PDA

View Full Version : quad in to fish

nd4spd
09-25-2008, 06:49 AM
does anybody know somewhere in the Alberta/B.C. area where you have to quad into to fish. thanks

Justanotherbuck2
09-25-2008, 07:08 AM
We go each year hauling in a full tent camp for 6 guys and small boats, You leave the road at a staging area on the ice highway just north of fort McKay and then its a 5-7 hour quad trip depending on conditions, Pike to 35 lbs and great walleye fishing. On your way there there is about 10 other lakes you can stop at that are a little closer. Its a lot of work to get there but its worth it every time. This year a buddy got a 48" pike that will be entered into the provincial derby should put him in the running for the first place prize of a fly in fishing trip!

Leverboy
09-25-2008, 07:39 AM
I spent 32 years up there and hunted and fished it numerous times. Beware that the staging area is becoming a haven for theft and breakins. The days of leaving your vehicle there without incident have long gone.

Bricklayer
09-25-2008, 11:13 AM
How big is the lake, and how big of boats do you pull in there?

Leverboy
09-25-2008, 11:38 AM
There are numerous lakes up there. Very sandy country. Most guys bring in 12 foot aluminum boats on racks above there quads.

Leverboy
09-25-2008, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=Leverboy;188531]There are numerous lakes up there. Very sandy country. Most guys bring in 12 foot aluminum boats on racks above there quads and trailers.

Justanotherbuck2
09-26-2008, 10:03 AM
We haul in 10 ft crawdads(coleman flat bottoms) and 2-6hp motors, also one 10' alluminum, last year one fellow hauled in his 14'inflatable and a 15 hp four stroke, the motor was way to big as far as the rest of us were concerned just to rough a ride in and they ended up breaking an axel on there tandum tub. Way to heavy that was there first trip in with us and they did not take our advice on travelling light serious enough. I agree that leaving the trucks at the staging areas is a bit of a risk, but we take percautions like driving onto our ramps and backing the trailers up to a tree so they cannot be removed. I'm never going to let a few bad apples ruin my plans for enjoyment, otherwise I might as well just watch other guys hunt and fish on TV.

steveo10
09-29-2008, 10:19 AM
I spent 32 years up there and hunted and fished it numerous times. Beware that the staging area is becoming a haven for theft and breakins. The days of leaving your vehicle there without incident have long gone.

I read on another site that some guys came back and a theif was in the middle of stealing their vehcle. They caught him and tied him to a tree i think til the cops came :)