PDA

View Full Version : Night fishing burb?

jbfishing
12-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Any one have much success night fishing burbot? I was think of doing a later afternoon and night fishing trip to Haig lake. If any one has any tips please post

fishermansfriend
12-14-2013, 12:29 PM
thats the best time to get em.. late at night and just use a 3/4 oz jig tipped with a minnow or smelt and bang it off the bottom

winger7mm
12-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Iv found the fishing to be quite good from about 930-11. We also use glow jigs, Dunno how much of a difference they make since thats all we use but they work lol. I also use large smelts then cut them in half diagonally. Having a larger surface of bait meat and insides open in the water to disperse scent. For smaller smelts ill make a cut after the gills to the tail. I also dead stick one jig, and bounce the other. Im headed out this afternoon and hope to have some pics to share :)

Burbot also bite very lightly, most of the time anyways lol. So try not to have any slack in the line. Oh and if you have a pair of jaw spreaders take em with you, if not go to canadian tire and buy a cheap pair, I picked up a pair this morning for 3.99. Assuming you know about the nail on a board trick, bring that with you to lol, they are slimy and make a big mess in the back of the truck ;)

Good luck!

jbfishing
12-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info I will give your tips a try and let you know how it does :) how deep of water do u usually fish for burb in?

thundra
12-22-2013, 09:58 AM
is it ok to ice fish at night

jbfishing
12-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Pretty sure that if it doesn't say you can't fish at night in the regs then it is Ok, but make sure u look it up some lakes are day light fishing only.

jbfishing
12-22-2013, 10:29 AM
If you look at the section of the regs that I added in previous message McGregor lake at curtain times of year is day time fishing only

winger7mm
12-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the info I will give your tips a try and let you know how it does :) how deep of water do u usually fish for burb in?

My last trip out I learned a thing or two lmao. So from about 5-730ish I was in roughly 28 FOW. After that the bite slowed right down. I shoulda pulled anchor and moved into 20-16 FOW, But I was lazy lol. Its tough to find your previous exact spot in the dark and with a fresh skiff of snow lol. I also put the barbed to non barbed catch rate to test. The non barbed for every fish I landed I lost 4-5 3/4 of the way to the hole. The barbed, everyone was brought to the hole. And the smelt didnt stay on the hook very well while bouncing the bottom (on the non barbed). That non barbed jig, is getting snipped and going in the garbage. Hope that helps, send me a pm if you got more questions.

Hunter Trav
12-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Don't garbage the jig, get yourself some bait buttons. Just tried them for the first time this winter and they work great on both barbed and non barbed...

Flieguy
12-22-2013, 07:06 PM
you can also stick on a piece of elastic band, or use a hole punch and punch out "bait buttons" from old yogurt containers and whatnot.

winger7mm
12-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Don't garbage the jig, get yourself some bait buttons. Just tried them for the first time this winter and they work great on both barbed and non barbed...

Bait buttons??? Hmmm may have to learn something new ;) lol

BPman
12-22-2013, 10:35 PM
I learned how to keep bait on my barbless hooks effectively. I save my Calgary Herald elastic bands and cut them into 1/2" pieces. Push the hook point through about 1/8" from one end, then place your bait on the hook then stretch the band over the bait and push the hook point through again. Fish don't seem to mind the elastic and the tension keeps the bait from sliding, or being stolen off the hook. Cheap too.

waterninja
12-22-2013, 10:47 PM
burbot fishing is great at night. i know a lot of people who don't even set up till evening, planning to fish well into dark for burbs. good luck.