PDA

View Full Version : Gull Report #2 and neat lil' whitefish strike video...

Tyangelo
12-23-2013, 01:25 AM
Hit up Spot X again, (heheh), on Saturday AM, right at dawn. Literally caught the first white in under 3 seconds, and limited out myself in under 15 mins. Took a friend of mine out, who has never been before, and helped her land her limit in under an hour, once she had the technique down. On the lake at 9 AM, and by 10 AM we had our our 6 fish. :sHa_shakeshout:

Stayed until noon, and between the 2 of us, landed 25 whites in total, and 2 small perch. No pike, walleye or burbs seen... which was a little disappointing...

ICE: 11" total. 8" of good solid black ice, the rest white. Access to lake front is a little easier, but still 4X4 only. I personally would still not drive on yet, but I'm guessing it should be safe by around mid-late January.

BONUS: I did manage to capture a whitefish strike on camera, so definitely check out the video. Kinda neat.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152130040265833&l=1127952339889158416

(Anyone can view the link btw, you don't need a facebook account)

BeeGuy
12-23-2013, 01:40 AM
Access from iPhone says I have to log in

Sounds like a wicked day on the ice.

Tyangelo
12-23-2013, 01:44 AM
I'll see if I can redo it with youtube here...

Tyangelo
12-23-2013, 01:59 AM
NEW link:

video quality was degraded, but you get the idea...heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZryJWgCda8

GTZ
12-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Nice work man, Spot-X produces again!

fatboyz
12-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Anybody driving trucks on or just quads and sleds?

yoteblaster
12-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Many,many trucks driving on.

harrydude
12-23-2013, 08:46 AM
How was the ice thickness and flood water

yoteblaster
12-23-2013, 08:58 AM
No flood water where I fish. Ice is 14 inches where I am at,south end of lake. Been out 8 times and drilled lots of holes checking ice thickness before I proceed.

harrydude
12-23-2013, 09:02 AM
No flood water where I fish. Ice is 14 inches where I am at,south end of lake. Been out 8 times and drilled lots of holes checking ice thickness before I proceed.

Yes drill test holes

jkind
12-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi Tyson

I went to Brownlows on Saturday (easier to drive on there) and drove north of shanty town.

First time out so I forgot my chair :sign0161: , dropped an ice anchor down the hole :angry3: and found out I should have bought the larger Mr. Heater for my 6 man tent. :thinking-006:

11 feet of water and a pike on the camera as soon as I put it down...that pike stole 2 minnows and never came back...perch were very picky but I landed a 9" one on wire worm and maggot. I was jigging a small 5 of diamonds when a whitefish came into view and he seemed very excited and bouncing around...he shot over to the other hole and nailed my wire worm (first whitefish of the season).

A little while later my camera started moving on its own...next thing I see is a large burbot try to eat my camera so I bring up my little 5 of diamonds real quick and hook on a couple of minnows and start jigging then the fight was on!

He looked like my personal best burbot (his head was almost the size of my 8" hole) but of course in my impatience and excitement I lost him with his head sticking out of my hole :mad0100: he broke my 12lb fluorocarbon.

All in all a great first day and made my mom happy with the first whitefish of the season!

Plan on trying spot x before the week is out.

Jim

EZM
12-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi Tyson

I went to Brownlows on Saturday (easier to drive on there) and drove north of shanty town.

First time out so I forgot my chair :sign0161: , dropped an ice anchor down the hole :angry3: and found out I should have bought the larger Mr. Heater for my 6 man tent. :thinking-006:

11 feet of water and a pike on the camera as soon as I put it down...that pike stole 2 minnows and never came back...perch were very picky but I landed a 9" one on wire worm and maggot. I was jigging a small 5 of diamonds when a whitefish came into view and he seemed very excited and bouncing around...he shot over to the other hole and nailed my wire worm (first whitefish of the season).

A little while later my camera started moving on its own...next thing I see is a large burbot try to eat my camera so I bring up my little 5 of diamonds real quick and hook on a couple of minnows and start jigging then the fight was on!

He looked like my personal best burbot (his head was almost the size of my 8" hole) but of course in my impatience and excitement I lost him with his head sticking out of my hole :mad0100: he broke my 12lb fluorocarbon.

All in all a great first day and made my mom happy with the first whitefish of the season!

Plan on trying spot x before the week is out.

Jim

Cool story .......... sounds like fun ......... we might get out there right before new years and try catching a few ourselves. Should be fun.

huntsfurfish
12-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Well done, nice to see em on video.