level of their eyes. When they do take interest in your hook, they will often take several bites in 1 lunge before fully taking the lure in. So don't get too excited and set the hook too too fast ;)

I've never tried tipping with maggots, but I've been pretty successful without it anyways.

Speckle55
12-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Very very very important tip from 2 Old Guys Ice Fishing:sign0016:
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/Hunting/David_zps5b5b99de.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Speckle55/media/Hunting/David_zps5b5b99de.jpg.html)

interesting!! i have never really paid attention how horizontally my wire worm was. will have to give that a try!!!

Ques
12-06-2013, 04:05 PM
I use a small green and black spoon. Frog

They hammer that thing hard

Richmuiz
12-06-2013, 04:33 PM
I use a small green and black spoon. Frog

They hammer that thing hard

X2 with a wax worm fake or real

Rockjockey
12-06-2013, 05:06 PM
At Lac St Anne we used to bounce a 00 copper len thompson on the bottom and in Wabamum this sounds crazy but a copper wire worm with a fresh dab of red nail polish on hook at the bend. Not sure what it was about the polish but they would come in and slam it.
Horizontal wire worm was also the key. Vertical and they ignored it.

linger
12-06-2013, 09:45 PM
just wondering do you keep jigging when you see them come in I find that a lot of times it spooks them. and they will turn at the last second. try keeping the wire worm still see if that works:)

1bluZebec
12-06-2013, 09:51 PM
just wondering do you keep jigging when you see them come in I find that a lot of times it spooks them. and they will turn at the last second. try keeping the wire worm still see if that works:)

X2 that's right;)

DidsburyBowHunter
12-07-2013, 12:12 AM

No not really, i usually keep it still, maybe drop it a pinch, I have been fishing for them for a couple of years, i just know i could produce better numbers than in previous trips. thanks for all the suggestions guys.

edsonfisherman
12-07-2013, 10:07 AM
For whites I use a pink wireworm tipped with a waxworm. In 2005 I used this on Wabamun and limited out on whites in 10min. It was kinda funny the old guy that was fishing a few feet from me got out of his tent and came over after the third whitefish hit the ice. Gave him a spare wireworm and the rest of my waxworms before I went home.

slew
12-07-2013, 10:19 AM
horizobtal placement is key. lube gear with the wd40 or liquid wrench. keep jigging thru biting action. do not stop. when they are more dormant. grab a stick and stir up bottom of hole until it is cloudy. this makes them active as they sense a pike in area. they hit hard for about 30 min. when it slows down stir hole again

Bushmonkey
12-07-2013, 10:50 AM
horizobtal placement is key. lube gear with the wd40 or liquid wrench. keep jigging thru biting action. do not stop. when they are more dormant. grab a stick and stir up bottom of hole until it is cloudy. this makes them active as they sense a pike in area. they hit hard for about 30 min. when it slows down stir hole again

dont use WD40 or liquid wrench.

buy scent that's not going to polute.

slew
12-07-2013, 11:10 AM
wd40 is all you need. keeps your gear nice and rust free. not sure how wiping a marshmellow on your reel will keep it running smooth. but hey if it works for ya then fill your shorts

Tyangelo
12-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Considering WD40 is a cleaner and not a lubricant, I'll leave that to you. Please dont pollute the lakes.be most appreciated.

The insides of my reels get a shot of motorcycle chain lube. Works killer.

Also FYI. Prey fish don't suddenly feed more aggressively if they sense a predator around... Stirring up the bottom with something nice n flashy tricks whites into thinking another white is feeding. Being schooling fish, its in their best interest to see what the hubub is about and get in on the foraging.

To the OP, fish shallow. 10-12 ft max. Shallower later in the season.

Gold, red, and yellow are your tickets. Try different combos.

4 lb mono or flouro is great.

80% of the time the whites are camera shy.

Whites are attracted to flash. If youre not seeing any, drop a Thompson 4 or a Williams down, bounce bottom, and jig the crap out of it for 15-30 secs. (Hang on, because you might just trip that 25 lb gator that scared off all the fish.) Reel in, switch rods, and drop your WW, bell, or spoon down immediatly.

Landed over 200 whites last winter. (Threw a lot back).

Tight lines!:cheers:

slew
12-07-2013, 04:02 PM
the wd40 I use is a good lubricant. you must have bought the wrong can. ya the stirring up the bottoms works great for white. I usally limit out in a couple of hours. yellow wworms. I once limited out in twenty minutes at wabanum. all by stirring the bottom. it makes them think a pike is near and they scatter then on the way back they bite

Bushmonkey
12-07-2013, 06:08 PM
wd40 is all you need. keeps your gear nice and rust free. not sure how wiping a marshmellow on your reel will keep it running smooth. but hey if it works for ya then fill your shorts

I thought you were using WD40 as scent for your hooks. I've seen other people do it and its poluting.

ddddd05
12-08-2013, 10:31 PM
I sometimes use a jiggin rap. I get the smallest silver or perch coloured one and it catches whites. Perch, pike and walleye will also hit it.

Wireworms are probably better, but the jiggin rap works good and it allows you to catch other species at the same time.

Kim473
12-09-2013, 04:19 AM
If your jigging and a fish comes in for a look, don't stop jiging. If your hook is still and a fish comes in for a look, don't move the hook. Keep doing what your doing. I like to twitch my hook, hold the line in the fingers and maybe move the finger about 1/4" to 1/2" so that the wire worm makes a tiny dart, Do this for 5 to 10 sec pause for 20 sec and repeat. As said before, hook horizontal is a must, and very your depth in the water columb untill you find the depth they are at.

WhitefishLady
12-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Never caught a lake white before and would love to this year! Some great discussion on this thread. Question how do you keep your wire worm horizontal? Is there a special type? I've used the wire worm flies before with no luck but I'm pretty sure they stayed vertical without any current. Thanks!

BEL
12-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Tie the wire worm on as tight as you can. Then simply grab the line and turn the hook sideways till it lays horizontal. If you have tied it tight you may have to adjust it occasionally, otherwise it may constantly hang down. No real trick with knots, etc. Another trick: previous posters have indicated depth and color choices. They are correct. I put on 3 different colored wire worms spaced about 1 1/2 feet to 2 feet apart. Tie the top 2 flies on with the Palomar knot. Hope this helps. BEL

Doubledroptine
12-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Does this technic help with perch too ? I've never tried putting my lure horizontal.

Mike_W
12-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Yes pretty much with all fish.

drhu22
12-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Does this technic help with perch too ? I've never tried putting my lure horizontal.

Yup...
Everyone seems to use wire worms, but for both perch and wf these were our "go to" hooks.... horizontal with the hook (concave side) up and tipped with a maggot or two.
Concave side up makes them swim when jigged... dad use to call them russian hooks. Something like these but we used silver with a dab of red just where the hook bends away from the body:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXNdwWXxs7MYwfL0UhdHKmd88eEho1D gr4z94_q_m9bIz2xMrqAA

Consider that my Christmas present to everyone, as I have never seen them mentioned here (though they probaly have been).

PS: Always make sure your maggot(s) are fresh... ie: change them after 20/30 minutes.

DidsburyBowHunter
12-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Great stuff guys! One more question, i used to fish with just one wireworm then have a little split shot about a foot and a half above for weight. if you were to tie more than one on at different depths what would be the best way to do it?

Jamie Black R/T
12-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Yup...
Everyone seems to use wire worms, but for both perch and wf these were our "go to" hooks.... horizontal with the hook (concave side) up and tipped with a maggot or two.
Concave side up makes them swim when jigged... dad use to call them russian hooks. Something like these but we used silver with a dab of red just where the hook bends away from the body:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXNdwWXxs7MYwfL0UhdHKmd88eEho1D gr4z94_q_m9bIz2xMrqAA

Consider that my Christmas present to everyone, as I have never seen them mentioned here (though they probaly have been).

PS: Always make sure your maggot(s) are fresh... ie: change them after 20/30 minutes.

i grew up calling those flutter spoons as thats what my uncle called them. i have one silver one that has probably iced 500 whitefish over the last couple decades.

that with a yellow wireworm tied in line about a foot above spells whitefish doom :)

Mike_W
12-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Great stuff guys! One more question, i used to fish with just one wireworm then have a little split shot about a foot and a half above for weight. if you were to tie more than one on at different depths what would be the best way to do it?

typically you are only fishing 5-15 and a wireworm is heavy enough to be fished alone no need for the split shot and since you should only use 4 lb mono or fluro (knots significantly reduce the breaking strength)I wouldn't tie another hook in line ....if you must I would tie a little split ring or swivel and have the second wireworm just fee sliding above the ring or swivel. I like the palomar know for pretty much everything.

drhu22
12-09-2013, 08:52 PM
i grew up calling those flutter spoons as thats what my uncle called them. i have one silver one that has probably iced 500 whitefish over the last couple decades.

that with a yellow wireworm tied in line about a foot above spells whitefish
doom :)

I did an image search on flutter spoons and didnt get the same as russian hook, but check these out!:

http://flutterspoon.blogspot.ca/2012/12/liveaction-flutter-spoons.html

DROOOL....
Anyone know if these can be bought in Calgary?

PS: Sorry for OT post... I didnt know if this was worth its own thread.

CanuckShooter
12-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Just curious....do you fellows eat those WF?? I tried one once and it was so full of bones...perhaps you pressure cook them?

SNAPFisher
12-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Just curious....do you fellows eat those WF?? I tried one once and it was so full of bones...perhaps you pressure cook them?

Fillet them boneless. They are easy for that.

DidsburyBowHunter
12-09-2013, 10:35 PM
We normally release all of our fish including whites. But this year i have some new roommates that have some amazing recipes, so ill be bringing back a couple from sylvan/gull for sure.

rmillsfishing
12-09-2013, 10:56 PM
I have never caught a white fish at what depth can you find them at this time of year. or do you just run and gun till you find them??

DidsburyBowHunter
12-09-2013, 11:15 PM
in my personal experience we normally see the most around 5-10 feet. we seem to catch more around 12 feet though even though we see less fish. Im sure other guys might disagree, and they might be more right lol, but we never go past 15 ft to fish them. dropping a camera in to see if they are there really helps for the shallower depths ~5 ft because your field of view is a lot smaller than 10-12ft so you might see less down the hole around 5 ft even though there are more around. but hopefully with nice, clear line and a few tweaks to the hook set up, we should be producing more fish shallower. to be honest though, you can't get to lost out there at the more popular areas. its like a small town out there lol

Jamie Black R/T
12-10-2013, 10:38 AM

x2....the jumbos are even easier.

one of my favorite fish for the smoker.

Hunter Trav
12-10-2013, 12:11 PM

Yup, and into the smoker after that. But one day I will try Snap's method which sounds delish...:D

Speckle55
12-10-2013, 10:43 PM
here are the Whitefish hooks I have use over the years.. the Russian Tear Drops are there on the right side

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2013-14/attachment121UP21W_zpsa68514f1.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Speckle55/media/2013-14/attachment121UP21W_zpsa68514f1.jpg.html)

Doubledroptine
12-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Doesn't anyone use the Wetaskiwin special anymore ?

BPman
12-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Doesn't anyone use the Wetaskiwin special anymore ?

I catch 90% of my whites on the Wetaskiwin Special - brass, copper and chartreuse seem best for me. I make my own from 1/32" or slightly thicker brass or copper sheet.

Bouncing bottom and up 2-3" works as does jigging 6-24" off bottom and then let it hang still for 10 - 15 seconds: they often seem to like to inhale it as soon as it stops moving so the line just jerks tight.

SonnyCovin
12-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Check out what WD40 is made of. before saying no to it.

.270fan
12-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Check out what WD40 is made of. before saying no to it.

From the MSDS

it looks pretty toxic to me

GTZ
12-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Would whites be considered camera shy seeing that they're so finicky?

canadiantdi
12-12-2013, 10:38 PM

One time while fishing at Wab, there were no Pike around, but a bunch of whites were circling constantly. I had a 3-4 inch smelt on a treble and they were constantly picking at it. I had never caught a white so I put on a tiny yellow jig with a rubber tail and a tiny piece of a smelt. It worked! Good luck!

Edit: If I remember correctly, I just had the bait around 3-6 inches from the bottom. Can't remember if I was bouncing it.. They seem to hang around lot's so it's easy to see what they like. I have a camera so it makes it quite a bit easier!

Mike_W
12-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Would whites be considered camera shy seeing that they're so finicky?

Yes in my experience they are very camera shy!

I don't let guys I fish with use one unless they want to go 20 yards away from me.

They don't flee the area but they just get tight lipped.

Jamie Black R/T
12-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Yes in my experience they are very camera shy!

I don't let guys I fish with use one unless they want to go 20 yards away from me.

They don't flee the area but they just get tight lipped.

x2

I can see whites on camera every time I go out but very rarely get them to hit with the camera down there.

Especially the big ones. The little guys at wab or gull will hit in front of the cam in my experience.

GTZ
12-13-2013, 12:13 PM
x2

I can see whites on camera every time I go out but very rarely get them to hit with the camera down there.

Especially the big ones. The little guys at wab or gull will hit in front of the cam in my experience.

Ya I don't think I'll send the AquaVu down next time I target whites.

Jamie Black R/T
12-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Ya I don't think I'll send the AquaVu down next time I target whites.

you can try running it top down view....as high as visibility will allow.

be prepared for more camera snags though....I usually just sight fish them and leave the camera alone....been much more successful that way.