PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a power auger!

Fish-Taco
12-19-2013, 12:17 PM
So after the last couple years of doing it the old fashion way, using hand power and lots of swearing, i decided that this year i wanted a power auger but didnt wanna spend 400-600 on a new machine. I came to the conclusion that if i looked long enough and got a bit lucky i may just find what i was looking for (kinda like fishing). Well after i dont know how many hrs searching kijiji, this, and other online forums i finally found the deal i was looking for. 8" eskimo stingray s33 never drilled a hole in the ice and two years old for 250. Stealnof a deal i thougt since they are 400 new at canadian tire!

After picking up the auger, and having a goofy grin on my face all night dreaming of the endless ammout of holes i could now punch in a day, i couldnt wait to get on the ice.

The next day was go time. Loaded up the truck, fired up the auger at the house just to make sure it would start and i was off to the races. Getting to the lake i fired it up again, again to make sure it would start before it got too cold. I drug all my stuff onto the ice and found my spot of choice for that afternoon. Went to fire the auger up and she wouldnt start! I figured i just flooded it being too excited about finally not having to break my back and arms. So i set up my pop up shack and got my stuff all lined up figuring that that would take long enough for the auger to un flood itself.

With renewed vigor it was time again to fire up the auger..... PULL.... nothing.... PULL... nothing... PULL.... SNAP!!! off comes the pull cord and handle!!!

Man was i a sad panda. Many many many fowl words we spoken in the 30 seconds that followed me looking down at the handle and length of cord attatched to it in my hand and not connected to the auger.

Super pouty and cold from all the messing around i decided that it was time to go home defeated by the ice fishing gods for the day. Knowing that the ice was at least 14" thick i did not want to use ol hank the crank. Thats why i got the power auger!!

Having heard rumors ofnnot being able to re attatch the cord i was off to the local outdoors shop for advice and/or maybe a new part. Their suggestion was just as i had feared: Gotta order a new one from eskimo.... Once i got home, and being stubborn as the day is long, i decided that i wanted to have a look at it and see if i could fix it myself. Its not going to get any more broken right? Turns out is was only the cord that broke and the spring and recoil doohickey (super technical term right there) was just fine. Well i can fix that! So i got out some 550 paracord and wound it up, tied a few knots on each end and presto! Good as new! Better actually. I highly doubt ill be able to break that paracord. More than likely break the handle than anythning else.

Unfortunately i wond be able to ge on the ice till after the weekend but you can rest assured that when i finally do drill a hole it will be the most glorious day in the history of ice fishing and you will hear my screams and laughter of pure joy!

Happy fishing

Merry Christmas to all!

Richmuiz
12-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Right on good for you! When I first got on I think I had more fun pounding holes then fishing lol👍👍👍👍👍

Stinky Buffalo
12-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Haha! Awesome. Way to perservere! :D

Happy fishing!

huntsfurfish
12-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Well done!

wookie
12-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Enjoy it! Hands down the best piece of hardwater gear you could invest in.

waterninja
12-19-2013, 03:04 PM
dont you hate it when things work great at home then screw up in the field (or on the ice). hope it works good the next time.
what is this paracacord you referred to and where can you get it?

Fish-Taco
12-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Any outdoor store sells paracord braclets. I got 2 100' lengths from ebay for 12 bucks each from china. Its super handy awesome stuff. I go with 7 strand. You can take it apart and use the individual strands as needed. I love it for camping and pretty much everything outdoors related.

pickrel pat
12-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Gratz on the new auger.

Kokanee9
12-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Good for you on getting a new auger. I'm sure the first time you actually use it, you will be happy you got it.

iliketrout
12-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Congrats on your auger. I got a similar deal when I first got mine and soon, just like your old lady, you'll learn the tricks to get her going even when it's -30 out. With my jiffy if it's colder than -10 ish I need full choke and full throttle.

Thanks for the entertaining read. Hope you have a great hardwater season!

ogre
12-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Congrats on the upgrade.

Like many on here, I too have the Stingray; it's a super awesome machine. Mine is in its third year, sporting a new set of blades and some minor augmentations, still usually start on first pull. Watch out for the plastic parts, as they are the Achilles heel of an otherwise sturdy machine, which breaks rather easily. Had replaced the throttle lever, re-taped the pull handle, reattached the pull cord... minor stuff.

Did you remember to add the engine oil/fuel stabilizer? One time I did not, and it was slightly more of a challenge to start.

Ken07AOVette
12-19-2013, 11:13 PM
I keep the power head in the backseat until I get to the lake, attach it to the leg while warming up idling. Much easier than pulling 900x. I hate 2 strokes at the best of times. :sign0176:

Grayling
12-20-2013, 09:58 AM
īJust like a chain saw you full choke and give her a pull until it fires for a second......usually it will start and stop instantly......now turn off choke completely and pull her over and it will fire right up !!!!

Do not keep choking as it will flood and not start !!!

Happy drilling !! Merry Christmas !!!

e40water12
12-22-2013, 07:28 PM
:happy0034::happy0034::happy0034:

Fish-Taco
12-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will put it to good use. But only for good, never for evil :sHa_shakeshout:

lesw
12-23-2013, 05:04 PM
when she is cold giver a shot of ether. itwill hit on the first pull