PDA

View Full Version : The Gull lake, wire worm, White fish thread

Marlin07
12-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Is it just me or has the popularity of fishing for white fish really increased?

My parents live at Gull and say it's really busy compared to other years. Nice thing is its a big lake and most people stick to known (less productive) spots and they lowered the limits a little but still allow a harvest. Fishing should remain good for years now on come seeing as the summer doesn't see much fishing pressure.

On the bright side I'm seeing less where to go for 15" perch threads. Haven't read one "I have a 5 year old who wants to go for perch, can anyone tell me where to go?" questions.

Red Bullets
12-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Is it just me or has the popularity of fishing for white fish really increased?

My parents live at Gull and say it's really busy compared to other years. Nice thing is its a big lake and most people stick to known (less productive) spots and they lowered the limits a little but still allow a harvest. Fishing should remain good for years now on come seeing as the summer doesn't see much fishing pressure.

On the bright side I'm seeing less where to go for 15" perch threads. Haven't read one "I have a 5 year old who wants to go for perch, can anyone tell me where to go?" questions.

Oddly enough, before the 1960's, locally, people barely hand fished for whites. They relied on the commercial netters for their whites.

kinwahkly
12-22-2013, 03:44 PM
I was out today and landed over 10 whites and a couple of perch. Kept 3 nice ones and threw the rest back. I use my own hand made wire worms and flys.

trophy brown
12-22-2013, 11:00 PM
gull lake fish yields have gone down from what I hear. Not a personal observation, just repeating what I hear from the old guys.

Tyangelo
12-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Be a tough one to agree with....I remember going out as a kid with my grandfather and father, and they slayed em every time. Limit was 10 each back then I would think. I'd be lucky if I even caught 1...

Fishing is still hot in my opinion, but I think a lot of the pressure/popularity has increased in certain locations, almost entirely due to how easy it is for a novice fisherman to hit up the internet and read up on what might be productive at the current time, and where to go.

Just a result of current technology, really.

I'm totally satisfied with the stiffer limit of 3 fish a piece at Gull. Sure, it'd be nice to keep more, but it keeps me coming back...

Kim473
12-24-2013, 04:49 AM
I think the limit of three is good. I can usually catch only one per outting. LOL Think there are lots in there, just have to find the correct hook on the right day. Have seen lots every time i have ventured there.

1bluZebec
12-24-2013, 10:01 AM
I think the limit of three is good. I can usually catch only one per outting. LOL Think there are lots in there, just have to find the correct hook on the right day. Have seen lots every time i have ventured there.

x2 me too. never ever raked them in. usually only one and once we caught our limit. cant wait to go back and keep trying to get it figured out:sHa_shakeshout:

Mike_W
12-24-2013, 10:34 AM
I like the 3 fish limit ... More than enough fish for me and my wife ... Usually two meals!
Whites are just fun to catch!

Marlin07
12-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Should have been 3 years ago. Gonna hit the lake on boxing day and see how it goes. :sHa_shakeshout: