PDA

View Full Version : Vexilar Flashers

Stella
12-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Has anyone one here used or is using a flasher when ice fishing? Just wondering if it is worth while to purchase one. They are alot of money so if it is not benefitial I may pass right now.

splake0
12-13-2013, 02:44 PM
DON'T BUY ONE!!!!!!!

Once you own one you can't fish without it. :bad_boys_20:

Stella
12-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Is that a good thing or a bad thing??? I have heard you become very reliant on the flasher once you do have one.

strungout
12-13-2013, 02:58 PM
I honestly wouldn't even go ice fishing without my vexilar. Money well spent! :)

gatorhunter
12-13-2013, 03:01 PM
DON'T BUY ONE!!!!!!!

Once you own one you can't fish without it. :bad_boys_20:3 and counting for me. 1 isn't enough, need a back up and loaners to partners who don't have them.

Not many outdoorsy incidents are as disappointing as leaving a flasher at home when you arrive at your fishing destination. OMG!

Can't ice fish without a flasher. Nope!

Stella
12-13-2013, 03:19 PM
3 and counting for me. 1 isn't enough, need a back up and loaners to partners who don't have them.

Not many outdoorsy incidents are as disappointing as leaving a flasher at home when you arrive at your fishing destination. OMG!

Can't ice fish without a flasher. Nope!

How do you afford to have that many when they are around $500 a pop? Good to hear they are must for fishing. Now to find a reasonably priced one to buy. any suggestions where to pick up one for a decent price?

snowman160
12-13-2013, 03:23 PM
I wish I had bought one yrs ago.best thing goin for hard water..I just have a marcum LX-3 an it works great!!440$ I think at wholesale last yr

gatorhunter
12-13-2013, 03:33 PM
I didn't buy them all at once. Bought a brand new Vexilar FL 20 Ultra in 2006 or 2007. About 3 years later, my wife and I bought a reconditioned Vexilar FL 20 Ultra right from the company in Minneapolis, for our daughter and her bf. They broke up and my daughter took the Vex! That's my girl. haha.

Had a brain cramp with my first one and it fell off the back of my truck. Bought a used FL 8 that night. Sent the broken unit down to Vex HQ in Minneapolis. Cost me $150 to get it fixed. Kept the FL 8 so I have 3. :)

Used ones always come up for sale on Kij and other places; including outdoor forums.

gatorhunter
12-13-2013, 03:37 PM
And before you or anyone else asks, all makes are good. Like cars, truck, sleds, you pick whatever floats your boat.

The only thing that I would recommend is spending a few extra dollars and get a higher end model. They do more with zooms, etc. I can almost guarantee that buying a lower end model will make you want to get a higher end unit before long. Obviously a person's financial status is a factor.

A flasher is the single most important development in the angling world in the last generation.

They can also be used in open water so they are more than a 4 month angling tool.

splake0
12-13-2013, 03:56 PM
I second the motion of buying the best you can afford. I have a Vexilar FL 18 dual beam transducer. love it.

My buddy has a Marcum LX7. Very nice, newer technogily.

Chisholm77
12-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Not sure where you are but there is an FL20 on Kijiji in calgary right now for $425. Sounds like it's hardly been used.

fishermansfriend
12-13-2013, 05:40 PM
i am using the fl-20 superpak. its sick. wont fish without it anymore.

EZM
12-13-2013, 06:46 PM
I'd suggest you buy a 2 in one unit - flasher/sonar with a GPS.

Humminbird 385 ci ICE

You can use it in the summer or winter (separate transducers required), and it has GPS to mark the good spots or drop offs. The card allows you to import and share waypoints if you want to from your other electronics.

You can use it as a flasher or sonar (if that's easier for you to understand and interpret).

A flasher is great - but serves only one purpose.

$479 regular price with everything you need.

huntsfurfish
12-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Marcum LX-9

Best of Flasher/Sonars plus top of the line camera as well.
Can buy a boat transducer for it as well.

You might want to check out Lowrance finders as well.:)

EZM
12-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Marcum LX-9

Best of Flasher/Sonars plus top of the line camera as well.
Can buy a boat transducer for it as well.

You might want to check out Lowrance finders as well.:)

For $1200, you are right, it's a great unit ........:)

It's also one less piece of equipment to set up and haul around ....... for me, I prefer a separate camera to use in summer .....

huntsfurfish
12-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Have a Marcum 825 for that.;)

Angler107
12-07-2019, 05:10 AM
Yes! I totally recommend the Vexilar Flasher Fish Finder (https://ioutdooryou.com/best-vexilar-flasher-fish-finder/)! Once you get one; you won't won't to get another.

Good luck

TimboLefty
12-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Love my vex, I forgot it on the bench charging one day,drove back home 30 minutes to get it

sns2
12-07-2019, 10:01 AM
This unit right here is the best deal anyone will find. I chatted with the owner via text and he sent me pics. You could repackage the darn thing and take it back to the store it is that new. Used once. Owner is a straight shooter.

BTW, 1/10th of one percent of Vexilar's are returned for issues. I run one for this very reason. They are simply bulletproof. You will not be disappointed in this unit and it is a great deal.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=372462&highlight=Vexilar

PerchBuster
12-10-2019, 07:03 AM
Underwater camera 20’ and under, Flasher unit 21’ and over, now go play!

Wrangler3878
12-18-2019, 12:48 PM
This unit right here is the best deal anyone will find. I chatted with the owner via text and he sent me pics. You could repackage the darn thing and take it back to the store it is that new. Used once. Owner is a straight shooter.

BTW, 1/10th of one percent of Vexilar's are returned for issues. I run one for this very reason. They are simply bulletproof. You will not be disappointed in this unit and it is a great deal.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=372462&highlight=Vexilar

Thanks SNS, appreciate the advertising, sold it to another AO member!!

Vapor
12-18-2019, 02:40 PM
FLX-28 Best money I've ever spent for icing fish.

Vexilar FTW!!!

:)

Binati
12-18-2019, 07:45 PM
I use a deeper plus. Been great fits in your pocket works on phone or tablet. Never used anything else but it's been great entry level. Summer or winter nothing to change. Only issue is battery doesnt last for 5 to 6 hours but I have phone charger batteries and jig blind while it charges to last me rest of trip. Does gps maps everything depths contours can make notes. Records everything too so can go back and look. Been fine for me.