PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Cameras ???

butcherboy
12-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Been tossing the idea around for a little while and not sure of what to buy or look for. Can anyone tell me what they are using and what they like and don't like. Plus any other info/tips I might need or not know what to look for. I'm looking for something under $500. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank u.

CanadianBadass
12-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I own a Marcum vs380 , it has two outlets on the back for two cameras, and on the front it has a toggle button for Cam one or Cam two , mine is the black and white screen however after using my friends color Cam, I found the black and white to have a much better contrast and you can see the fish much more clearly .

I know a buddy who bought a fish TV , and the thing is no where near the quality of a Marcum ...

That's about all I can help you out with ....

Jack&7
12-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Well...I am the same as Badass. I have a VS 380. Love it. I just snagged a great deal on a VS 820 and cant wait ti get it. The 380 might be for sale.soon.

But to answer your question, cams are really cool. I find it makes a huge difference in my hook-up percentage on the slower days where the bite is very light. If it ain't a Marcum, don't buy it. IMHO, they are the top of the scale. I am also a fan of b+w over clour. Colour nay be nice, but the contrast in low light conditions from the b+w units is a plus. Get the cam panner and the best b+w unit you can afford and.enjoy the show. I know I do....total game changer.

1bluZebec
12-06-2013, 10:05 PM
X3 I own a vs380 b+w that I bought used and is still perfect like new. It cost me 130.00 so it was excellent price. I'm not upgrading anytime soon,the only thing I need now is a flasher which I'm getting another marcum:) fish tv's and other cheaper knockoffs have been known to leak and stop working after minimal use. Get the tried and true;-)

WayneChristie
12-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Ive owned 2 Aquaviews now, next camera wont be. they do really help you catch more fish, and you learn a lot with a camera. wont make them bite if they dont want to though but they are entertaining for sure

BLD
12-07-2013, 05:33 AM
I got my wife a vs385 last year and she loves it, I ordered myself the Aquavu 715c, new model this year, only 299 for a color camera with a 7" LCD monitor, not a bad price, can't tell you much about it because I haven't picked it up yet,

canadiantdi
12-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Even if I don't catch anything, it's fun to watch the fishies swim around. It's nice to see how they react to different baits/movements. It's pretty cool to be panning around and then see a tiny black dot in the distance... it slowly gets bigger and bigger until you see a giant pike head swimming towards the camera.. very cool!! Always sad at the end of the day when it gets dark out though!

I have a B/W marcum also, and it's great.

the pilot cock
12-07-2013, 11:07 AM
I was advised to buy a Marcum but couldn't afford one so i bought a fish tv7. What a piece of crap. Most of the season last year i was perch fishing so it did what it was supposed to do. Late season i spent a day at Lac Sante with 2 forum members who both had marcums. we were in a 8 person tent. Both of them put their cameras outside the tent at far ends opposite each other. They could see a good 20 feet past each others cameras. I never saw a fish all day since i only had about 3 feet of visibility. Also a marcum has a different field of view so you take in more of what's down there. With mine, i have to have the camera right close to my hook just to see it so i can't see what's coming...

Spend the cash...buy a marcum. I couldn't afford one last year, but i really didn't save anything by cheaping out and now I'm still going to spend the money on a marcum.

Chewie66
12-07-2013, 11:40 AM
I've got a Vexilar FS1000 and it's great. It automatically switches from colour to black and white depending on the amount of light. You can find them online right now for 400-500 bucks. I do recommend getting a panner as well, either the Marcum (wired) or the Aqua View Mopod (wireless remote) which is great to scan around for fish or to let the kids play with.

kinwahkly
12-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Ive got a Marcum vs 380 , works rely good.

baptiste_moose
12-07-2013, 02:31 PM
If u wanna catch more fish, get a flasher. If u want to fart around with putting 20 ft of camera cable down your hole, lose fish due to tangles but be entertained. Then get a camera. I've owned 2 and IMHO they suck compared to a flasher

EZM
12-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Spend the cash...buy a marcum. I couldn't afford one last year, but i really didn't save anything by cheaping out and now I'm still going to spend the money on a marcum.

That is great advice - there's an old saying "I can't afford to buy cheap things" "they end up costing me more money in the end"

I have found this same analogy to be true most of the time when dealing with stuff you use allot.

binnzer32
12-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Lx 9 if you can afford. Best of both worlds

huntsfurfish
12-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Lx 9 if you can afford. Best of both worlds

Agree.

EZM
12-07-2013, 07:32 PM
LX-9 - if you think about it - at $1200 is about the same you would spend on a good flasher and good camera.

Probably makes allot of sense - one less thing to carry around (if you use both).

jaystev
12-07-2013, 09:33 PM
dont buy a fish tv i have one i cant give away.

fishermansfriend
12-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I own a Marcum vs380 , it has two outlets on the back for two cameras, and on the front it has a toggle button for Cam one or Cam two , mine is the black and white screen however after using my friends color Cam, I found the black and white to have a much better contrast and you can see the fish much more clearly .

I know a buddy who bought a fish TV , and the thing is no where near the quality of a Marcum ...

That's about all I can help you out with ....

x2 with color vs black & white
vs380 is great unit

CanadianBadass
12-07-2013, 10:02 PM
x2 with color vs black & white
vs380 is great unit

You mean About X5 lol lol

Seriously , I seen a thread about Guys from Marcum, And I have to Agree, they paid shipping back and forth for me to send them my old camera and get a new style due to a scratch on the lens , Which I caused,

Marcum said this is the old style of cam, We will replace your Cam no charge and ship both ways . if I continue to use their products..

Since then I have only endorsed Marcum Cams