PDA

View Full Version : ION electric augers??

Alberta Bigbore
12-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Any Ao reviews? Worth the money?

cube
12-12-2013, 10:05 AM
At the risk of feeling contrite I believe this is the 4th or 5th thread on this issue in the last couple of weeks. Overall view has been
They are good
They only produce an 8" hole with no option for 10
The leg is short so you have to bend low unless you use the extension that comes with it.
The batteries need to be inside your tent or in your pocket when it's cold outside.
They are lighter than a number of gas augers but heavier than a system like Kluge
The batteries are more expensive than gas in the long run.

Alberta Bigbore
12-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks.. ya i didnt have a chance to check the forum as im pretty busy at work today. :)

Geezle
12-12-2013, 10:35 AM
I was going to make a joke about using the Search function, but I figured it'd be too easy :)

Red Neck
12-12-2013, 10:43 AM
:snapoutofit: Battier powered auger:snapoutofit: Our winters are to cold and ice to thick, although marketed here not the conditions it is indented to work in. Gas Gas Gas or you'll be buying another auger sooner than later.
Red Nek Out
:scared0018:

CanadianBadass
12-12-2013, 10:45 AM
:snapoutofit: Battier powered auger:snapoutofit: Our winters are to cold and ice to thick, although marketed here not the conditions it is indented to work in. Gas gas gas or you'll be buying another auger sooner than later.
Red nek out

agree 100%

Hunter Trav
12-12-2013, 10:48 AM
I own an Icegator, and have used it in temps as low as -35C without any problems. Drilled alot of holes at that temp as well, and the ice was easily 2' thick. Only problem I have with it is the fact that its an 8", and I prefer to fish from a 10" hole...

Mike_W
12-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Awesome really like mine big time saver as there is no need to start and warm up .....if it is cold I have to let my jiffy warm up for a good 3 min before it drills nice which really makes me not want to be mobile and quit fishing for ten min to try another hole.
This system if I want to change a hole 20 yards over I grab the auger drill a hole and am fishing within 1 min ...its sweet. Anyone who uses a permanent shack should love these the quietness and fumeless operation is a big plus when inside a shack and a really nice feature all the time for that matter.
Cant wait to get out and use mine this weekend!!!

Mike_W
12-12-2013, 10:49 AM
:snapoutofit: Battier powered auger:snapoutofit: Our winters are to cold and ice to thick, although marketed here not the conditions it is indented to work in. Gas Gas Gas or you'll be buying another auger sooner than later.
Red Nek Out

Is this a educated opinion of just your thoughts?

AppleJax
12-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Is this a educated opinion of just your thoughts?

I don't think him or anyone else has an "education" in ice augers. The electric auger would more than likely fit "most" peoples needs. However, there is no long term experience on these relatively new machines. Only time will tell how the battery will hold up for many seasons. Was at WSS yesterday, overheard a customer asking for a new battery, and there was none available.

AppleJax
12-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Something to look into if electric is what you seek. Looks pretty cool but I don't think they are available at stores, only mail order. http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/auger-combo.html

cube
12-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Something to look into if electric is what you seek. Looks pretty cool but I don't think they are available at stores, only mail order. http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/auger-combo.html

I have seen them in the stores around Edmonton and Calgary. Kind of a neat idea but I'm not sure if you really need it as it's basically a drill holder for $150.00. If you already have a hammer drill with the side handle you could get away with out one.

Have a great Christmas and ice season

italk2u
12-12-2013, 02:08 PM
I Just saw the ad for the Ion in Cabelas flyer and at $599.99 plus another 179.00 for a spare battery I think I'll be sticking to my old Eskimo standby.

Flieguy
12-12-2013, 05:15 PM
there are obviously 2 distinct camps here...

I'd just like to mention a plus for electrics that hasn't been mentioned yet: No fumes and no gas spills. You can keep it in your tent, even drill in your tent with no smell or risk of asphyxiation. Only Downside to an electric I can see is if you drill more than 20 holes a day you may need an extra battery.

Never had a problem with the cold with my strikemaster electra lazer. Also have run it 3 years on the same battery with little noticeable reduction in charge capacity.

I'd never buy gas

crudedude
12-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Hey do not knock it till you tried one.:)

bwackwabbit
12-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Second season w/mine.

I love it!

I'd buy it again no doubt!

Richmuiz
12-12-2013, 07:18 PM
500 at Canadian tire so a hundred dollars cheaper then cabelas almost bought it but went for the Eskimo z71 10inch

Mike_W
12-12-2013, 11:15 PM
I don't think him or anyone else has an "education" in ice augers. The electric auger would more than likely fit "most" peoples needs. However, there is no long term experience on these relatively new machines. Only time will tell how the battery will hold up for many seasons. Was at WSS yesterday, overheard a customer asking for a new battery, and there was none available.

Well since the ion is only a few years old yes but lithium ion batteries have been around for several years and there life has been impressive.

The ion itself has been tested and drilled 40 24" holes.

I am not saying it's the be all end all but it is slick and I like it. I do have a jiffy 3hp with a ten inch bit and a 8 inch bit if the situation warrants it too.

kinwahkly
12-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Second season for me no issues, I don't drill 40 holes a day. I've drilled over 25 in -25 with over 20 inches and no issues .

HuyFishin
12-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Many people that bash the ion are jealous :p haha lithium ion batteries are proven to be reliable. I don't have an ion but I can see it being very convenient. I put my auger in the back of my truck on the floor and I wouldn't have to worry about spills on my nice carpet. I use the jiffy propane and its heavy as ****. When it all comes down electric is the future. If I had a chance to choose a new auger today it would be an ion

Hunter Trav
12-13-2013, 02:54 PM
A little video for you Ion guys, sorry but being a Icegator owner I just had to...:fighting0030:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ChMsOpOlQ&feature=youtu.be

Mike_W
12-13-2013, 03:42 PM
No doubt the ice gators are a good but their biggest downfall was the online only availability.
Ice gator is bigger and heavier also for the record even though he claims it's an 8 inch it looks like a 6-7 obviously not the same as the ion.

AppleJax
12-13-2013, 04:07 PM
If I bought an ION I think I would be bias towards them as well. I bought a Husqvarna and I'm bias for them... The only reason I bought the Husky was the Z71 was sold out at the time and I wasn't patient. I would never buy electric, strictly because I go on 3-4 night ice fishing trips in the bush and electric wouldn't be practicle, gas is cheap and plentiful!

sraak
12-13-2013, 05:38 PM
An Ion auger stole my job and my girlfriend. Be wary of this auger.

Hunter Trav
12-13-2013, 07:45 PM
No doubt the ice gators are a good but their biggest downfall was the online only availability.
Ice gator is bigger and heavier also for the record even though he claims it's an 8 inch it looks like a 6-7 obviously not the same as the ion.

For the record mine is on top of an 8" mora auger, and it does just what the guy did in the video, even at -35C after a mile jaunt across the lake riding in the sled. This was also through 2'+ of ice. Not trying to pick a fight with you Ion guys, just being biased to my superior auger is all...:sHa_shakeshout:

I do agree about their downfall being that you need to order them online though. The guys who own the company aren't very good business people, and they could've taken the market completely if they had done things different, as they do have a very good product. I was one of the lucky ones when I got mine, the only problems I ever had was dealing with the company itself, but thats a whole other story altogether. My batteries lasted through 2 years of HEAVY use, and the only reason they didn't go longer was my lack of maintenance through the summer months. It will cost me $60 to replace them since they just use 12V 9aH flasher batteries. I would love to get the lithium ion pack for it to cut the weight from it and make it better, but I've decided to get a 10" gas jobby because I mostly sight fish for whites and I hate doing it from an 8" hole...:cool:

Alberta Bigbore
12-13-2013, 07:46 PM
An Ion auger stole my job and my girlfriend. Be wary of this auger.

LOL!! Hopefully this doesnt happen to me... looks like im headed out tomorrow to my Canadian Tire to snag one on sale. Maybe get some fishing done sunday

My Stike Lite II's gear box turned to dust so need something new to I can get out and fish.

Mike_W
12-13-2013, 09:24 PM
If I bought an ION I think I would be bias towards them as well. I bought a Husqvarna and I'm bias for them... The only reason I bought the Husky was the Z71 was sold out at the time and I wasn't patient. I would never buy electric, strictly because I go on 3-4 night ice fishing trips in the bush and electric wouldn't be practicle, gas is cheap and plentiful!

I sold my husky for the ion great little auger them huskys are no doubt! Still don't regret my decision.

Oh what them ice gators could have been had they teamed up with a company to design it with better ergonomics and less of a home made feel.

Let's not forget the price of them ice gators also at $540 usd for the power head plus whatever bit you pair it with (+$150) plus the adaptor plus shipping you are looking at over $800.

Hunter Trav
12-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Let's not forget the price of them ice gators also at $540 usd for the power head plus whatever bit you pair it with (+$150) plus the adaptor plus shipping you are looking at over $800.

I paid $450 USD shipped, and paired it with the hand auger I already owned and they GIVE you the adapter of your choice, so I'm not sure where your coming up with those prices. Don't be hatin' because you got an inferior product...:sHa_sarcasticlol: :D

EZM
12-14-2013, 03:24 PM
This is Chevy / Ford / Dodge thread ...........

I figure a guy should buy the auger that suits his style of fishing and suits his budget.

If I had a SUV and not a pick-up, I would be more likely to buy a propane or electric model so I'm not stinking up the cab and spilling gas/oil all over.

But I have a pickup so ...... Z71 for me ........

It's heavy but I don't often hike that far with all my gear in tow via muscle power .... too many convinces - tent, heater, flasher, camera, bbq, cooler, floor mats, folding chairs, tip ups, etc.....

Besides .... Dodge and Ford suck ........ (lol - just teasing)

Hunter Trav
12-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Nah, I'm just messing with the Ion owners is all...lol :D

AppleJax
12-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Just curious, does anyone know where the ion augers are made?

Mike_W
12-14-2013, 05:41 PM
I paid $450 USD shipped, and paired it with the hand auger I already owned and they GIVE you the adapter of your choice, so I'm not sure where your coming up with those prices. Don't be hatin' because you got an inferior product...:sHa_sarcasticlol: :D

Yeah but you have the piece of crap lead acid battery model that looks like red green himself designed it:fighting0074:
I got my prices off the website. I am assuming the shipping and making an educated guess based on auger flighting I have bought for a Mora.:love0025:

Hunter Trav
12-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah but you have the piece of crap lead acid battery model that looks like red green himself designed it:fighting0074:
I got my prices off the website. I am assuming the shipping and making an educated guess based on auger flighting I have bought for a Mora.:love0025:

I could always shell out for the Li-ion batteries, and drill 3 times as many holes as an Ion, no matter how ugly it may be...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

pikergolf
12-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Have you got the lead acid or LI system Trav.

Hunter Trav
12-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Have you got the lead acid or LI system Trav.

I just have the lead acid batteries. I got my gator just before they had the Li-ion battery packs available, and I didn't feel like shelling out for it after the fact...

bwackwabbit
12-14-2013, 10:21 PM
I'm of the opinion that if it drills holes without me having a heart attack (hand auger style) then it's good!...lol.

pikergolf
12-14-2013, 10:34 PM
I just have the lead acid batteries. I got my gator just before they had the Li-ion battery packs available, and I didn't feel like shelling out for it after the fact...

So how many holes would you get out of one battery pack, at say 24" of ice?

Hunter Trav
12-15-2013, 01:45 PM
With 2' of ice I have drilled approx 60 holes, and there was still life left in the batteries. This was also in -30C temps, and we were searching a little lake trying to find perch and we made swiss cheese out of that lake. The biggest thing with the electrics is you need to maintain the batteries properly to get the most from them. This means periodically charging them through the off season... :cool:

pikergolf
12-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks Trav.

Hunter Trav
12-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Anytime...:cool:

crudedude
12-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Was out today with the Ion all though it was warm out managed to drill 27 holes in 18". :) and still 2/3rds full.

Mike_W
12-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Was out today with the Ion all though it was warm out managed to drill 27 holes in 18". :) and still 2/3rds full.

18" of ice already!?!?! Wow!!

Sinner
12-21-2013, 01:52 PM
We have the ION in my trailer,it was fully charged drilled 6 holes last sat re drilled 4 on sun,went out to the trailer yesterday and it wouldn't drill at all until i warmed up the battery didn't have to charge it though....there's no perfect auger each one has its faults as we have all stated here i guess.

muskokagould
12-25-2013, 01:08 PM
just remember Ni-cd batteries and lithium-ion are completely different. most
ion batteries shut down or strain when THEIR temp is -10 or colder.

I work outside in the trades and and anyone running ni-cd in -30 is getting
10X battery life of ion.

both have their pros and cons, but to me if I were to hike in far to a lake I'd go gas to be sure I can cut holes!

trike_flyer
12-26-2013, 01:49 AM
I use the drill adapted hand auger unit like the one that was shown. It is just a piece that will not let the auger leave the drill if it has the chuck go loose. Using my Rigid hammer cordless with the NiCad batteries it lasts all day for me. Did a time test on it when I got it going about 5 yrs ago. Took about 19 sec to drill a 6" hole in ~12"-14" of ice and did about 20 with it still going strong on the first battery. Nice part of it is the fact it can be used around the house as well. Had one battery die and with the lifetime warranty it was a free replacement. How is that for a low cost deal.

TF

skykomish sunrise
12-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Is there any way to make this into a 10 inch..any adaptors out there yet

Hunter Trav
12-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Is there any way to make this into a 10 inch..any adaptors out there yet

Its not about the adaptors, its the fact it takes WAY more torque to turn a 10" vs. an 8". Icegator had come out with a 36V 10" unit, but they have since discontinued it. I don't think the motors can handle drilling that much ice at one time...

AppleJax
12-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Its not about the adaptors, its the fact it takes WAY more torque to turn a 10" vs. an 8". Icegator had come out with a 36V 10" unit, but they have since discontinued it. I don't think the motors can handle drilling that much ice at one time...

Those 10" holes are best left for the big toys... Do ion augers come in pink?

Hunter Trav
12-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Those 10" holes are best left for the big toys... Do ion augers come in pink?

Not sure...I own a Gator...;) :lol:

kritz
12-28-2013, 01:51 PM
I have been with a few people that use cordless drills ( 18 or 24 volt) with an auger made to fit, they keep a battery on charge in the truck wih an inverter, They drill alot of holes in a day and are very mobile with them, I bought a earthX lithium battery for my snowmobile to replace the lead battery and it works awsome in the cold, it is 10-12lbs lighter than the lead , more AH , CA and storage life is triple.
If the IOn is as good as it states that would be a great little machine to have , clean , quick and light/portable .
just my opionion , but I looked at buying one also