PDA

View Full Version : best bullets for the 30-06

mh_3000
09-27-2008, 02:32 PM
i have a remmington model 710 30-06 and im shooting speer 165 gr boat tails and last week i shot a muldeer doe it dropped it in its tracks but my dad found the bullet and it was only 1/4 of the bullet it was all "flaky" is there any other make or type of bullet still in the 165gr non polly bullets that keep it from getting "flaky" and no keeping together?

i need them so they dont fall apart we going through the animal

Big Foot
09-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Hello MH 3000:
If you are a handloader you have many options for 165 gr 30:06 bullets but they will cost you more money, almost double.
Nolser make a 165 gr in both partitions or accubond bullets. I have had very good sucess with the partitions in both the .270 Win and the 30:06. Hornady, Swift and Barnes all make good bullets in .30 cal.
Good Luck,
Big Foot

bobinthesky
09-29-2008, 09:05 AM
John Nosler once said something to the effect of "If the deer dropped in it's tracks, then at what point did the bullet fail to do it's job?"

I hunted with Speer bullets for many years, along with all the other "non-premium" bullets such as Sierra Game kings, Nosler boat tails and Hornady spire points, and generally speaking, the bullets always came apart, especially when they hit bone, but they always killed the animal that I shot with them too. The 30-06 dosn't really generate enough velocity to warrant a heavily constructed bullet but it wouldn't hurt to switch to something like a nosler partition or a Speer Grand Slam. They're a double cavity bullet in which the softer nose section will wipe away at slow velocities and the harder, second cavity will stay intact for more penetration even at high velocity. I think they'e a good choice for 30-06 speeds.

joshtar
10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi mh, I'm also trying to find a better bullet.

I spent a few seasons using 165gr nosler partitions, but I disliked the extra-large exit wound. This year I decided to go with 165gr Barnes TSX and am very happy with what happened to the deer in my freezer.

Nice-sized exit hole, and lung soup in the cavity. Constant blood trail for 30 feet. First time I've ever had a deer move more than an inch, but I think I'll get used to it.