PDA

View Full Version : Best 4lb line?

happyfisher
12-18-2013, 05:08 PM
I have researched a bit on the sit and i never thought of it...but im gunna re-line my rods....i heard someone using some line...then a swivel...then the 4lb line so the whites and perch cant see it...

My question what do i use as my main line...and i was thinking "vanish" 4lb about 2' down from my swivel.....does this sound correct?

and what is better mono or fluorocarbon?

thanks all

fish gunner
12-18-2013, 05:15 PM
I use vanish ,however each reel is species specific so I have an white outfit , 2perch outfits , a walleye rig and a pike jigging outfit and a levelwind for deadbaits so 3rigged with4lb one with 6lb one with 10 and a30lb leader and my level wind has 30 lb braid to 30- 50lb leader depending on the lake /conditions.

happyfisher
12-18-2013, 05:19 PM
ohhh im in a real warm permanent shack going for whites and perch.....:sHa_shakeshout:

fish gunner
12-18-2013, 05:45 PM
After and catching are a fair bit apart ive been after whites for a long time I catch perch all the time .lol

happyfisher
12-18-2013, 05:47 PM
is that a statement? i was looking for a answer....lol:thinking-006:

fish gunner
12-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Sorry im gone till the 27th after I may be able to help .

FishingFrenzy
12-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Re-spool with a high quality braid/superline (Suffix 832) in a species appropriate weight. Then use 2-6 feet of flurocarbon (species appropriate weight. I like the trilene stuff in the gold box) tied straight to that, no swivel needed.

Brandonkop
12-18-2013, 06:06 PM
I use Berkley Vanish and have been happy with it. I like the fluorocarbon advantage. I'm a believer.

huntsfurfish
12-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Best 4 lb mono is Tectan.

Actually best mono line is Tectan lines.:)

Best fluoro lines are from Seaguar

happyfisher
12-18-2013, 06:24 PM
cool... vanish it is...then a braided light line as my main....im in!!!!!!

BeeGuy
12-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Keep in mind that fluorocarbon line and fluorocarbon leader material are not the same.

That said, in most freshwater fishing situations, there is not a considerable advantage to using FC leaders over fluorocarbon line as leader material.

I'm using P-line right now for leader material. No complaints.

latenite
12-19-2013, 09:04 AM
not trying to hijack the thread, more to compliment. What knots would you recommend to attach the fc leaders? I have seen some different kinds on line package inserts but have always used the traditional fishermans knot.
I don't usually use line leaders, but after reading this thread, I think I might convert!

Hunter Trav
12-19-2013, 09:20 AM
For a perch/white setup, spool the reel with some 10/2 fireline (10lbs strength, 2lb diameter). You won't need any heavier main line than that. The only other thing you need to remember is to not horse those big Gull lake whites or they will break you off with 4lb floro/mono leaders.

Mudslide
12-19-2013, 09:41 AM
For attaching braided line to mono or FC you should use a double Uni-Knot. http://seaguar.com/seaguar-community/double-uni-knot.htm

If you want to add a FC leader to drop down from 6lb to 4lb you can just use a surgeon's knot.
http://seaguar.com/seaguar-community/surgeons-knot.htm

latenite
12-19-2013, 09:43 AM
i did some searching and the blood knot looks fairly easy to use, and should work good.

cube
12-19-2013, 10:06 AM
not trying to hijack the thread, more to compliment. What knots would you recommend to attach the fc leaders? I have seen some different kinds on line package inserts but have always used the traditional fishermans knot.
I don't usually use line leaders, but after reading this thread, I think I might convert!

Knot Wars ranks the modified Albright as the strongest line to leader knot.

The Bob Foran knot is easier to tie though.

Please note line connecting knots are not as strong as terminal connecting knots such as the Palomar, homer circle, Trilene. So if you go to the swivel system, as others have explained above, you get a stronger system and the advantages of the swivel keeping some of the line twist, caused by jigging, down to a minimum.

The disadvantage to the swivel is possible rod guide damage if you reel it through the guides.

Personally I use both systems.

For 2-8 lb mono I use "Micro Ice" a low stretch mono ice fishing line. The mono does not freeze up as bad as the braid but if you fish in a shelter with a heater this would not be a problem.

Good luck with your season.

latenite
12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Knot Wars ranks the modified Albright as the strongest line to leader knot.

The Bob Foran knot is easier to tie though.

Please note line connecting knots are not as strong as terminal connecting knots such as the Palomar, homer circle, Trilene. So if you go to the swivel system, as others have explained above, you get a stronger system and the advantages of the swivel keeping some of the line twist, caused by jigging, down to a minimum.

The disadvantage to the swivel is possible rod guide damage if you reel it through the guides.

Personally I use both systems.

For 2-8 lb mono I use "Micro Ice" a low stretch mono ice fishing line. The mono does not freeze up as bad as the braid but if you fish in a shelter with a heater this would not be a problem.

Good luck with your season.

I like the idea of the swivel, with the less line twist .
I like the Palomar knot myself. Been using it for years with no problems.

Marko
12-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Nobody has mentioned berkley trilene cold weather electric blue mono. I just grabbed a spool to try out for perch and whites, so I am hoping I didn't make a poor decision! Lol

Mark

Mike_W
12-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Nobody has mentioned berkley trilene cold weather electric blue mono. I just grabbed a spool to try out for perch and whites, so I am hoping I didn't make a poor decision! Lol

Mark

I like clear line

cube
12-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Mark

If you look through a number of threads you will see that there are a number of anglers here that DO NOT LIKE the blue. As mono is cheap you might want to pick up a spool of the Micro Ice or some other clear ice fishing Mono and compare them for your self.

In case you were wondering the Micro Ice is formulated for limited stretch (which can be a problem on thin Mono lines) and has a slight grey color to reduce light piping.

Have a great season