PDA

View Full Version : Attitudes

latenite
12-17-2013, 11:53 PM
It has been said a bazillion times on here, "go research for yourself, we spent our own time looking for hotspots and techniques, figure it out for yourself!"
With so limited resources available to anglers in this province, and new people trying the sport, sometimes they need some guidance. We all learned from someone down the road what might work on fish and where to try finding them.
What I find ridiculous is, someone starts a thread looking for help, and some members feel it's necessary to bash them for asking. No one asked for that kind of input. You don't want to share, zip your lip! Keep it to yourself! No one forced you to comment. I don't blame you for keeping it to yourself, but keep your negative crap to yourself as well!
Do yourself and the the rest of us a favour, if you see a thread with someone asking for help, ignore it! Move along and read about ice augers or pop ups or something.
I've spent twenty years in my area trying to catch fish, and sure could have used some help . Could have saved a few bucks on useless gear too.
So let's get off our high horses and cut some of these folks some slack.
We're sportsmen, so let's be sports about it, eh?
(insert negative comments after the beep!) BEEEP!

BeeGuy
12-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Too many people expect to be spoon fed.

90% of contributions are by 10% of the members.

If you want to know where to go or how to catch fish at Spray for example.....there are already 300 threads that you can read that will provide you with what you want to know x1000.

That is the other side of your complaint.

Members here are generous with spots and techniques.

What more do you want?

latenite
12-18-2013, 12:41 AM

If you want to know where to go or how to catch fish at Spray for example.....there are already 300 threads that you can read that will provide you with what you want to know x1000.

What more do you want?

The intent of my rant was to point out that when someone asks for help, they get blasted for asking. I am just saying if someone doesn't want to help, leave well enough alone. No comment needed. I did say I don't fault anyone for not sharing, I respect that.
I have read some of these posts and someone always comes on and blasts the OP for asking. You don't have to tell them how to tie a knot or something like that.
I usually fish Brownlow's, and it's a small town in the winter, but I kinda like the community feeling it has. People chatting about what's happening and what's working or not. We're a friendly bunch there, but there are folks who keep to themselves and that's ok too.
Anyway, just wanted to say my piece for what it's worth, and I know there are lots who don't agree, and that's ok too.
I hope we all have a Merry Christmas and keep your lines tight!

Adwittoutdoors
12-18-2013, 01:24 AM
That's why I don't post on this forum , way ........ to much negativity !! I was taught to stand up for what is right ( 33 '' ....... ) and to shut up when I had nothing positive to say. If asked respond , if not shut up please. Some people don't have the extra time or money so a little help sometimes is needed !!! I sure I'm gonna get roasted but whatever. Stop being grumpy old men already. I'm half way there lol :sHa_shakeshout:

tight line
12-18-2013, 03:42 AM
when i was 4 my dad taught me how to catch trout with worms and a bobber. From there i have learned mainly from trial and error how to fish many different ways and different technics. By Myself & with the company of friends sometimes of course-. Its crazy to think about how much of my life ive spent fishing. walking rivers, wading, drilling holes, Hiking to Lakes i CANT find, watching sonars, searching google, casting in lakes that turns out have no fish in it...lol. Ive fished Rivers for 20 years, and still havent figured them out.. The places i go and the fish i catch mean ALOT to me. Fishing is a Big part of my life, and ive worked hard since i was a little kid to try to "Catch the Big One". And to me thats how fishing should be. It shouldn't be about asking someone where to go or what to use, it will only make you lazy and less appreciative about your Prize. It is much more rewarding to go to a Spot you have never tried and put in your time, figure out the water body. If your Lucky you catch something. Bee Guy is Right as well. most of the time the info on a certain lake has multiple threads already about it. But instead of searching & reading all that info, its easier to post a thread and let the friendly people on here repost info they have already typed repeatedly... the best info i can share is go fishing!!! all the same i would never bash anyone for asking...

Kyle
12-18-2013, 06:43 AM
With so limited resources available to anglers in this province, and new people trying the sport, sometimes they need some guidance.

I'm not sure if you mean there is no water available or no help on fishing but either way there is lots of both. Plenty of books on fishing some even talk just about AB. I'm all for teaching people new tricks or talking about fishing but when people want to know the exact spot you fished you have to draw the line somewhere.

I wonder how my Grandpa ever learned to fish and found his honeyholes without the internet???:snapoutofit:

Kyle
12-18-2013, 06:44 AM
ive worked hard since i was a little kid to try to "Catch the Big One". And to me thats how fishing should be. It shouldn't be about asking someone where to go or what to use, it will only make you lazy and less appreciative about your Prize. It is much more rewarding to go to a Spot you have never tried and put in your time, figure out the water body.

Very well said...some people are spoon fed by mommy and daddy and never grow out of it.

WayneChristie
12-18-2013, 07:11 AM
This forum is a great resource, but when a person has a question do you go to wikipedia and email them ask a question? Nope you type it in the search bar and look it up. Then if you still cant find an answer feel free to ask. Seeing a question posted 2 or 3 times on the same page gets rather frustrating after a while. People are always willing to help out, but put in a bit of effort yourself. As for directions to a persons honey hole, nope. Tired of cleaning up other peoples garbage

burbotman
12-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Techniques are one thing locations quite another. With our population and limited water bodies, helping someone out with a spot on the internet can be damaging

Just look at all the old posts on PCR and burbot fishing. Some great photos to be found of sinks full of small burbs. Now we see threads on the poor fishing there, not hard to connect the dots

That said I do actually agree with the op in some senses. Some times the "search for yourself" comments can come across poorly

Not what is said but how it is said

latenite
12-18-2013, 08:18 AM
The whole point is, like the old adage says "if you can't something nice, say nothing at all". Just ignore the post asking for the same info over and over. Why does it irritate you so much if someone asks the same questions many times? Life's too short, move on. Sure they could search, but they don't. Oh well. It's a free forum, and unless your username is followed by "moderator", leave it be.

THERICARDO
12-18-2013, 09:11 AM
I was in the category of new to fishing in Alberta 4 years ago, found out about this site and read as much as I could. Once you post more you meet people here and out fishing. Have never had an issue getting info once people saw I could also contribute something.

Have met a lot of great people from AO that today I call friends and fish with often. I think something has been lost in all this though... Exploring new lakes and finding out what works and when is part of the fun for me and wouldnt make my fishing experience what it is today.

Fishing isnt always about catching fish, scouting a place and it becoming productive for you is a major part of the fun...

Just my thoughts

Okotokian
12-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Good points. I just get peeved when some guy admits he can't be bothered to look at the regulations but wants us to tell him what the rules are. If a guy says "I read the regs but I don't understand..." I've got plenty of time for him.

338Bluff
12-18-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure if you mean there is no water available or no help on fishing but either way there is lots of both. Plenty of books on fishing some even talk just about AB. I'm all for teaching people new tricks or talking about fishing but when people want to know the exact spot you fished you have to draw the line somewhere.

I wonder how my Grandpa ever learned to fish and found his honeyholes without the internet???:snapoutofit:

Something called the coffee shop.....now we have internet forums. Still have to sift through the BS.

Coffee shop tended to be more polite and there was considerably less 'calling guys out' as it tended to make for a spirited morning at the coffee shop.

huntsfurfish
12-18-2013, 10:10 AM

What more do you want?

when i was 4 my dad taught me how to catch trout with worms and a bobber. From there i have learned mainly from trial and error how to fish many different ways and different technics. By Myself & with the company of friends sometimes of course-. Its crazy to think about how much of my life ive spent fishing. walking rivers, wading, drilling holes, Hiking to Lakes i CANT find, watching sonars, searching google, casting in lakes that turns out have no fish in it...lol. Ive fished Rivers for 20 years, and still havent figured them out.. The places i go and the fish i catch mean ALOT to me. Fishing is a Big part of my life, and ive worked hard since i was a little kid to try to "Catch the Big One". And to me thats how fishing should be. It shouldn't be about asking someone where to go or what to use, it will only make you lazy and less appreciative about your Prize. It is much more rewarding to go to a Spot you have never tried and put in your time, figure out the water body. If your Lucky you catch something. Bee Guy is Right as well. most of the time the info on a certain lake has multiple threads already about it. But instead of searching & reading all that info, its easier to post a thread and let the friendly people on here repost info they have already typed repeatedly... the best info i can share is go fishing!!! all the same i would never bash anyone for asking...

This forum is a great resource, but when a person has a question do you go to wikipedia and email them ask a question? Nope you type it in the search bar and look it up. Then if you still cant find an answer feel free to ask. Seeing a question posted 2 or 3 times on the same page gets rather frustrating after a while. People are always willing to help out, but put in a bit of effort yourself. As for directions to a persons honey hole, nope. Tired of cleaning up other peoples garbage

Techniques are one thing locations quite another. With our population and limited water bodies, helping someone out with a spot on the internet can be damaging

Just look at all the old posts on PCR and burbot fishing. Some great photos to be found of sinks full of small burbs. Now we see threads on the poor fishing there, not hard to connect the dots

That said I do actually agree with the op in some senses. Some times the "search for yourself" comments can come across poorly

Agree, well said.

Just go fish

huntsfurfish
12-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Something called the coffee shop.....now we have internet forums. Still have to sift through the BS.

Coffee shop tended to be more polite and there was considerably less 'calling guys out' as it tended to make for a spirited morning at the coffee shop.

Coffee shop you were there mostly with your friends(guys you frequently shared info with). Not total strangers.

jacenbeers
12-18-2013, 11:10 AM

That was probably my sink full of burbs.

BeeGuy
12-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Good thread. Hope it gets lots of views and stays civil.

I'm not a hard ace and am happy to help.

That said, a good man helps himself first before he asks for assistance.

Happy to assist with the simplest of questions so long a someone has at least tried first.

That is reasonable IMO and not negative or rude.

I've helped many and have been helped in turn.

Cheers and good burbin...(bourbon?)

Gunfighter
12-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Coffee shop you were there mostly with your friends(guys you frequently shared info with). Not total strangers.

Yup totally agree , however most keyboard commandos would be far more pleasant in person even with a stranger then they are here
That said text does little to help the perception as well

gatorhunter
12-18-2013, 08:28 PM

Coffee shop tended to be more polite and there was considerably less 'calling guys out' as it tended to make for a spirited morning at the coffee shop.The best analogy I've ever seen! Permission to use it SIR!

sparky660
12-18-2013, 09:50 PM

That's because they can hide behind a computer. Some of the responses you get on here would get your teeth knocked out in a coffee shop.:fighting0030::)

KegRiver
12-19-2013, 12:19 AM
No doubt some folks do act rather rudely when asked to help others, but not everyone.

Just the other day a fellow woke me up to ask if I knew where there were any Elk?

In his defense he probably didn't realize I was asleep all he could see was a truck idling beside the highway, and certainly he had no way of knowing that I hadn't had a decent sleep in three days.

So I had pulled off the highway for a short nap so I could put in a few more hours plowing, and I get woke up by someone looking for Elk!!!!

I was polite, although not altogether with it. I told him where I thought he might find a Elk, we said goodby and he went off in search of Elk and I stuffed the truck in gear and headed into the eye of the storm once again.

Life is a basket of roses these days.

Suck it up people, no need to be rude to anyone for any reason.

Zeb
12-19-2013, 08:51 AM
It is hard to stay civil I guess when you type out responses and not in person. I posted the other day I have caught probably 5000( I was trying to be nice) fish in my life which is a lie it is more like 50000 and these are in Alberta streams and lakes and not easy fishing all trout. A guy pipes up on here well 5000 is not really that many and maybe it was in easy to catch areas well ...wrong. You can try to be polite by it doesn't always work due to many variables online. Oh Beeguy I will answer your PM shortly I have been busy lately. All of this being said you will never learn the true secrets of hunting and fishing without experience and close friends/relatives that help you along the way.

thunderheart
12-19-2013, 09:55 AM
No doubt some folks do act rather rudely when asked to help others, but not everyone.

Just the other day a fellow woke me up to ask if I knew where there were any Elk?

In his defense he probably didn't realize I was asleep all he could see was a truck idling beside the highway, and certainly he had no way of knowing that I hadn't had a decent sleep in three days.

So I had pulled off the highway for a short nap so I could put in a few more hours plowing, and I get woke up by someone looking for Elk!!!!

I was polite, although not altogether with it. I told him where I thought he might find a Elk, we said goodby and he went off in search of Elk and I stuffed the truck in gear and headed into the eye of the storm once again.

Life is a basket of roses these days.

Suck it up people, no need to be rude to anyone for any reason.

perfect answer ...

Suck it up people, no need to be rude to anyone for any reason

the op original post was dont be mean .. dont have to flame someone for asking .... each and every one has asked for assistance whether it be fishing hunting building painting driving shopping ..you get the picture ..lol

coffee shops were more civil because u might actually get popped in the chops for being as rude as some .. cant hide behind a key board there lol

smile and wave dumbly if you dont want to answer

merry christmas to you all .. :)

darren32
12-19-2013, 10:20 AM
It has been said a bazillion times on here, "go research for yourself, we spent our own time looking for hotspots and techniques, figure it out for yourself!"
With so limited resources available to anglers in this province, and new people trying the sport, sometimes they need some guidance. We all learned from someone down the road what might work on fish and where to try finding them.
What I find ridiculous is, someone starts a thread looking for help, and some members feel it's necessary to bash them for asking. No one asked for that kind of input. You don't want to share, zip your lip! Keep it to yourself! No one forced you to comment. I don't blame you for keeping it to yourself, but keep your negative crap to yourself as well!
Do yourself and the the rest of us a favour, if you see a thread with someone asking for help, ignore it! Move along and read about ice augers or pop ups or something.
I've spent twenty years in my area trying to catch fish, and sure could have used some help . Could have saved a few bucks on useless gear too.
So let's get off our high horses and cut some of these folks some slack.
We're sportsmen, so let's be sports about it, eh?
(insert negative comments after the beep!) BEEEP!

Being someone with 3 posts ..... and brand new to ice fishing ..... I appreciate your post latenite. Thanks. If you are ever on the west end of wabamun send me a PM and I will buy you a beer.

I will do my best to keep my spoon tucked away.

Thanks

Morph1
12-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Would anyone mind sharing good lake with jumbo perch other than Hasse ? lol
Barry Mitchell Alberta Fishing Mag is your best bet , you get all the lakes
All the fish species and the directions to get to them...
What better tool than this can you get....

kevinhits
12-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Would anyone mind sharing good lake with jumbo perch other than Hasse ? lol
Barry Mitchell Alberta Fishing Mag is your best bet , you get all the lakes
All the fish species and the directions to get to them...
What better tool than this can you get....

Can't afford it...I drive a HD chevy out fishing:sHa_sarcasticlol:

ogre
12-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Yuppers, Kev, I hear ya... I'm still driving a CRT (analog) Honda to my fishing spots :thinking-006:

... still on the search...

How are ya bud,

jbfishing
12-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Well I think people need to relax or just shut up if they are a so called expert haha I love fishing and if I call give another person a little bit of information that get them to love fishing too then mission accomplished :) yes I know some of these so called experts have put in a lot of time and they have little secrets that increase their success but relax for a minute and enjoy others people's happiness.

After all it is Christmas Ho Ho Ho ;)

Freedom55
12-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Sorry if I am not more forth giving with all the lore I have stored in my head but I have been fishing for more than 5 decades and have come to value the solitude.

If I need noise, I can get it anywhere. If I need companionship, I can go to the mall. If I need a sip, I can go to the bar. If I need quiet, I go fishing.

However, that is not to say that if you need my information that I won't give it to you. It's just that if I tell you, then everyone around will know also. I'm okay with that, except that most of you don't share my love for the oneness with nature. You want to bring the ill-mannered dog (who can blame him after being locked up in the backyard all week?) and the screaming children (who can blame them after being held prisoner in an institution all week?)
the dam stereo at 10000watts of power and of course, the ubiquitous cooler of intoxicants. Plus as many distractions as you can fit in the pick-up.

Go fishing with a grumpy old man. Leave your life at home and discover the joy of looking to defeat a creature with a tiny brain and a keener instinct for survival. Listen to the old guy and leave fishing for the quiet times when you need to shut out the din and hub-a-bub.

That is my attitude.

And BTW, those guys on TV don't sell fishing, they sell fishing gear. Big difference.

Free

J D
12-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Personally with me info is free but I won't draw an X on a body of water and I avoid giving out info to those out to fill their freezer.

When it comes to forums I believe if you are worried about your spot just don't respond. Some info should definitely be left to PM's. When it comes to fishing forums there are lots who lurk just to scout and this is what really adds pressure to a body of water.

Maybe it is because I travel like a gypsy when it comes to fishing and may not fish a location for years. But I don't worry near as much about fishing spots as many. Also I know you can take 2 guys same gear same spot and get completely different results.

Fishing is something I enjoy and don't mind helping a rookie. Every fishermen has received advices at some point and time if they want to admit it or not.

kevinhits
12-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Yuppers, Kev, I hear ya... I'm still driving a CRT (analog) Honda to my fishing spots :thinking-006:

... still on the search...

How are ya bud,

Still doing good...I am sure you have around 500K on that honda already..LOL

Have you gone out to Gull yet with the cabin rental out there? Frank was telling me about your planned trip. I think those cabin rentals are a great idea and I hear they are almost booked for the year...

ogre
12-22-2013, 07:23 AM
I fish all over that lake. Finding likely spots for the fish, depending on what species I'm hankering for. Learning to read the lakes is part of my aim. I also mostly do single day trips so didn't really looked into cabin rentals. I would imagine any spots left open for rentals are due to cancelation.

lesw
12-22-2013, 05:47 PM
It is hard to stay civil I guess when you type out responses and not in person. I posted the other day I have caught probably 5000( I was trying to be nice) fish in my life which is a lie it is more like 50000 and these are in Alberta streams and lakes and not easy fishing all trout. A guy pipes up on here well 5000 is not really that many and maybe it was in easy to catch areas well ...wrong. You can try to be polite by it doesn't always work due to many variables online. Oh Beeguy I will answer your PM shortly I have been busy lately. All of this being said you will never learn the true secrets of hunting and fishing without experience and close friends/relatives that help you along the way.

actually I remember your post. you were calling someone out, and was bragging about how much gas you used and that you caught 5000 fish. a few people responded to you and stated that that is not a lot. so now its 50000. lol. a word of advice, once you layout your b.s. you can't keep adding to it, cause you lose all credibility.

Doubledroptine
12-22-2013, 06:26 PM

What more do you want?
Beeguy sounds like a dick!!

Richmuiz
12-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Beeguy sounds like a dick!!

Troll