PDA

View Full Version : Anybody with floodwater vs skidoo experience?

walleyeca
12-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi all, I just purchased a summit 800 154", because after losing a truck through the ice once well that was enough! I am now flipping a new leaf(snow leaf) and instituting a no drive truck on ice personal rule, I was wondering how does the sled react to the flood water? I know this sounds dumb but I have vaguely heard stuff but nothing to the point, like does the sled stay on top or do PIN IT? Does the water splash all over the driver? Ill be pulling a flip up house in most situations,or is there any tricks other than get the heck out of there, Again I just want to be prepared! Thanks

maddog49
12-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Pin it

snowman160
12-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Although I'm not a sled owner I've been on the back of one many times in floodwater situations.guess my only advise is if ya think its wet under where ya wanna stop to fish or yur sinking already try to park on a spot ya think is just snow an no floodwater.an second is if ya do fill yur track up with slush from getting stuck then get the slush out ASAP before it freezes..that can be a disaster having a frozen track...been there before..

dragon
12-17-2013, 10:07 AM
I have had that exact same sled. Your sled will want to naturally stay on top but pulling a skiff is a whole new ball game. The extra weight wants to pull your back end down and makes getting stuck a lot easier.

Rule of thumb if you feel the back end bog down whether its flood ice or your breaking through the ice, hit the throttle. You generally do not get wet from flood ice.

Two things that I take with me every time I go sledding. a rope and a shovel. Buy a nice metal shovel like below. You will thank me when you have to dig your sled out.

https://snowsafety.infusionsoft.com/app/storeFront/showProductDetail?productId=175

Walleyemagnet
12-17-2013, 10:10 AM
As long as you're maintaining any amount of forward momentum you'll keep moving. You'll notice the back end of the sled drop down and you'll look back to see water shooting out from you're track. It's just a natural reaction to pin the throttle to the bar and get the hell out of there. It's not a very pleasant experience, you always wonder if it's just floodwater or open water but I'd rather be going through it on a sled than with a truck. You won't get water all over you either, just out the back of the machine. If you're noticing a lot of floodwater on the way to your spot, when you're getting close to your destination, look back to see if there's water/slush in your tracks. If there is, when you get to your spot, don't stop! Make a loop around it to see if there's floodwater. With your sled even if you stop and there's 6" of floodwater under the snow, that 154 mountain track will get you out no problem if you rock the sled from side to side as you give it throttle. At worse you'll have to unhook your sleigh and do a couple quick drive-bys to pack the snow down in front of the sleigh so you'll have good traction once you hook it back up. I've only ever used a snowmobile for ice fishing and I've been in some situations where there could possibly have been a foot or 2 of floodwater under the snow. When this happens just rip on it and get out of there and don't stop until you look back and see no water in your tracks. Make sure you carry a clean pair of shorts for these instances too.

LCCFisherman
12-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Giver ****! I hit so bad on cold last winter, was doin 8 grand and doin maybe 15kph.. was BAD! Whatever you do don't stop til ur out of it.

Walleyemagnet
12-17-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking about getting a floater suit this year, you can't be too safe out there on the ice.

walleyeca
12-17-2013, 10:34 AM
WOW thanks guys this is awesome info! Ya Im just so scared of the ice now but yet I yearn for the tug on the line I need to get out soon and Ill stick to my rule to not go till after Christmas I know lots of you are already out there and having fun and Im truly jealous but at 6'2 and 300lbs Im no fly weight, I need some ice beneath this pus$#Y before I go out! LOL, Thanks again guys

binnzer32
12-17-2013, 11:01 AM
I was the first skidoo out on battle. I got a 800 but just a 121 track. Maybe 8-10 inches in some places. Lots of spring holes. I just pin er and park on snow pack. I sometimes bring a log to lift track onto. The ice is a mess...

Brandonkop
12-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Don't stop in flood water or you could be up a creek without a paddle... so bring a paddle if you plan on stopping. The track just spins like crazy but you go no where. So take it from me and the rest of the guys just PIN IT! and don't stop till your rooster tail of slush is gone :)

fish gunner
12-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Umm how about spend more time checking conditions and less time puttimg your life and gear at risk . Head scratch, if the tow sled hits ice or gets roosted your done . Water weights abt, a ton per cube, pin it wont move a ton of tow behind sled. More thinking, less throttle.:)

HunterDave
12-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah, pin it and hopefully you can find a solid spot.

Make sure that you have a cover/tarp for your flip up.....lol.

Coscto has good, portable shovels, two for $20ish and just as good as the $80 ones. I have one on the sled and one in the flip up.

A continuous ride through heavy, wet slush is hard on the motor. I blew the engine in a older Powder Special doing it. You shouldn't have any problems like that with a newer, longer, more powerful sled though. Just a thought for other fellas. PS recovering it wasn't any fun and it took two sleds to tow.

Mike_W
12-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Umm how about spend more time checking conditions and less time puttimg your life and gear at risk . Head scratch, if the tow sled hits ice or gets roosted your done . Water weights abt, a ton per cube, pin it wont move a ton of tow behind sled. More thinking, less throttle.:)

More English and less of this ^^^!!!
Fish gunner you can hit flood water hidden by snow....it happens.

If you hit flood just don't stop and keep the rpms up!
I didn't take my sled out on Pigeon Sunday because I could see how bad the flood water was everywhere and didn't want to stop in it.

dragon
12-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Umm how about spend more time checking conditions and less time putting your life and gear at risk . Head scratch, if the tow sled hits ice or gets roosted your done . Water weights abt, a ton per cube, pin it wont move a ton of tow behind sled. More thinking, less throttle.:)

I always walk my sled route before I head out to look for obstacles and possible poor ice conditions....:confused0024:

The most dangerous part of your fishing day is probably the drive to and from your house on the highway.

You are right you should check your conditions but you can't always see flood ice until you are in it. Yes we know local lakes have it now but it also occurs at other times during the year that are not snow fall related. Also riding your snowmobile across flood ice is hardly "putting your life and gear at risk". It's ok if your fishing gear gets wet right?

Prewar
12-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Me and the girlfriend got our 370's stuck on Wolf Lake while ice fishing last year. About 12" of water under maybe 8" of snow. Luckily a guy who was quite easily getting around on his Summit helped me muscle the 2 out. Not a cool situation to have happen at sunset. We upgraded to Tundra 600ACE's but with the 1.25" track I doubt they would be as capable as a more powerful "mountain" tracked sled in severe floodwater conditions.

binnzer32
12-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Walk your sled route.... I wouldn't have any time left to fish. .

Kim473
12-17-2013, 03:57 PM
A couple hundred ice picks and cleats on the track. Pin it, get the He, double tooth pick out of Dodge.

jaystev
12-17-2013, 09:54 PM
I pull a fairly heavy flipup with my 155 inch 800. My experience is do not pin it unless youre going pretty good speed already. If you start to bog down give it just enough to keep track turning and start kicking like on a skateboard. If you pin it while bogging down all youll do is clear the snow/slush down to the ice, and this is bad as you wont have any traction. You want the track to pack and grab the snow not shoot it out the back in a 50 ft roostertail. Another tip i have is while youre cruising on the lake try to maintain a speed that keeps you up on the snow. Everytime Ive gotten stuck in slush was a direct result of going too slow. Oh and never let your track sit in flood water! its amazing how quickly itll freeze your sled to the ice.

Walleyemagnet
12-17-2013, 11:29 PM
One thing that I've always done in the past is just to take the machine for a quick fast run without the sleigh behind just to see what the conditions are like. I do this when the fish aren't biting too. Not only will it give you some insight on potential floodwater, it'll clear your mind and make you think about that lure that's in your tackle box that you forgot to try. Oh, here's another trick: if you're getting lots of action and it dies off, just fire your sled up and do some laps around your spot. Start with a big circle and keep closing in. This seems to "round up" the fish back to your spot. An old dude told me this a long time ago and it does work! Don't tell anyone though,and always remember that Nickelback sucks!

Drewski Canuck
12-18-2013, 07:28 AM
All good points about flood ice, but what is most important is what you do after. Froze a sled to a garage floor a few years ago, as it was dripping wet when we pulled it in after an afternoon of 3 foot of snow and 1 foot of flood.

Now I put the sleds on track stands and rev the tracks up really good, to get as much water off the tracks beforehand.

It is VERY HARD TO GET A TIGER TORCH onto the frozen track without setting the sled on fire.

We had to wait until a Chinook to get that sled off the floor.

Drewski

deanstroyer
12-18-2013, 07:43 AM
All good points about flood ice, but what is most important is what you do after. Froze a sled to a garage floor a few years ago, as it was dripping wet when we pulled it in after an afternoon of 3 foot of snow and 1 foot of flood.

Now I put the sleds on track stands and rev the tracks up really good, to get as much water off the tracks beforehand.

It is VERY HARD TO GET A TIGER TORCH onto the frozen track without setting the sled on fire.

We had to wait until a Chinook to get that sled off the floor.

Drewski
tiger torch and 3-4' of 4" metal pipe, tiger torch at one end, it will push hot air out the other end . should elimate most of the fire risk

EZM
12-18-2013, 07:55 AM
and always remember that Nickelback sucks!

Agreed ....... 100%

WayneChristie
12-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Nothing to do with sleds and slush, just wanted to say those 3 fish I have in the derby were all caught with the help of my aquaview you fixed for me, so I want to say thank you where everyone can see it. Thanks

javlin101
12-18-2013, 10:29 AM
you are not the only one Doc although I did not lose a vehicle but never take mine out on the ice. I have quad and sled for fishing. I have hit flood ice a couple of times on my quad and just last weekend with my sled. I have a Tundra 550F with the 20" x 1-1/4" paddles. We were doing about 20mph and hit the slop. Just keep a steady forward motion and add throttle as needed, just don't stop.

Was at the Haylo Rally a couple years back on my Polaris 700 quad and hit a large patch of flood ice going about 50mph. Scared the ever living *rap out of me. I am 6ft 230lbs and the quad is heavy(2 up with dump box), I nearly bailed thinking I broke through.

waterninja
12-18-2013, 02:14 PM
don't own a sled right now but i do pull a sleigh out on the lake from shore at many ponds and lakes and i think that this thread is the right one to say thanks to sled owners who break a trail for me. really makes it easier for an old guy puling all the gear needed.

so.....thank-you.

binnzer32
12-18-2013, 02:50 PM
No prob man. I drive walkers out when I see them

Dr. Fish
12-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Hi all, I just purchased a summit 800 154", because after losing a truck through the ice once well that was enough! I am now flipping a new leaf(snow leaf) and instituting a no drive truck on ice personal rule, I was wondering how does the sled react to the flood water? I know this sounds dumb but I have vaguely heard stuff but nothing to the point, like does the sled stay on top or do PIN IT? Does the water splash all over the driver? Ill be pulling a flip up house in most situations,or is there any tricks other than get the heck out of there, Again I just want to be prepared! Thanks

With a sled like that it should be no problem. I've done it with a summit 600, 144" plenty of times and never had a problem. If theres no tracks going out I unhook the sleigh and go for a rip to check for flood water. Keep the throttle down and theres no problem, just don't stop. You could burn across patches of open water with your summit without problem if you wanted to.

GregT
12-18-2013, 04:54 PM
If youre cruising through lots of slush id pack an extra spare belt (two spares). the slush adds a lot of extra load onto your sled.