PDA

View Full Version : Perch/Trout help?

figmentam
12-10-2013, 02:58 PM
I was planning a fishing trip to phyllis (trout) and burnstick (perch) lake tomorrow. but i hit a bit of a snag. i was planning on using maggots as my bait source. but everywhere in sundre is currently out of maggots until thursday. does anyone have any other suggestions as to what i could use?

i picked up a bag of dew worms. but i know there pretty big for perch.

Wild&Free
12-10-2013, 03:06 PM
shrimp for trout. fish eye for perch.

hard part is catching that first perch.

dodgeboy1979
12-10-2013, 03:21 PM
i use the frozen minnows for perch, cut them in half. Corn or shrimp for trout. both on a small jig head

binnzer32
12-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Berkley gulp maggots. Rapala vertical jigging minnow. Smallest size. Tiny tube jigs. Tiny cicadas

AppleJax
12-10-2013, 03:26 PM
I've caught perch on dew worms before, worked pretty good. Just cut up your worm into small pieces.

BeeGuy
12-10-2013, 03:35 PM
I've caught perch on dew worms before, worked pretty good. Just cut up your worm into small pieces.

Never fished for perch with anything but this until I moved to AB.

brobinson
12-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Mealworms work well for perch. Pieces of cut up minnow also work well for perch. I've been having good luck with these hooked into a chartreuse jighead. Goodluck!

mapleleafman3
12-10-2013, 05:38 PM
I've used goldenrod grubs, couple on the hook. Worked for me. I used to pick them in the late fall and keep a ice cream bucket in the garage for ice fishing. Any grassy prairie type places or the weeds in the ditches. Look for a "bulb" in the stem of the plants. There is a grub per bulb.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin%E2%80%99/2013/01/goldenrod-grubs-how-find-your-own-live-bait

ogre
12-10-2013, 09:03 PM
I've used goldenrod grubs, couple on the hook. Worked for me. I used to pick them in the late fall and keep a ice cream bucket in the garage for ice fishing. Any grassy prairie type places or the weeds in the ditches. Look for a "bulb" in the stem of the plants. There is a grub per bulb.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin%E2%80%99/2013/01/goldenrod-grubs-how-find-your-own-live-bait

Never knew that! Thanks for the tip, I'll be out looking for them this spring/summer/fall and try them as bait :sHa_shakeshout:

mayuan
12-10-2013, 09:21 PM
I was planning a fishing trip to phyllis (trout) and burnstick (perch) lake tomorrow. but i hit a bit of a snag. i was planning on using maggots as my bait source. but everywhere in sundre is currently out of maggots until thursday. does anyone have any other suggestions as to what i could use?

Stop by the James River store on the way. That is where I get my bait in that area.

fish gunner
12-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Worm is a fine perch bait. as posted cut them into 1" lengths . Bang bottom raise one foot exactly this will sort out better perch. Fake grubs /gulp minnows/ leaches in a 1" or less length work well. Funnily minnows dont work very well at burnstick in winter. They will get the bigger fish but you could wait all day for a bite , and they draw in pike witch will kill the area your fishing .
The perch in burnstick are very light sensitive on a bright day they are deep 25- 30' they will move as shallow as 16-18' on overcast days and just before dark.

Kokaneeranger
12-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks Gunner. Sounds like you know your fish. Cheers

snowman160
12-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Cuttin minnows in Half works great!if ya can find a perch in phylis big enough to get his mouth on a half a minnow then ya can cut that perch in half an youll have more bait cause that's how big they are lol!

fish gunner
12-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Both those lake are in my stomping grounds :)my camper is 15 min from burnstick.glad to help.:sHa_shakeshout:

Richmuiz
12-11-2013, 04:46 PM
If your looking for maggots you could always go to a pet store that's were I get maggots and meal worms

Wild&Free
12-11-2013, 05:35 PM
If your looking for maggots you could always go to a pet store that's were I get maggots and meal worms

the cat is now out of the bag... I can see it in the news now. Hundreds of anglers swarmed petsmart today and bought the place out of maggots and mealworms. "I thought I knew all the reptile owners in the area that shopped here, but when we started selling out of maggots and mealworms to unknown customers I had to ask one of them what kind of lizard they owned." Said one cashier. "He gave me a look of shock and said 'lizard, I'm going fishing, who would want a lizard as a pet'." And then walked out of the store.

WayneChristie
12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
the cat is now out of the bag... I can see it in the news now. Hundreds of anglers swarmed petsmart today and bought the place out of maggots and mealworms. "I thought I knew all the reptile owners in the area that shopped here, but when we started selling out of maggots and mealworms to unknown customers I had to ask one of them what kind of lizard they owned." Said one cashier. "He gave me a look of shock and said 'lizard, I'm going fishing, who would want a lizard as a pet'." And then walked out of the store.

Walk in and ask the staff what kind if lizards are best for pike :)

Richmuiz
12-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Walk in and ask the staff what kind if lizards are best for pike :)

I like asking for hamsters for bait lol

go-big-or-go-home
12-12-2013, 12:17 PM
No one rocks the ol corn nibs trick anymore?

Wild&Free
12-12-2013, 12:34 PM
No one rocks the ol corn nibs trick anymore?

used to, shrimp works better for trout imo. Specially before mid January.

cube
12-12-2013, 12:58 PM

For perch and even trout you can just use hard red or orange beads on your hook. Plastic or Glass beads work. The plastic ones float and the glass ones sink so depending on your hook/lure you may want to use one or the other. The advantage to the bead is it's much faster as you don't have to waste time re baiting when the fish are under you. If you need bait, as others have pointed out, perch eyes or bits of fin work real well.

The beads basically look like fish eggs which are a natural food source for them.

Good Luck

Red Bullets
12-12-2013, 09:06 PM
To imitate maggots, cut bacon into little pieces the same size.

The big perch like little minnows.

Ken07AOVette
12-13-2013, 12:14 AM
We were catching trout today without bait. Jig head and teeny.

Damn fish,

lippy
12-13-2013, 08:13 AM
I boiled raw shrimp in water with a clove of garlic one time and used them ice fishing for trout...out fished buddy 3 to 1. He was using cooked shrimp ring shrimp. Also caught Perch using this bait when they wouldn't take bacon, minnows or dew worms...must be the garlic!

mb567
12-13-2013, 09:22 AM
meal worms work real good