PDA

View Full Version : Best trout bait under ice

gunner022
12-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Just looking for a few new ideas for jigging stocked rainbows. Had some biting on mealworms and powerbait gulp worms yesterday. Any ideas for when all the shops are out of bait. I've heard of people using shrimp and corn......what else works?

Thanks in advance,

Al

Ken07AOVette
12-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Velveeta.

Today, didn't need bait, just a jig head and a teeny

HunterDave
12-13-2013, 12:30 AM
Generally I use a piece of worm but if there's no bait around, like you said, I always have a small jar of that power bait on hand that you take a dab of and roll it into a small ball for the hook. Pieces of shrimp work good but I always end up eating them. :)

BPman
12-13-2013, 03:09 AM
Snitch a handful of frozen corn from the freezer. Even better is the Green Giant canned "White Shoepeg Corn", which is also super effective for kokanees in BC. If the fish don't like it you can at least heat the leftovers for supper...

finner-duramax
12-13-2013, 05:14 AM
Maggots

Icenewb
12-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Maggots

+1

Lornce
12-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Snitch a handful of frozen corn from the freezer. Even better is the Green Giant canned "White Shoepeg Corn", which is also super effective for kokanees in BC. If the fish don't like it you can at least heat the leftovers for supper...

Great stuff when you can find it. I agree It is also great on Kokanee's We caught 6 in a day on the Okanagan last fall. Want to try it on perch this year.

Pierroy
12-13-2013, 07:12 AM
berkly gulp alive leach 3" pumpkin seed .last winter I tried them for the first time.i could see down the hole.they really hammered it all day going out tomorrow
ill send a post
:)

GillieSuit
12-13-2013, 08:05 AM
I've always had great success with the canned shrimp that you would use on your pizza or in a shrimp dip. Just a little peice of that on the hook and wammo.

Bolete
12-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Another vote for maggots.

Geezle
12-13-2013, 08:33 AM
I usually use worms cut into ~1" chunks, however if that doesn't work or worms aren't available my next go-to is the good ol' shrimp ring. I just grab whatever frozen shrimp ring is cheapest (and maybe a jar of seafood sauce ;)) and rip the shrimp into chunks that fit on the hook.

Failing that I've always got a jar or two of Powerbait dough stuff...just in case :)

Game Hunter
12-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Find a way of frying up the shrimp on your heater, after last year I'm in belief they like their meals catered all fried up. :)
Seriously though. :) nothing added.

mb567
12-13-2013, 09:21 AM
the pink powerbait is pretty good sometimes

embury93
12-13-2013, 09:22 AM
This is what I find works best:
Shrimp or Canned Corn if your fishing for stocked trout.
Salmon Eggs, Maggots or Worms for wild trout.
Cheese works as well just have to figure out what they are biting on that day.

baptiste_moose
12-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Worms or maggots for me. I never use synthetics

vital shok
12-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Velvetta times 2

codywf
12-13-2013, 10:05 AM
I usually use worms cut into ~1" chunks, however if that doesn't work or worms aren't available my next go-to is the good ol' shrimp ring. I just grab whatever frozen shrimp ring is cheapest (and maybe a jar of seafood sauce ;)) and rip the shrimp into chunks that fit on the hook.

Failing that I've always got a jar or two of Powerbait dough stuff...just in case :)

I had not been able to catch myself a trout until I tried the shrimp ring last year, they hammered chunks of shrimp.

embury93
12-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Velvetta times 2

Do you have to buy the velvetta in the brick that looks like butter or can you just buy slices and roll them into little balls, never used velvetta before. I ask cause its expensive here for a brick of velvetta, its like $15 lol only $5 for the slices.

1bluZebec
12-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Worms or maggots for me. I never use synthetics

X2 they might work for others but I seem to have no luck with fake bait. No matter what they tell you trying to sell it I still think fish prefer the real deal:fishing:

RayL42
12-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Small white marshmallow or powerbait

fish gunner
12-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Things you will need: sz 14 -16 treble ,supply of pen springs . Tube jigs in orange , length of elastic band .
Cut pen spring into 1/4" length . Slide spring on shank of treble. Slide treble on jig hook. cut tiny piece of elastic . Use elastic to hold treble on jig hook .
No set up another sprung treble . Palomar that treble 6-12" above jig .
Now you have super power bait rig for trout. This also works great for cheese ,marshmallows or any other soft bait.
Common stillwater flies will also work as another top hook if no bait is handy. :)

Wild&Free
12-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Things you will need: sz 14 -16 treble ,supply of pen springs . Tube jigs in orange , length of elastic band .
Cut pen spring into 1/4" length . Slide spring on shank of treble. Slide treble on jig hook. cut tiny piece of elastic . Use elastic to hold treble on jig hook .
No set up another sprung treble . Palomar that treble 6-12" above jig .
Now you have super power bait rig for trout. This also works great for cheese ,marshmallows or any other soft bait.
Common stillwater flies will also work as another top hook if no bait is handy. :)

complex.

slide a bobber on your line, slide a bead onto the line under the bobber. Tie a hook onto line, and attach a split shot 6-8" above it. Tie bobber stop onto line, bait hook with shrimp set depth and wait. Fish whole water column until you find where the action is.

ORV
12-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Do you have to buy the velvetta in the brick that looks like butter or can you just buy slices and roll them into little balls, never used velvetta before. I ask cause its expensive here for a brick of velvetta, its like $15 lol only $5 for the slices.

you can find some small bricks.

still expensive but it works better than the slices for staying on.
just keep it dry & cold.

orv.

binnzer32
12-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Lures.

EZM
12-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Velvetta - buy the brick, cube it into small pieces about 1 cm or smaller, roll in flour and put them in the fridge in a ziplock. Flour keeps the cubes from sticking together.

Put cheese on hook.

Catch the fish.

Northwinds
12-14-2013, 10:30 AM
All of the above but do not over look 1/2 a meal worm,night crawlers soaked in garlic as well as a home made mixture of melted velvetta cheese,cornmeal,garlic.Boil it to dough stage and either put little gobs on hooks or if you want it to really last,wrap it in cheese cloth. There also is a company in Richmond Bc ,Robs Baits,that makes shrimp nuggets in Red green pink colors,these work as well.
It is amazing to watch how sensitive a trout's sense of smell is,a few feed pellets on the bottom (private lake) can be detected easily by a trout that swims over.They get really excited spin around and cruize back and forth till they zone in where it's at.When baiting hooks a good practice is to wash your hands before baiting.....it does make a differance. Gasoline is a huge turn off no matter how slight the contamination as are a bunch of other odours.

Kim473
12-14-2013, 11:13 AM
the pink powerbait is pretty good sometimes

Shrimp ring.

Northwinds
12-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I know it's not bait but circle hooks are your friend... simple recipe.. bait of choice,single split shot,circle hook,very small slip bobber,a couple feet of slack and you are good to go.Remember to let the fish hook himself and not to set it at the tiniest bite.The 2 feet of slack allows the fish to take the bait and move off,allowing the circle hook to work the way it was designed with a hook up in the corner of the mouth.

drhu22
12-14-2013, 03:07 PM
All of the above but do not over look 1/2 a meal worm,night crawlers soaked in garlic as well as a home made mixture of melted velvetta cheese,cornmeal,garlic.Boil it to dough stage and either put little gobs on hooks or if you want it to really last,wrap it in cheese cloth. There also is a company in Richmond Bc ,Robs Baits,that makes shrimp nuggets in Red green pink colors,these work as well.
It is amazing to watch how sensitive a trout's sense of smell is,a few feed pellets on the bottom (private lake) can be detected easily by a trout that swims over.They get really excited spin around and cruize back and forth till they zone in where it's at.When baiting hooks a good practice is to wash your hands before baiting.....it does make a differance. Gasoline is a huge turn off no matter how slight the contamination as are a bunch of other odours.

Ive always wondered if the smell of cigarettes on your hands might turn them off if you smoke.

Northwinds
12-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Ive always wondered if the smell of cigarettes on your hands might turn them off if you smoke.

Yes it does, but the worst by far is bug dope.You should see what they do when they detect that!!!

edsonfisherman
12-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Butterworms, worked awesome for me last year on Millers lake for the rainbows. You can get them at most pet shops.

Red Neck
12-17-2013, 12:04 PM
:sSig_nicethread: All great tricks!! Although a bit tricky to keep alive in cold weather I have had success with live cricket's when they are really fussy about what they want? I also use them on perch with some success as well. Good luck!
Red Neck Out
:scared0018:

wyatt k
12-19-2013, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=RayL42;2237306]Small white marshmallow or powerbait[/QUOTE

floating power bait

mudbug
12-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Velvetta times 2

X3

ULTRAlite
12-19-2013, 08:37 PM
All gooders... My go to's are worms, shrimp, and pink floating power bait. However I always make the attempt baitless first. And I don't deadstick trout with bait as they seem to swallow it deep.

338Bluff
12-19-2013, 10:15 PM
cooked, frozen shrimp.

wildcat111
12-19-2013, 11:55 PM
velveta cheese and small pink mini marshmellows work well, size 12 treble hook

Carson13
12-22-2013, 04:15 PM
What I do is go to wholesale sports and buy a jar of small minnows (not the frozen ones these ones are sealed and on a shelf) and thread them on a jig head for the bigger ones!

Carson

kevinhits
12-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Was out at Chain today and non stop action on shrimp.....Corn...one bite, velveta cheese...WOuldn't stay on the hook..LOL...Just stayed with the shrimp all day..Slowed right down about 3:30

lesw
12-22-2013, 05:41 PM
pike liver

kevinhits
12-22-2013, 05:54 PM
:test:

trophy brown
12-22-2013, 11:08 PM
I can tell my secret now that I no longer fish at chain lakes....Canadian tire sells a small flat jig. They come in packs of 2. Tip this with white power bait and you will rack and stack chain lakes. I have caught so many fish on this jig that we have actually got bored fishing there. There is a link below, the ones I get are blue not purple like in the pic. Great to take little kids out with this at chain lakes if you want to guarantee them some fish.

http://images.ebsco.com/pob/lindytackle/cms/foo.jpg