PDA

View Full Version : max # of hooks on a line

Gslice
12-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Briefly looking through the regs, I couldn't find any information on how many hooks you are allowed to have on one line. I'm looking at a setup with a flasher on the bottom with a treble, while tying a fly (single hook) above that. Would this be legal?

Gust
12-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Briefly looking through the regs, I couldn't find any information on how many hooks you are allowed to have on one line. I'm looking at a setup with a flasher on the bottom with a treble, while tying a fly (single hook) above that. Would this be legal?

yes and for good measure put one more lure above the fly. Then you'll know where to focus your fishing towards.

Fisher_man#1
12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Page 18 Under General Sportfishing Restrcitions

Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three
hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure)

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/FishingHuntingTrapping/AlbertaRegulations/documents/AlbertaFishingRegulations-2013.pdf

Now you can find it yourself so you dont have to take somebody's word for it over the internet.

Cheers,

Gslice
12-11-2013, 09:59 PM
so I guess what I'm confused about is then, would a treble hook be counted as 3 hooks or 1 hook? From the regs, it sounded to me like it would be considered as 3, but then what about those rapala lures that comes in 2 or even 3 treble hooks? If the treble is considered as 1 hook, then I should be able to tie 2 more single hook flies above that to make 3. Would this be correct?

Mike_W
12-11-2013, 10:02 PM
A treble is one hook.

Gust
12-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Hook – means a single-, double- or triple-pointed hook on a common
shaft, and includes hooks attached to a lure.

(Note: some legal lures appear to have a hook with four points, but
actually have two shafts each with two points, meaning that this lure has
two hooks).

A treble is one hook.

bucksman
12-11-2013, 11:03 PM
"Briefly" is the key word here...

BeeGuy
12-11-2013, 11:42 PM
"Briefly" is the key word here...

Yup, but this regulation can be confusing as the definition is somewhat different from province to province.

Gslice
12-12-2013, 12:00 AM
appreciated all the help

1bluZebec
12-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Never a shortage of good help on this forum. You guys are great with helping people. Does anyone use three on one line? I personally never have but two at most.

Fisher_man#1
12-12-2013, 11:21 AM
I use 3 flies sometimes while flyfishing but never more than 2 for regular fishing. Just not necessary in my opinion. I know some guys use pickeral rigs with 3 hooks, dont think they catch anymore fish then just having the 2. Its more difficult to cast and can get tangled also.

Use whatever works, as long as its legal.

Wild&Free
12-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Never a shortage of good help on this forum. You guys are great with helping people. Does anyone use three on one line? I personally never have but two at most.

I know Bee does. Hopper dropper dropper iirc ;)

BeeGuy
12-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Yes, but I tie my hoppers with 3x long shank trebles.