PDA

View Full Version : coming to visit ! insite please !

spoxick
12-15-2013, 09:13 PM
hey guys !
me and my wife will be in banff canmore for the last wk in feb and would love to do some trout/laker fishing !

was thinking spray for sure.
upper and lower k
sibbald
wadge

from what I read digging through a lot of post these seem like a good start.

I would love to ice lakers, brook, rainbow, brown, and a bull. at least one of each would be perfect !
im c&r mainly but would love to try one of the little spray lakers.

im thinking of bring out a sled. but will have a sleigh forsure.

any insight or friendly suggestions on which lakes , access to the lakes, does my sled have to be a 4 stroke if im not in the park ? or any other input one might have for me ? !!!!

Thanks in advance !

BeeGuy
12-15-2013, 09:27 PM
No motorized vehicles in the parks. So spray, and the Kananaskis lakes are out for a sled.

Don't need one at sibbald or wedge.

Those are all decent options for trout.

Flieguy
12-15-2013, 09:34 PM
sibbald is iffy... that being said, I've had good days there. Fish the pond if you go, not sibbald "lake". The pond is a bit farther west.

as Bee said, you can't drive on Spray or Kananaskis lakes with any motorized vehicle.

If you've only got one day to fish, head to spray very early (before sunrise) and set up in 80+ fow. Park where other people do and head well out from shore. It gets windy there a lot so heads up. buzz bombs or white tubes near the bottom, but they sometimes suspend so a flasher is helpful.

after about 11am, you can head for shallower water, 10' or so, and use tiny jigs and spoons tipped with maggots for rockies. they're fun and tasty.

thumper
12-15-2013, 09:37 PM
No reason to bring a sled, just a small toboggan for hauling out your stuff!
Check in with the friendly folks at Wapiti Sports in Canmore when you arrive, and they'll point you in the right direction with the latest updates.
You should have no problem knocking lakers off your list at Spray, and then bulls and cutthroats at Kananaskis. I haven't heard how Sibbald is fishing this winter.

spoxick
12-16-2013, 09:13 AM
perfect so leaving the sled at home ! yay no trailer ! its a long drive from regina so one less thing to worry about messing up. I will have 4 possibly 5 full days there !
when you guys say windy does it get too windy for a well anchored pop up ?
for the k lakes should I put time in on upper or lower ?

weve got lakers , whites, cuts, and bulls covered, and options for rains browns brooks ? and from reading in your synopsys there is no fishing on any streams or rivers through the ice ?

thanks for your helop guys keep it coming !

Flieguy
12-16-2013, 09:55 AM
well anchored pop up tent will do fine.

barrier lake has browns and the odd brookie, but it's a very marginal fishery.

one day at sibbald pond I caught a few rainbows as well as a couple cutts and a brookie, so that may be a good option.

if you're after something a little different, wedge pond has grayling in it. But I've never fished it, and there's a bait ban on it.

Has anybody ever ice fished Quarry lake? that might be another option as well.

I'm not the guy to talk to for K lakes, but I sent you a PM on Sibbald.

spoxick
12-18-2013, 01:01 PM
thanks

is ghost worth the effort ?

BeeGuy
12-18-2013, 03:53 PM
thanks

is ghost worth the effort ?

To put it simply, no.

You will do much better on any given day at Spray.

My first dozen trips to ghost were a huge bust and it doesn't get a whole lot better from there. Location and timing are critical and take considerable reconnaissance IMO.

spoxick
12-19-2013, 01:32 PM
sounds a lot like lake deifenbaker !!!

goldscud
12-19-2013, 03:43 PM
I would scratch brown from your list....they are VERY rare in Barrier lake

Flieguy
12-19-2013, 07:22 PM
went to ghost today.... couple bites between 3 of us from 9am to 4pm.

stick to spray for rockies and lakers

spoxick
02-14-2014, 11:19 PM
are there any upper or lower k lakes master kicking around here ?

which would be a little better option upper or lower ?

also for the k lakes does one go out real deep as well or stick to the shores and structure ?