PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing for Walleye

Chris5672
12-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Hey guys and gals I want to plan a ice fishing trip to a lake where I could get into some good eyes, looking for some bigger eyes like the 6lb range or bigger just catch and release, but I don't know where to start I've fished most lakes around Grande Prairie and area but haven't found anything of size just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction
Thanks for any info

huntsfurfish
12-20-2013, 08:03 PM
We all would be interested in that answer.

binnzer32
12-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Not sure for arOund gp. But winifred, lac la biche, battle, cold lake and gull lake all have them

Chris5672
12-20-2013, 08:16 PM
How about calling lake I've been thinking on going there just don't know much about the lake so just waiting til I can drive on

bcacoutdoors
12-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Calling lake would be your best bet.

Chris5672
12-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Does calling have good access to the lake ?

binnzer32
12-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Never fished it , but I can't see it being better than lac la biche. I know there are some tanks in calling though. In llb would say my average walleye is 4-5

Chris5672
12-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Anyone have any ice conditions for these lakes mention above

elk eater
12-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Calling can be tough fishing in the winter. Been a few times with mixed results. Seen some petty big pressure ridges out there. Scary crossing them be careful. Also went in February once an auger was just long enough. If u go later take an extension. Had good success off the boat launch in summer also volkswagen point to the left quite a ways is supposed to be good although I've never caught there In winter.

bcacoutdoors
12-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Anyone have any ice conditions for these lakes mention above

Went skidooing on lac la biche during week it has lots of flood water this year

Kurt505
12-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Calling lake isn't what it used to be, and hard water fishing for walleye can be tough there. I've had my best luck in 3'-6' of water with a silver and chartreuse Swedish jig tipped off with a minnow. If it's just catch and release I would think pigeon lake would be a better bet, but I have never fished it so I can't honestly tell you.

rcales
12-21-2013, 09:02 AM
We did calling a couple years ago for 2 days..... big bowl shaped lake without a lot of structure wasn't the best fishing. The eyes appear to be starving, big heads skinny bodies. If you haven't noticed the fishing is pretty tough anywhere in alberta within a 2 hour radius of edmonton or calgary. I would suggest if you are seriously looking for decent fish. Pack up and head east.
Slave is probably one of the best lakes in alberta, you have as good a chance as anywhere fishing there

Gboe8
12-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Rock island. Never ice fished it but we catch lots of big walleye in the summer and hardly see anyone else on the lake.

Dacotensis
12-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Rock island. Never ice fished it but we catch lots of big walleye in the summer and hardly see anyone else on the lake.

That's gonna change I bet. :thinking-006:

binnzer32
12-21-2013, 10:59 AM
If you read above he said 6lbs plus... that would be nearly impossible to do at Pigeon Lake, or Slave Lake. Like I said earlier, Lac La Biche, or Cold Lake if you can find them.... Slave does have some big ones, but not consistant from what I Hear, every once and a while might get a pig, but usually 1-3 range. pigeon is same . I have caught a whack at pigeon and south buck lake and still haven't broken the 4lb mark. Mind you I am honest with my weights...

Drewski Canuck
12-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Calling is fine in front of the town site. Basically from the tower to Sucker Creek. 3 - 10 FOW, at first and last light.

If you want bigger fish, try a lake with little summer pressure, .... like Orloff for instance. Sleds only, a bigger lake, little pressure. There have been some great eyes caught at Utikima and Utikimasis, and if you have the bucks and a plane, why not try Bistcho by High Level.

Once in a while a good eye is caught in Slave, so don't discount that one either.

The chance at a 6 + walleye also exists at Wolf, Pinehurst, Elinor ....

As for Rock Island, a lot of nets in the spring and winter. Yes, walleye are good size, but the netting pressure is pretty bad. All the same, some huge whites and Pike taken in those nets.

Drewski

Chris5672
12-21-2013, 11:19 AM
I've fished slave lots but my biggest is 5lbs, I've fished cold lake and still yet to find any eyes going to try it again this winter, any one have any tips or tricks to find these eyes at cold lake

binnzer32
12-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I wish I knew Pal. I am trying to get a bucket list 10lber this year. Best of luck man.. Winifred, also has some tanks, need a sled and stay at grist though, Thanks for the info drewski, you seem to know your stuff. Happy Holidays.

Chris5672
12-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, Merry Christmas everyone

lesw
12-21-2013, 02:20 PM
wab. is good for the eyes. calling is definitely not what is was but still a few decent eyes left. same with pigeon. fawcett has a lot of small eyes. almost like big perch. Wabash is still decent for the eyes