PDA

View Full Version : Phyllis Lake Perch

figmentam
12-07-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm thinking about heading to Phyllis Lake in the next couple of days to try my luck at getting some perch. ive never fished for perch before just trout and pike. Never had any luck on the trout side of it lol

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what to use and how to catch them? what size of line should i use? should i use snap swivels or leaders?

my rods have 20lb test on them right now and i know i need to re spool them. just not sure what test to use. ive heard that maggots are supposed to work good yet even with the smallest hooks i have the maggots seem to explode when i put them on :confused:

any tips/tricks or pointers would be greatly appreciated :) i also only have a manual auger so i dont want to have to drill alot of holes.

Thank you in advance for any help. :)

embury93
12-07-2013, 05:24 PM
I'd go with 4lb and 20lb on your tip up. Maggots or small worms for bait. Can use a spring bobber as well, makes it real easy to tell even with the smallest nibble. Perch are also fairly tiny at Phyllis Lake.

fishermansfriend
12-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Youd be better off to hit burnstick for perch

figmentam
12-07-2013, 06:29 PM
yes i have haerd burnstick is better for perch. but i figured that i would do my part to help out removing the perch from phyllis.

Mudslide
12-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Maggots have a skinny, pointy end and a fat, round end. Just barely knick the maggots through at the round end and they will wiggle away on the hook for a long time.

fishermansfriend
12-07-2013, 09:32 PM
yes i have haerd burnstick is better for perch. but i figured that i would do my part to help out removing the perch from phyllis.

really though they're miniature.. id take some Velveeta cheese out to and maybe some trout worms!!!!

TROLLER
12-08-2013, 09:28 AM
From the launch go right to the little island

The perch seem to hang out there. Most will be 3 or 4 inches max. But thanks for your efforts to remove these illegal fish.

WillyOneStyle
12-08-2013, 10:02 AM
I've only caught small trout at phyllis. I cleaned one last year that had a finger-nail-sized perch in it's guts. There are edible sized perch at Burnstick.

Oh... and think deep.

fishermansfriend
12-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I've only caught small trout at phyllis. I cleaned one last year that had a finger-nail-sized perch in it's guts. There are edible sized perch at Burnstick.

Oh... and think deep.

x2 20-25fow

deanstroyer
12-08-2013, 12:17 PM
burnstick lake 18-24 ' of water ( i have had the best luck slow jigging 1-2' off bottom(ive found that i wouldnt get action if i was jigging one foot too hi/lo ),

once you find perch @ Burnstick your in for a great day

small jigs( bright colors and glow in the dark can be seen untill 20' or so ). maggots help,

id invest in a ultra light rod about $10. spool with 4lb test
http://i.imgur.com/UQgkBMW.jpg
me and a friend kept our limit

figmentam
12-08-2013, 09:15 PM
ok. thank you for all the help. ill probably hit up phyllis first and try my luck out there. see if i can get some of those tiny perch and maybe a couple of trout out. then ill hit up burnstick.

is by the burnstick subdivision about the best spot to hit?

how do you check for the depth? ive never done it before.

i picked up a light rod at walmart yeasterday. they didnt seem to have any ultra light rods. and i spooled up with 4lb.

i dont have a power auger :( just the good ol manual one. and no tent either.
just have to sit in the sun lol.

WhitefishLady
12-09-2013, 08:20 AM
You shouldnt have any trouble catching perch at Phyllus if you got the right thing. They are pretty small so you need little hooks. I have had luck with small scud or nymph flies (size 18 or less).

For trout they love Kraft shingles cheese!

For depth they sell pretty cheap and basic fish finders I believe for under $100 that pretty much just do depth. Otherwise maybe a weighted measuring tape (the spool kind).
Good luck!

waterninja
12-09-2013, 12:08 PM
for a cheap depth finder i use a magnet tied to a spool of string line. drop the mag. till it hits bottom then pull it up on ice. you can now use tape measure to know exactly how deep it is and also string out your hook and line so it is where you want it off the bottom.
also comes in handy if you drop your pliers etc. down the hole. lol

figmentam
12-09-2013, 12:24 PM
thats actually an awesome idea. never thought of using a magnet. would have been help ful when i dropped my pliars in sylvan lol. i could see them but couldnt get them.

deanstroyer
12-09-2013, 02:48 PM
drop your hook in the water, let it sink to the bottom, reel your rod tip to the water, and then walk backwards until your hook is out, then you have your depth with no extra gear required