PDA

View Full Version : Lower Chain, Athabasca area

stubblejumper01
12-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Hit Chain this morning. There was a group of 3 guys just leaving who said they caught a bunch by the swimming area. Another guy was there, said he caught 44, kept 4. They were all walking out and said there was about 10 " of ice. I asked about flood water and they said they never saw any.
I decided to take my snowmobile and sled and try for some favorite spots. Started heading to the point on the left side of launch. Got about halfway there and felt it bogging, water was coming up in the tracks. Swung around and tried closer to shore but came upon an open hole from a spring. Turned back and fished the other guys holes.
Caught 27 brought 5 home for my neighbour whose health doesn't let him get out anymore. Was on lake for about 4 hours. They were biting on mealworms, maggots, half a dew worm and power bait.
I love this lake, with a tent you can see them coming to at least 15' deep. There were lots swimming around. After awhile you have to pull it away from the little guys. It was a great start to my ice fishing season.

baptiste_moose
12-24-2013, 09:03 PM
I've caught tons of fish outta that lake. Fun to catch, not to eat. I smoke them cause they're very muddy!

stubblejumper01
12-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Yeah I don't usually eat any,I just bring some for the neighbour. It's kind of my Xmas tradition to start my ice fishing season there. It's good for the old ego to have that kind of action