PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy 30.... 10" Auger

Jiffy 30.... 10" Auger
02-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Finally gave up trying to break in the auger .
The service centre in Calgary , told me that
there was abunch of these with faulty carbs .
I have seen several postings on boards about
having to do weird things like prime while running .
Give up and take it in and get it fixed before
warranty runs out TL

u try the mixture screws?
02-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I had to adjust mine and it works like a charm. If on warranty take it in for sure. Does this affect the strikemaster and eskimos that use same engine?

Jiffy 10" Auger re carb
02-06-2007, 05:04 PM
They told me some of these need new carbs ,

I did fiddle with the low and high speed screws

didnt seem to have any effect ...

Id rather have the warranty centre play with

it keep the warranty up.....

lethalconnection
02-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Hmm i know i got a Jiffy 30 8" and it runs fine. Guess i got lucky.

jiffy 30 8"
02-07-2007, 08:25 AM
I have mine for 2 yrs now and it is finally breaking nicely. Starts great, runs great I guess I got lucky also.

Jiffy Augers
02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I have owned several Jiffy augers over the years
and they all worked 100% out of the box , except
this one , the last two years these augers or the
tecumseh motor has a carb that has to meet EPA.
standards in the USA . If you go on US fishing boards there is a lot of talk about these problems in the Northern US. Now it has been suggested other makes are just as good as the Jiffy , not if you want to drive
a 10" screw , you need that 3 hp. so you have to put up with the weight .
And as we all know the size of your hole indicates
your optimism as to the size of your fish.
Bigger is better ask your better half....TL

Ryanlookingforperch
02-07-2007, 03:25 PM
I have had to replace my pull start three times this season

This is the first season I have owned it...maybe it's time for a stronger rope...

other than that runs great

Ryan

Prdtrgttr
02-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Hey Tightlines, my Jiffy Legend, Model 31 was doing the same thing, it was like it wouldn't open up all the way. It ran fine, but just wouldn't hit that hi speed. I got to looking at it, and the air governor, which is attached to your throttle and fits under the tank and points up into the housing, was rubbing against the inside of the housing. I bent it out a little, it's no longer rubbing, and now I can really "crank" on it. I wonder if more guys had this problem?

Ryanlookingforperch
02-14-2007, 04:09 PM
I had mine out on calling yesterday.

I think it was around -20c or so at the start of the day. The thing just would not start and keep running. Kept stalling out. This common at -20 and beyond?

I am going to be leaving the thing in the truck on the way out from here on in, but that would be a pain in the long run, to have to take it apart all day on cold days.

Any tips/things I might be able to do...I certainly am not a small engines repairman...any words of wisdom would be appreciated

Good luck

Ryan

Jiffy 30.... 10 "
02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
So as it turns out the reason my carb wasnt working

was that it had a crack in the carb body , so no amt.

of fiddling and setting would make it run properly.

The service guys in Calgary have told me they are

seeing more than a normal amt. of new jiffys in there

So I would surmise that Feldmans ( Jiffy ) are having

a dilemna with those tecumseh motors .

I will start it up tomorrow to make sure all is well before I go to the lake ....

stalling auger
02-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Try running it with1/4 choke until it warms up, 1-2 mins or so.This seems to work for me, sometimes I have to leave the choke at this setting to drill. This is with an older Jiffy 30 8 inch.If I try to drill to soon it just stalls out. Good luck,Buck.

Ryanlookingforperch
02-14-2007, 06:11 PM
thanks for all the tips.

It's gonna be warm tomorrow, think I will be goign to gull. never been there. Hope I can sort out the adjustments, ect.

good luck all

Ryan

jiffy 30 final installment .... I hope
02-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Started the Jiffy today , just back from service
new carb all set up . started on second pull ,
idled nicely , blade turned at 500 RPM.
adjusted that , revs like crazy ,
turned off , started again first pull .

Fish look out !!!! :lol

BAR Z6 RANCH
02-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Took my brand new jiffy for its first workout and was not impressed to say the least. It run well at home in my shop where it was warm but when I tried it out on the lake it was just like you have stated on theother posts, I could not keep it running while I was in the process of drilling a hole It would run for a little bit at high rev then just quite like it was vapor locked. The vent was open( even tried with gas cap off no luck. I ended up drilling for about 15 seconds and quickly prime it 3-4 times before it stalled go for another 15 seconds and prime it again until I would finally get the hole drilled. I live 2 hours east of Edmonton and was wondering if there is a warranty depot in our area? My children got me the auger for xmas and I took the first one back to Canadian Tire because it would't even idle. So I had high hopes for this one when I got it home after all it ran great in my shop. but in the cold no luck. So I am thinking its better to take in for warranty and get it running right verus going and getting another new one and still have the same problems especially if so many of the brand new ones are not working right out of the box

Cal
02-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey ryan, do you store your auger indoors or in a heated place? Condesation build up when you take it out into the cold can cause issues, I always keep mine in a shed outside and it has no problem with the cold, that 1/4 choke tip is good as well. And about the pull ropes thing, dont yank it all the way out as hard as you can. Hitting the end of that rope with a bunch of steam will deffinatly wear out recoils fast.

pikekalk
02-19-2009, 09:17 PM
been using this tas since 1986 and have yet to experience what u hole drillers are....i think tas in japanese means..start..warm up..and drill holes all day...all season....for decades......do u buy a jiffy so u can cut a 10 inch hole?.....why?....buy tanaka.....