PDA

View Full Version : Flashers? What's the big deal

Kokaneeranger
12-11-2013, 02:13 PM
I know a lot of people that swear by these but I'm not yet convinced. I have never used one or even seen one in use so I really don't know what I am missing. I have a Marcum troller 2.0 and have stopped using it, not sure if its coincidence but when I use the troller I think I scare the fish, especially line shy, noise shy trout. I've had better luck not using it than I have using it. I typically do not fish in deep water, 4-16' is all I typically fish whether its trout, pike, Wallys, whites or perch depending on the stage of season. Whatcha think guys? Am I on crack? Seems like a lot of money to shell out for a minimal advantage. I don't mean to toot my horn but I've put a lot of time in and usually get results when I head out , if I don't than oh well, I have fun any way, I never wonder if I would have had more luck had I used a flasher. Sooooo. Are flashers worth the money? Do fish "sense" a flasher's presence? I don't use a camer, what about those?

Hunter Trav
12-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Flashers will tell you if there are fish present, and you can see if changing your presentation turns lookers into biters. If you only fish where you can sight fish, then a flasher won't change alot for you, other than giving your back and neck a rest. In deep water you will be able to see if fish come through mid way in the water column, or as I said before, if changing your presentation makes them bite. Same goes for stained water. As far as cameras go they can be used the same way, although certain species will shy away from the camera unless you use them in a down viewing position up near the ice...

tight line
12-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Im thinking you dont fish in deep water, or fish for Lake Trout? These are when they are your best friend! Anything less than 20 fow there is not much need for one, as long as you can see bottom.

James Henry
12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
My buddy has a Marcum5 and I am sold. If your bait or jig is at 60' and the fish are at 30', you are just wasting time. The sonar shows your bait/jig/lure and helps you put it where the fish are. We have fished up to 100' of water, it helps you find the fish!!

Mike_W
12-11-2013, 05:12 PM
You don't need to fish deep to have an advantage. Many of the stained Alberta lakes you cannot see bottom in more than 8-10 FOW as mentioned a flasher lets you "see the water column" with out having to set up a ice shack. It allows you to be much more mobile and increases you catch rate.

Mudslide
12-11-2013, 06:41 PM
It's sonar in general that makes the big difference. A flasher is just a particular type of sonar. Even in shallow water it's way easier to watch a sonar screen than it is to stare down a hole for hour upon hour and end up with a sore neck/back. Your catch rate will easily quadruple using sonar vs none. THAT'S the BIG DEAL.

CanadianBadass
12-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Im thinking you dont fish in deep water, or fish for Lake Trout? These are when they are your best friend! Anything less than 20 fow there is not much need for one, as long as you can see bottom.

^---------- Well Said Agree 100%

If your in 100 FOW , How do you know which column to fish ....
10-20 Fow
20-30 Fow
30-50 Fow

You get the point , A flasher will show you lol

A flasher will not only show you if they are present, What Depths to be at , And like someone else here said above me, It shows you if Presentation changes are affective or not, if lookers are now biters, .....

I mainly only fish for pike and perch in the winter, so I only use a Marcum VS380 B/W Camera , There is zero use for a flasher in shallow waters,

I also Find perch and pike are Both attracted to the camera, Where as whitefish will be like Ninjas and not be seen on Cam all day ,

But if I was a going to Cold Lake for the weekend , I would make sure I had a Flasher or brought someone who had one, Or For Deep water Walleye, A cam is useless, Flashers are Golden lol !

Hope all that helps man ! That's about all I know about them flashers !

Kokaneeranger
12-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys!! I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with the responses. I would love to see one in action to see what the fuss is about.

fish gunner
12-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Fancy light brights now that conventional sounders can have both features at once. Any sonar is better than none.