PDA

View Full Version : Ghost lake fishing.

CraigRosgen
12-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Went out to ghost lake today. Ice thickness ranged from roughly 10 to 14 inches. Fished from 11:00 am to 2:30 pm. Used a small green vertical jig with a meal worm with a red blood worm imitation 20" up the line. Fished south of the bridge by the marina for an hour before moving to the to the mouth of the bay/arm thigy by ghost lake village. Fished about 8 to 25 fow with no success. May have been because of the flourscent orange braided line I was using. Going to try with a clear leader next time to see if that makes a difference. Going to try Pine coulee reservoir tomorrow and will write about it. O am familiar with pine coulee and this was my first time at ghost so hopefully I'll be more successful

BeeGuy
12-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Went out to ghost lake today. Ice thickness ranged from roughly 10 to 14 inches. Fished from 11:00 am to 2:30 pm. Used a small green vertical jig with a meal worm with a red blood worm imitation 20" up the line. Fished south of the bridge by the marina for an hour before moving to the to the mouth of the bay/arm thigy by ghost lake village. Fished about 8 to 25 fow with no success. May have been because of the flourscent orange braided line I was using. Going to try with a clear leader next time to see if that makes a difference. Going to try Pine coulee reservoir tomorrow and will write about it. O am familiar with pine coulee and this was my first time at ghost so hopefully I'll be more successful

The trick to ghost is local knowledge in my opinion.

Right place.
Right time.
Right species
and right tactic.

Chisholm77
12-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Was anyone driving on the lake yet?

CraigRosgen
12-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Was anyone driving on the lake yet?

Yeah one guy I saw was sitting in his suv fishing out the window. :P Lots of trucks dragging shacks around on the ice.

TROLLER
12-27-2013, 09:40 AM

To quote someone from years ago.

GO WEST YOUNG MAN GO WEST.

mayuan
12-27-2013, 10:55 AM
You can go where you want..... No fish in ghost.

denpacc
12-27-2013, 12:31 PM
X2 with what BeeGuy said, but the trick is to find someone who will tell you:

Right place.
Right time.
Right species
and right tactic.

I haven't found that person yet.

SCHOOCH
12-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Yup some guys excel at that lake..........i'm not 1 of them!!!!!! I do look forward to seeing some of the catches the Ghost Gurus post hopefully soon, gives me hope if i ever do try it again that i will start to figure that place out...live and learn!!!!!!

denpacc
12-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Truth be told, even the seasoned veterans of the lake get skunked often.

AdverseCity
12-27-2013, 04:35 PM
I've fished Ghost once last winter and twice this summer, skunked all three times. I went last friday and caught a 13" burbot just as we were packing up. Not much of a fish but I was pretty excited to finally get something out of Ghost.

Best advice I've heard is to use a flasher/fish finder to locate them (easier said than done) and use a 4" white tube jig and/or smelt. You can always ask people who are out there fishing for advice, bring a thermos of coffee and a bottle of Bailey's for the best results.

Walleye99
12-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Fish the entire water column

mayuan
12-27-2013, 05:54 PM
The trick to ghost is local knowledge in my opinion.

Right place.
Right time.
Right species
and right tactic.

Bee is correct, you will find that the people on ghost are able to catch only a couple types of fish. I have been unable to catch whites on Ghost, but rarely get skunked. That said, for 2yrs I didn't catch a single fish. People can tell you how to fish Ghost, but until you catch them you will never know how. Takes about 3yrs of steady fishing on Ghost to figure out how to catch one species.

The only advise I can give is that the Ghost fish are over active feeders with a large abundance of food. Once you get a fishes attention it can take more the an hour to get them to bite. Makes perfect sense don't it, Eh!

RRED88
12-28-2013, 10:33 AM
The key to Ghost is having patients out there. I have friends that keep and eye on there line or jig all the time and nothing, I never look at my line and I always get fish.