PDA

View Full Version : horizontal wire worm?

happyfisher
12-20-2013, 06:18 PM
I try to make it horizontal but the worm stays at a 45 degree angle....can i just tie the line to the midsle of the worm....is there a trick or a better knot?

Thanks....

yoteblaster
12-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Are you going out tomorrow? I,ll show you on the ice

happyfisher
12-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Ill b at brownlows putting my shack on....yellow shack.....where will u be? U have a pop up? What do u look like?

yoteblaster
12-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Black chev 4x4. Black shack. Best lookin guy on the lake lol

happyfisher
12-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Just find me...dodge black yellow shack on trailor

happyfisher
12-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Im drinking...hope i make it tomorrow:bad_boys_20:

fish gunner
12-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Im drinking...hope i make it tomorrow:bad_boys_20:

Are ye a drinker or are ye a fisherman . A drinker can fish, poorly. A Fisher can drink, well

Red Bullets
12-20-2013, 10:31 PM
I try to make it horizontal but the worm stays at a 45 degree angle....can i just tie the line to the midsle of the worm....is there a trick or a better knot?

Thanks....

I have had great success using the wireworms that are wound on very small wedge shaped lead heads. The eye for the hook is on top and naturally sits horizontally. Green or yellow heads. Wrapped with copper or brass wire.

jaystev
12-20-2013, 10:54 PM
I had similar issues myself using the improved clinch knot. Then a few years back I had the privilege of taking a couple oldtimers on a trip up north. I showed them my knot and they laughed at me said i was doing it wrong. Ive been tying thier way ever since and have yet to pull a knot. Instead of passing the tag back through the loop in the line pass it back through the eye of the hook. It seems to hold the hook better IMHO.

EZM
12-20-2013, 11:35 PM
I like using a stiffer fluorocarbon leader and a palomar knot. Just tighten it up and slide the eye to a 90 degree position. It stays pretty firm.

Also prevents the odd pike from biting you off. They eat wire worms too.

jaystev
12-20-2013, 11:49 PM
I forgot to say after going through the eye then go through the loop.

Kim473
12-21-2013, 04:37 AM
Are ye a drinker or are ye a fisherman . A drinker can fish, poorly. A Fisher can drink, well

Must be a "fisher" His name is Happyfisher.

Probably just need to tie your knot tighter Happy. Or maybe the direction your line goes thru the eye. Try tieing it and change the direction 180 deg you put your line thru the eye. Pointy side of the hook must sit upwards. Not all hooks will sit completetly horizontal because of there weight. I some times tweek my hooks a little with pliers. Bend the eye a tiny bit and also the hook part, a twist or open up a little.

Bigtoad
12-21-2013, 09:51 AM
If you're doing a double rig with two wireworms I found that the top one always hangs to the side because of the line going past the shaft/eye of the hook. Now, on the top fly, I'll tie it with a long tag end the length I want the flies to be apart, then after I've tied the top fly knot, I'll pass the tag end through the eye of that hook and then tie on the bottom hook. Passing the tag end through the eye of the top fly lets it hang perfectly horizontal and it isn't twisted to the side.

Cheers.

huntsfurfish
12-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Ok, how bout tying the wire on a small size 8 or so 90 degree bend jig hook.:)
If weight is needed a small split shot can be added a couple feet up the line.

huntsfurfish
12-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Ok, how bout tying the wire on a small size 8 or so 90 degree bend jig hook.:)
If weight is needed a small split shot can be added a couple feet up the line.

That would be a bare jig hook by the way.

deanstroyer
12-21-2013, 06:54 PM
personally i hate wire worms, they are too light for my liking, for a easy horizontal presentation try rapala jigging minnows,

happyfisher
12-21-2013, 10:43 PM
i put my shack out there....fished a bit....got the worm pretty horizontal....but i was waaaayyy to hung over....ill be out again next week.....there is lots of weeds where i am...not sure if thats good or not.....

happy

Gslice
12-21-2013, 11:15 PM
I found that pure weed is never good. Find areas with muld/silt + patches of weeds.

tbh, I've had lots of luck with a 45 deg wireworm (although I should note that it should be hanging freely, ie. the bottom most hook on the line, and not a 45deg hanging hook somewhere in the middle). Normally if i jig it correctly, I can get them to take the 45 deg hook. Dare I even say, I slay more whites on the 45deg hook than the 90deg hook at times.

kinwahkly
12-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Was out today also at Brown lows , great fishing

happyfisher
12-22-2013, 04:13 PM
hey kin.....u wernt out on the west side like last year....? i only caught 1 last year there so im now at brownlows....yello shack.....

come say hi....ill be there on the 27th!!!

kinwahkly
12-22-2013, 04:39 PM
I was last year, was my first trip this year to Gull and wasn't sure of the snow and driving conditions on West lake rd, so I decided to check out Brown lows and and had a great morning.how was youre day? We're you there today?

happyfisher
12-22-2013, 05:08 PM
my buddy was in the shack...i wasnt.....