PDA

View Full Version : HELP - unplugging my transducer - 385ci ICE combo

EZM
12-06-2013, 11:18 PM
just bought a brand new shiny Humminbird 385ci Ice Combo that just arrived. So I put the unit together, charged up the battery, set it up and finally plugged in the transducer to test it.

Works great ......... now ........ how the #$%^ do I get the transducer unplugged?

If I pull any harder she's gonna break .....

If there are any 385ci ice combo owners - please HELP or else I'm getting a hammer, some pliers and plastic is flying like shrapnel !!!!!!!!

Reminds me of IKEA furniture frustration ...........

harrydude
12-06-2013, 11:31 PM
What are you trying to do?

harrydude
12-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Pictures will help. I never unplug my ice transducer unless a it's summer

EZM
12-06-2013, 11:33 PM
unplug the transducer from the base plate ........

harrydude
12-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Do you have the little jumper from the head to the main cable from transducer. All u need to do is push the lock down a little and pull

ak-71
12-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Same thing here, unplugged it for the summer, now summer one is hard to get off. I thought I'll warm it up and try again tomorrow (stuck in town anyway). Would appreciate a tip too. This lock doesn't seem to bulge

EZM
12-07-2013, 12:17 AM
I figured that was the case - there is no way any human's finger is able to actuate that little lock thingy. That's ridiculous if humminbird thinks someone's going to be able to do that with cold fingers on a lake after a day of ice fishing ...... that's just asinine.

Mine is NOT coming off - I pushed down on it with a needle nose, a small screw driver while pulling, pushing, wiggling and jiggling that silly lock plug.

I have now put it away for the night - I am really getting close to reaching for the hammer at this point............

ak-71
12-07-2013, 12:21 AM
I did change it in spring... Somehow...

harrydude
12-07-2013, 07:06 AM
I figured that was the case - there is no way any human's finger is able to actuate that little lock thingy. That's ridiculous if humminbird thinks someone's going to be able to do that with cold fingers on a lake after a day of ice fishing ...... that's just asinine.

Mine is NOT coming off - I pushed down on it with a needle nose, a small screw driver while pulling, pushing, wiggling and jiggling that silly lock plug.

I have now put it away for the night - I am really getting close to reaching for the hammer at this point............

Can u snap a picture. And why do u want to in plug it. I pack it all up in the bad transducer and all

Bigdad013
12-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Can u snap a picture. And why do u want to in plug it. I pack it all up in the bad transducer and all

Should you not be able to unplug it?

EZM
12-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Harrydude ..........Why do I need to unplug it ......?

1) I should be able to unplug it to store the transducer safely and securely in the pouch on the other side of the bag made to store the float and transducer. This way nothing gets damaged, pinched, tangled or knocked around and fits in there easily and nicely - probably why they designed it that way.

I should not have to squeeze and twist the transducer, cables, float up in the bag itself - that is a pain in the butt and won't be easy to do in the cold, wet blowing snow on an icy lake after a long day. The cords will also likely be stiff and more prone to damage after spending 12 hours in sub zero temps.

Leaving it plugged in, and then zipping the bag shut, makes the cable turn 90 degrees and puts a kink in the cable - which can't be good for it. The cable sits proud of the bag itself.

2) Because I will use a summer transducer for summer and an ice transducer for winter and it needs to come off to accomplish that.

3) Because it should come apart ..... what happens if i want to replace the transducer when it breaks ..... I don't want to throw the entire unit out

4) You should always unplug your transducer, according to humminbird, until you immerse the transducer them power it up to prevent damage to the transducer. Running it dry, for any extended period, is not good for it apparently.

5) If I want to run the GPS, from the sled or truck, to find my fishing spot, with the transducer unplugged, because of the above reason in #4, I should be able to do so.

I think it pretty important to be able to unplug something that should be, and is meant to be, unplugged and stored separately.

Here are the pictures ............

EZM
12-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Ok - here's what I did ......

Took a pointed tipped hobby Exacto knife and carefully shaved off the corners of the locking block thingy at the top. I was then able to disconnect it with some persuasion.

When it was disconnected, I cleaned up the block a little more, reducing the overall geometry a little on each side and shaved a beveled edge on each side of the lock block.

Now it connects and disconnects easily, yet snaps in place without too much of a wiggle.

I tested it, and it still maintained a good signal and connection without interruption, despite it being a little "less positively locked in place".

I just didn't want to do this before I got some opinions from other 385 owners - who knows, sometimes there are silly procedures like the "double tap, twist, pull while pushing" kind of thing.

Anyways - hope that helps someone else who might be having the same frustrations.

huntsfurfish
12-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Glad you got her fixed.

Would have hated to suggest a Lowrance product.:);)

EZM
12-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Glad you got her fixed.

Would have hated to suggest a Lowrance product.:);)

LMFAO ..... I was waiting for you to chime in !!!! :)

I was almost NOT going to post my issue with my Humminbird out of fear you would come out of the woodwork and suggest returning it and getting a Lowrance elite 4 ice unit or something ...... lol

I was looking at them by the way - but figured I should buy another bird so it works on my PC, Ethernet, etc... and i can quicky do the updates, share waypoints and trails etc... otherwise the Lowrance has the same features for about $100 less.

Good thing I have a deal on the birds and paid less than retail on it ...

Since I've turned to the "darkside" and have become a Humminbird guy - you have been all over me ...lol

You need to get up here and see my Birds in action ...... I owe you a coffee anyways....

huntsfurfish
12-07-2013, 01:03 PM
LOL

Was debating about commenting, but had to. To hard to resist.:)

Will make it up there one day.