PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Mayan Riviera

Serengeti Charters
12-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Hey guys,

Headed down to the Mayan Riviera at the end of January and looking for any recommendations or stories of fishing down there. We are definitely going to do a day of fishing, just about with who, and first hand accounts always are good to have when making a decision. Right now we are looking at Wasabi Loco Sportfishing Adventures. But any other direction would be greatly appreciated, definitely want to book here in the next week.

Thanks again!
David

Okotokian
12-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Deep Sea or Flats? If flats try Pesca Maya. I did a day with them in Ascencion Bay. Bugger to get to, but a great day of fly fishing for bonefish, etc. Two guides and just myself in a boat. They pick you up at your hotel. They also do a closer trip just north of Cancun.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g667233-d481691-Reviews-Pesca_Maya_Fishing_Lodge-Punta_Allen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

They might also do deep sea as well, out ot Puerto Morelos.

MoFugger21
12-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Captain Rick's in Playa del Carmen - http://www.captricksfishing.com/

yetiseeker
12-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Captain Rick's in Playa del Carmen put me into 3 Sailfish, a Wahoo, a Bonita, and Black Fin Tuna, and others we lost or didn't manage to hook into. I would estimate bewteen what was landed and what was missed, we had a fish working every half hour or so. First class act with rentals including boat and captain, first mate, decent gear (although very heavy duty), bait, snacks, bottled water and drinks. They really try their best to get you into fish. I chartered the boat for 6 hours. The fishery is literally right outside the bay of the marina. I would definietly charter a boat with them again.

Marko
12-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Captain Rick's in Playa del Carmen - http://www.captricksfishing.com/

X2. Best outfit we have used while down there. Great guys.

Vigsy
12-09-2013, 07:24 PM
another vote for captain ricks! dad and I had a blast with them

Serengeti Charters
12-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys! Looks like capt rick is in playa adventuras as well which is right where we will be, proximity to the resort was a big thing for us too...and seems to be a great fit. Catching is only half the fun, looking forward to sipping some bevey's with rods in the water underneath a sunny sky!!!

Rockyman
12-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I have used Captain Ricks and Wasabi Loco and very much prefer Wasabi Loco. It is a smaller operation and I think you will get better service. However, both are fine and the quality of the fishing will be dependent on your captain, the time of year, weather and of course luck. A couple of years ago in May we got skunked on Tuesday (cold front and calm seas) and then went back out on Friday and caught 3 sailfish, 3 mahi mahi and tuna (all in four hours). During our May trip this year things were a bit slower but we still managed 3 sailfish.

The end of January isn't the best time to go. It's probably too early for billfish or mahi mahi but you might luck into a wahoo, tuna, or barracuda. You can also go bottom fishing. Regardless, I'm sure you will have fun.

Serengeti Charters
12-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Oh ok, that's good to know too. Booking next week, there will be 8 of us, over 2 boats, so I know we are looking forward to just being on the water, and we realize we will mainly be after sailfish, wahoo, dorado, barracuda and some tuna here and there. Since we own an operation we know its called fishing for a reason. I, personally, am just excited to be able to relax and have a few pints with the rods in the water under some sun (usually the one guiding :lol:)

Rockyman
12-11-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm sure you will have a great time.

On one memorable trip we had caught some mahi mahi but no sailfish with only 10 minutes left to go in the charter. As we were heading back to the marina we hit a triple-header of sailfish! I landed two of them but the third got away. That was amazing.

They will cook your catch for you at one of the restaurants in PA. Great way to finish out the day!

I have to get back to BC for some salmon fishing. Haven't been since the early mid-1970s when I lived in Comox for two years. Fishing for salmon with buzz bombs by the kelp beds...

Serengeti Charters
12-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Just from reading your last couple posts I'm getting antsy to go fishing down there! We are looking at expanding and opening a lodge in Panama as well...oh goody :D