PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep 5whites(SYLVAN)+3whites(GULL)

eightdoor
12-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Can I keep 5 lake whites at SYLVAN lake + 3 whites at GULL lake =8 whites???(in one day)

binnzer32
12-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Don't think so

deanmc
12-27-2013, 06:35 PM
:thinking-006:
Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:

Trout and Arctic Grayling – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
2 Arctic grayling;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout.

Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
Northern Pike – 3 in total.
Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
Lake Sturgeon – 0
Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.

bwackwabbit
12-27-2013, 06:50 PM
This of course assumes you have none @ home in the Freezer/Smoker as they count towards your ten. So 8 is a go!!!

coors04
12-27-2013, 07:17 PM
No. Why do you need to keep 8 fish in a day. Don't be so greedy and enjoy the sport. It's your kind of attitude that is destroying some of the lakes in Alberta and why so many of them are closed to keeping walleye. You also can't bring any kids that are not able to land there own fish so you can keep there limit also. If your goal is to kill as many fish as possible to eat through the winter/ save money then I suggest you get ready to face reality. Fishing in alberta is a sport that's why they are called sport fish. These fish are in are lakes reproducing naturally and are there to be caught for sport with enough for everyone to bring home a couple for dinner. If you feel the need to kill kill kill I suggest you look at what lakes are stocked by are government and keep your daily limit there. Don't drive to two or more lakes and try keeping you limit in all of them. SHARE.

Rant over.

Sorry if its harsh. Even if your just wondering think about it first and say to yourself do I really need to go to two different lakes and bring home 8 fish

Ken07AOVette
12-27-2013, 07:31 PM
I hope you have your fireproof underwear on coors. Some of us eat fish, we aren't all c&r killers.

If We drive 3 hours to fish and limit out in half an hour what's the issue with going to another lake?

bwackwabbit
12-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Not everyone goes fishing 20 times a month or keeps fish on every outing. Some may only go or keep fish once or twice a season.

Is there really a need to assume someone is a fish murdering glutton based on a simple question?

BeeGuy
12-27-2013, 07:39 PM
No. Why do you need to keep 8 fish in a day. Don't be so greedy and enjoy the sport. It's your kind of attitude that is destroying some of the lakes in Alberta and why so many of them are closed to keeping walleye. You also can't bring any kids that are not able to land there own fish so you can keep there limit also. If your goal is to kill as many fish as possible to eat through the winter/ save money then I suggest you get ready to face reality. Fishing in alberta is a sport that's why they are called sport fish. These fish are in are lakes reproducing naturally and are there to be caught for sport with enough for everyone to bring home a couple for dinner. If you feel the need to kill kill kill I suggest you look at what lakes are stocked by are government and keep your daily limit there. Don't drive to two or more lakes and try keeping you limit in all of them. SHARE.

Rant over.

Sorry if its harsh. Even if your just wondering think about it first and say to yourself do I really need to go to two different lakes and bring home 8 fish

Feel better?

boonedocks
12-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks got your long winded opinion coors! Some of us fish every weekend ( maybe much more) and release almost all of our catch!, but if we feel like taking our limit of whitefish ( or any other species) for the smoker, we damn well will! See you on the ice!

MoFugger21
12-27-2013, 07:45 PM

Rant over.

Hilarious

BeeGuy
12-27-2013, 07:51 PM
how dare you harvest fish!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh:angry3::angry3::angry3::angry3:

Gust
12-27-2013, 08:01 PM

Rant over.

Sounds like someone got a lump of coal this Christmas,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Which, btw, if you coat the coal with wax and put it in your ice hole, it will keep your hole open,,,, maybe not in your case, but worth a try.

binnzer32
12-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Sounds like someone has whitefish envy.... buy some wireless bud and get your own. Pipe down.

Rant over

Nait Hadya
12-27-2013, 08:24 PM
This of course assumes you have none @ home in the Freezer/Smoker as they count towards your ten. So 8 is a go!!!

Huh?

How far through the digestive tract does the fish have to be before I can continue fishing....LOL

bwackwabbit
12-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Huh?

How far through the digestive tract does the fish have to be before I can continue fishing....LOL :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Brilliant...

rapalaman
12-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Far enough that it comes out the other end!!! But don't chew A lot that way when F&W ask about it you can still have proof of species!! Lol

BBKiller
12-27-2013, 08:46 PM
No you legally can't Do that.

From the regs

Daily Possession
The number of fish you are allowed to keep while fishing in one day is equal to the limit listed for each species or group of species at the lake or stream being fished, including any fish eaten or given away that day.
When you are fishing at any lake or stream, you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished.

bwackwabbit
12-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Might wanna grab a copy of the Regs for bathroom reading. "Possession limit" includes all fish in your possession, not just on the lake.

coors04
12-27-2013, 08:50 PM
I drive 3 hours also. If you limit out in 30 min then you got what you came for feel free to leave if you can't C&R. Stop trying to extract as much as you can I'm sure your the first to bitch when they shut a lake down lake Newell for example used to have great fishing till it got **** kicked. Also I have worked in fisheries in alberta and bc it's amazing what they do to fish and they survive. They put it to sleep as a fry stab it in the face and leave a wire tag in its nose very little die. They cut off its left or right upper jaw plate and 3-4 years later they come back. The people that say half of the fish that are C&R due and WRONG hell they even put brood trout to sleep in give them a needle and the live on and at the right time of year that can happen once a week until they are ripe. I have caught trout with treble spinners in the mouth healed over so don't tell me C&R fishermen kill more then lake hoppers

I hope you have your fireproof underwear on coors. Some of us eat fish, we aren't all c&r killers.

If We drive 3 hours to fish and limit out in half an hour what's the issue with going to another lake?

BBKiller
12-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Might wanna grab a copy of the Regs for bathroom reading. "Possession limit" includes all fish in your possession, not just on the lake.
I am Very aware what the Provincial Possession limit means.

You Might want to read the regs. As they clearly state you can't be in possession of more fish then the daily quota for the lake your are currently fishing even if they came from a different lake.

If you have 5 fish from Lake "A" and the daily possession limit on Lake "B" is 5. You can not have more then 5 fish in your possession while fishing that lake even if they came from Lake "A".

Now if Lake "B" has a daily possession limit of 10 and you are still under your Provincial Possession limit you could keep 5 more.

wildman
12-27-2013, 08:55 PM
NOPE!!! CAN'T DO THAT!!
quote from fish in regs;
"you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished."
the closest you can do is get 3 at gull and then 2 more at sylvan.

coors04
12-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Feel free to take you limit I do sometime also. But I don't keep my limit at one lake and leave to go get another limit on another on the same day. It's commen sense if you want to keep 5 whites go to sylvan. If you want a chance at some bigger whites at gull but the limit is only 3 then go to gull. Don't go to sylvan and take 5 whites and then drive to gull to take 3 more. That almost like asking if you can shoot 3 deer in each zone

Thanks got your long winded opinion coors! Some of us fish every weekend ( maybe much more) and release almost all of our catch!, but if we feel like taking our limit of whitefish ( or any other species) for the smoker, we damn well will! See you on the ice!

bwackwabbit
12-27-2013, 09:00 PM
You Might want to read the regs. As they clearly state you can't be in possession of more fish then the daily quota for the lake your are currently fishing even if they came from a different lake.

If you have 5 fish from Lake "A" and the daily possession limit on Lake "B" is 5. You can not have more then 5 fish in your possession while fishing that lake even if they came from Lake "A".

"Trip Possession
The number of fish of each species you may possess at the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is equal to a 1 day limit for the water body fished and includes fish stored at home."

This would seem to indicate that he can in fact keep 8 if he so chooses as long as he does not have them all in his possession when he moves to another lake?

BBKiller
12-27-2013, 09:03 PM
"Trip Possession
The number of fish of each species you may possess at the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is equal to a 1 day limit for the water body fished and includes fish stored at home."

This would seem to indicate that he can in fact keep 8 if he so chooses as long as he does not have them all in his possession when he moves to another lake?

Yes you are correct. He would have to take Fish caught home before heading to another Lake.

Also has to make sure that you are under the Provincial Max Possession including fish you may already have at home.

pickrel pat
12-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Feel free to take you limit I do sometime also. But I don't keep my limit at one lake and leave to go get another limit on another on the same day. It's commen sense if you want to keep 5 whites go to sylvan. If you want a chance at some bigger whites at gull but the limit is only 3 then go to gull. Don't go to sylvan and take 5 whites and then drive to gull to take 3 more. That almost like asking if you can shoot 3 deer in each zone

I see your point but who does more harm.... The local oldtimer that lives on the lake and takes a fish home every day or the city guy who gets out once a year and hits 2 lakes in one day?

bwackwabbit
12-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Yes you are correct. He would have to take Fish caught home before heading to another Lake.

Agreed.

coors04
12-27-2013, 09:14 PM
I see your point and really don't know how to answer that. The nice thing is chances are the old timer is eating his fish if he's only keeping one or two a day where some people that keep lots end up letting the get freezer burned. I guess what gets me ticked off is that if people could go to two different lakes and take there limit twice they would be asking if they could go to three lakes. I enjoy keeping whites and pike in the winter but don't understand the NEED to go to multiple lakes to keep multiple limits. I understand it may have been just an honest ( just wondering question ) but we should all be happy with just getting are limit weather it's 3 or 5 and being thankful that we were able to catch are limit instead of trying to figure out how to get more.

I see your point but who does more harm.... The local oldtimer that lives on the lake and takes a fish home every day or the city guy who gets out once a year and hits 2 lakes in one day?

BeeGuy
12-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Who cares how many lakes he goes to?

I can hardly see any difference between you and the guy you're criticizing.

My bet is you harvest more fish than him.

So, what is the real issue here?

coors04
12-27-2013, 09:23 PM
You can go to as many lakes as you want. YOU CAN'T KEEP YOUR LIMIT AT EACH OF THEM ON THE SAME DAY. It's not about how many fish you take in a year it's about trying to take them all in one day. Anyone who thinks they will save money by going fishing hasn't fished very long

Who cares how many lakes he goes to?

I can hardly see any difference between you and the guy you're criticizing.

My bet is you harvest more fish than him.

So, what is the real issue here?

pickrel pat
12-27-2013, 09:38 PM
You can go to as many lakes as you want. YOU CAN'T KEEP YOUR LIMIT AT EACH OF THEM ON THE SAME DAY. It's not about how many fish you take in a year it's about trying to take them all in one day. Anyone who thinks they will save money by going fishing hasn't fished very long

As stated earlier, some people dont have the time or money to get out more than once a year and are just trying to make the most of it. Nothing illegal or immoral here to see. Unless the fish are brought from lake x to lake y.

coors04
12-27-2013, 09:54 PM
So your telling me a guy who doesn't have time or money wants to know if he limits out on lake x if he drives home ( which must not be close if you only get out twice a year ) to drop off your limit you can then drive to another lake ( which I assume must be further then the first or why wouldn't he go there first ) to get his limit again and then go home again. All for a few fish that could be purchased at a local store for way less money. Seems like they have lots of time and money. Is it legal. Sure only cause they can't prove anything but is it needed not likely. What's wrong with getting your limit and just enjoying the rest of the day. Maybe he should get everyone else's limit for them I meant they all spent the money to go fishing for the day what's the difference if they catch the fish or someone else does. Everyone only has there legal limit right?

As stated earlier, some people dont have the time or money to get out more than once a year and are just trying to make the most of it. Nothing illegal or immoral here to see. Unless the fish are brought from lake x to lake y.

tight line
12-27-2013, 10:00 PM
After cleaning my 3 Whites from Gull. Watching a boring battle of Alberta. And reading this...I think i need another COORS!

deanmc
12-27-2013, 10:02 PM
So your telling me a guy who doesn't have time or money wants to know if he limits out on lake x if he drives home ( which must not be close if you only get out twice a year ) to drop off your limit you can then drive to another lake ( which I assume must be further then the first or why wouldn't he go there first ) to get his limit again and then go home again. All for a few fish that could be purchased at a local store for way less money. Seems like they have lots of time and money. Is it legal. Sure only cause they can't prove anything but is it needed not likely. What's wrong with getting your limit and just enjoying the rest of the day. Maybe he should get everyone else's limit for them I meant they all spent the money to go fishing for the day what's the difference if they catch the fish or someone else does. Everyone only has there legal limit right?

Tldr

BeeGuy
12-27-2013, 10:16 PM

Why don't you take a knee and read the regs?

Gslice
12-27-2013, 10:20 PM

Rant over.

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Besides. I'm not sure if you've ever seen the size of sylvan lake whites. They are half the size of the ones you catch at gull or mcgregor, and thus half the protein content. You also don't know how many mouths he's got to feed. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :D

pickrel pat
12-27-2013, 10:26 PM

Well since this is all made up scenarios anyways.....here goes...... He was with his wife and kids fishing and they got cold. So the wife and kids bailed in the 84 crown vic(they are poor) and went home taking the fish with them. Now.....
We will call our poor fisherman Wilbur. Wilbur didnt want to waste one of the few days off that mcdonalds gives him so he figured he would jump in his 88 ford ranger(hes poor) and stop in at a lake on the way home that hes always wanted to check out. Low and behold he catches and retains 3 more whitefish. Hes happy he got out fishing and has a couple meals for the family.
Oh ya.... He broke down on the way home but luckily for him he broke down close to a cousin of his who happened to be mechanically inclined and got him going in no time. Oh ya again.....on the way back he spotted a shed fire and noticed a kitten struggling to get out and pulled over and saved his....or maybe it was a her, i dont remember.....life

pickrel pat
12-27-2013, 10:28 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:.

coors04
12-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Did fish and game catch the wife and kid who had 15 whites with them. Or did the poor guy get skunked on the first lake??

QUOTE=pickrel pat;2256557]Well since this is all made up scenarios anyways.....here goes...... He was with his wife and kids fishing and they got cold. So the wife and kids bailed in the 84 crown vic(they are poor) and went home taking the fish with them. Now.....
We will call our poor fisherman Wilbur. Wilbur didnt want to waste one of the few days off that mcdonalds gives him so he figured he would jump in his 88 ford ranger(hes poor) and stop in at a lake on the way home that hes always wanted to check out. Low and behold he catches and retains 3 more whitefish. Hes happy he got out fishing and has a couple meals for the family.
Oh ya.... He broke down on the way home but luckily for him he broke down close to a cousin of his who happened to be mechanically inclined and got him going in no time. Oh ya again.....on the way back he spotted a shed fire and noticed a kitten struggling to get out and pulled over and saved his....or maybe it was a her, i dont remember.....life[/QUOTE]

pickrel pat
12-27-2013, 10:38 PM
did fish and game catch the wife and kid who had 15 whites with them. Or did the poor guy get skunked on the first lake??

He was the only one fishing. The wife and daughters were to girly girly and dont enjoy it. He even signed a note so they could transport the fish home.

Quote=pickrel pat;2256557]well since this is all made up scenarios anyways.....here goes...... He was with his wife and kids fishing and they got cold. So the wife and kids bailed in the 84 crown vic(they are poor) and went home taking the fish with them. Now.....
We will call our poor fisherman wilbur. Wilbur didnt want to waste one of the few days off that mcdonalds gives him so he figured he would jump in his 88 ford ranger(hes poor) and stop in at a lake on the way home that hes always wanted to check out. Low and behold he catches and retains 3 more whitefish. Hes happy he got out fishing and has a couple meals for the family.
Oh ya.... He broke down on the way home but luckily for him he broke down close to a cousin of his who happened to be mechanically inclined and got him going in no time. Oh ya again.....on the way back he spotted a shed fire and noticed a kitten struggling to get out and pulled over and saved his....or maybe it was a her, i dont remember.....life[/quote]

Gslice
12-27-2013, 10:38 PM
All for a few fish that could be purchased at a local store for way less money.

I beg to differ. Show me where I can purchase Lake whitefish in any of the supermarkets in Calgary. The look on the kid's face who works at superstore when I asked him where I can buy some lake whitefish meat was priceless.

coors04
12-27-2013, 10:44 PM
I thought I saw it is supper store but I could be wrong. White fish was stocked in theses lakes to be commercially fished and is fished in some I believe. So it should be in stores but I'm not 100% sure.

I beg to differ. Show me where I can purchase Lake whitefish in any of the supermarkets in Calgary. The look on the kid's face who works at superstore when I asked him where I can buy some lake whitefish meat was priceless.

coors04
12-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Still cant write noted and take your limit in the same day. It's plane and simple. Don't abuse the system cause if you do we will have another sylvan lake walleye problem. What's it been closed for now 10 years ( just a guess ) but I know then have stocked millions ( ya millions ) of walleye trying to get them to come back. A good source of jobs not really but it's a great waste of fisheries and gov money that could be better used elsewhere. This kind of thinking is the reason we have limits. I don't care how poor you are it's cheaper to go to the store. Go fishing for a some family meals great. Don't go to fill the freezers under the impression your saving money

coors04
12-27-2013, 10:55 PM
In a couple more years the question will be if they can go to sylvan keep 3 and go to gull and keep 1. There's a reason gull is down to 3

Gslice
12-27-2013, 11:25 PM
like you said, lake whitefish is stocked for the purpose of commercial fishing. In order for it to be a commercial fish, it must be sustainable, meaning they hit sexual maturity at an earlier age. Most fish that gets preyed on thrive on their strong reproductive abilities.
I personally don't keep my daily limits anymore after tasting how bad freezer burnt whitefish meat was (even though on an average day I would catch twice my daily limit). I highly doubt a select few individuals who chooses to keep whitefish out of 2 lakes is going to make a dent in their populations.

Sounds to me like you are lazy and Sylvan/Gull are your 2 go-to lakes for whites. If that's the case, I suggest you explore elsewhere like McGregor/Travers. Despite what several members in this forum may think, McGregor is crawling with them. Just have to know where to look.

Gust
12-27-2013, 11:26 PM
I love fishing at the store, the drive to the parking lot to pick a nice place to wedge the car,, then the hike to the cart coral (always worth a few pic's or a POV with the go-pro),, ahhhh, then the fresh cool air and wind when the doors slide open and I even like it when kids get to push the cart for their parents and bash me in the Achilles Heel, I mean one has to expect some danger when on the hunt for fish,,, then it's off to the monger corner where I poise myself over the floor freezer, and it takes a bit of reading structure of the lay as that trophy might just be below a half opened tray of filleted squid or nestled between an oily Atlantic or a twice frozen pink (but I can't give away all my secrets just yet),, I do take a break to enjoy my surroundings and talk to the locals with the exact same surname on their little name tags.

Yes!!! it is this and more why I like buying fish over getting it through a hole, outside, with a view of the mountains, while sipping on a good cup of tea and listening to old fishing stories with my Dad, and eating a fish straight from the hole to the pan,, or not a fish at all.

I'd rather spend $500 a month or a thousand on fishing adventures for a few fish or none with my Dad than a hundred fish for a quarter of the price.

BeeGuy
12-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Good work on the analogy gust.

This thread is a pathetic chronicle of one man's misguided loathing of his peers, for enjoying those things he enjoys himself.

Coors is gross anyways.

huntsfurfish
12-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Gee, good thing the OP didn't keep a limit of walleye, pike, perch and burbs the same day!

Oh, the humanity.

AppleJax
12-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Couple banquets to clean this many fish...
Edit: Not from Sylvan or Gull, sustainable commercial caught fish from last winter :sHa_shakeshout:

Don K
12-28-2013, 09:41 AM

Rant over.

Agreed. To much pressure, not enough lakes...

MoFugger21
12-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Couple banquets to clean this many fish...
Edit: Not from Sylvan or Gull, sustainable commercial caught fish from last winter :sHa_shakeshout:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mQn_Zhbi9gg/TUoiim0kz5I/AAAAAAAACXk/v2fgkywvkbU/s1600/hugemanatee_original.jpg

muskokagould
12-28-2013, 06:41 PM
I hope you know more about fishing than your do about beer COORS, lol
I bet you got a nice pink rod too! hahaha

had to:sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
12-28-2013, 07:24 PM
I love fishing at the store, the drive to the parking lot to pick a nice place to wedge the car,, then the hike to the cart coral (always worth a few pic's or a POV with the go-pro),, ahhhh, then the fresh cool air and wind when the doors slide open and I even like it when kids get to push the cart for their parents and bash me in the Achilles Heel, I mean one has to expect some danger when on the hunt for fish,,, then it's off to the monger corner where I poise myself over the floor freezer, and it takes a bit of reading structure of the lay as that trophy might just be below a half opened tray of filleted squid or nestled between an oily Atlantic or a twice frozen pink (but I can't give away all my secrets just yet),, I do take a break to enjoy my surroundings and talk to the locals with the exact same surname on their little name tags.

Yes!!! it is this and more why I like buying fish over getting it through a hole, outside, with a view of the mountains, while sipping on a good cup of tea and listening to old fishing stories with my Dad, and eating a fish straight from the hole to the pan,, or not a fish at all.

I'd rather spend $500 a month or a thousand on fishing adventures for a few fish or none with my Dad than a hundred fish for a quarter of the price.

thinking about it, the fish Ive eaten this year work out to about 600 bucks apiece. the adventures, priceless! :sHa_shakeshout:

catnthehat
12-28-2013, 07:28 PM
I drive 3 hours also. If you limit out in 30 min then you got what you came for feel free to leave if you can't C&R. Stop trying to extract as much as you can I'm sure your the first to bitch when they shut a lake down lake Newell for example used to have great fishing till it got **** kicked. Also I have worked in fisheries in alberta and bc it's amazing what they do to fish and they survive. They put it to sleep as a fry stab it in the face and leave a wire tag in its nose very little die. They cut off its left or right upper jaw plate and 3-4 years later they come back. The people that say half of the fish that are C&R due and WRONG hell they even put brood trout to sleep in give them a needle and the live on and at the right time of year that can happen once a week until they are ripe. I have caught trout with treble spinners in the mouth healed over so don't tell me C&R fishermen kill more then lake hoppers
You're ranting again.:thinking-006:
Cat

eightdoor
12-30-2013, 10:05 AM
My friend make a phone call to wildlife calgary office today,get the answer:

you can go to GULL LAKE(keep 3Whites)and goto SYLVAN LAKE ,keep another 5Whites.

Thanks all my friends.

Happy New Year!

catnthehat
12-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Well since this is all made up scenarios anyways.....here goes...... He was with his wife and kids fishing and they got cold. So the wife and kids bailed in the 84 crown vic(they are poor) and went home taking the fish with them. Now.....
Oh ya.... He broke down on the way home but luckily for him he broke down close to a cousin of his who happened to be mechanically inclined and got him going in no time. Oh ya again.....on the way back he spotted a shed fire and noticed a kitten struggling to get out and pulled over and saved his....or maybe it was a her, i dont remember.....life

Wilbur's always getting into chit , ain't he!!:thinking-006:
Cat

huntinglover
12-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Not everyone goes fishing 20 times a month or keeps fish on every outing. Some may only go or keep fish once or twice a season.

Is there really a need to assume someone is a fish murdering glutton based on a simple question?

u have ur right to catch n release, we have our right to keep as much as fish under the law. Donot judge people, just answer question if u want to help!

Icatchfish
12-30-2013, 11:52 AM
2013, I've gone out over 30 times got skunked twice and kept only 1 fish all year.
I realized a long time ago that if keeping less fish means I can go fishing more often.

regs say your limit includes what you have in your fridge. I don't blame you for not reading the regs though. why would you even bother all you gotta do is go down to a store and just buy a license. Fish cops are never too few to catch poachers. I seen 3 in 2012 and 1 in 2013 poachers rarely get caught

lakes closer to town are always over fished and now we have to drive an hour or two each way to find a good lake because of practices like that.

practice catch and release. keep your limit whenever you feel like it, but please make use of the fish you harvest. do your part and save the sport.

waterninja
12-30-2013, 01:44 PM
all i will add to this thread is that i'm glad i live close to the nsr.
it is getting tougher to simply drive out to a lake near edm. for an enjoyable day outing. all the lakes are under pressure form anglers, algea blooms and winter kills. have to drive further and further for some good fishing, though wab. is always fun, and i still have a few good lake x's i go to.

in 2014 i intend to catch my first sturgeon in the nsr.

bwackwabbit
12-30-2013, 04:42 PM
u have ur right to catch n release, we have our right to keep as much as fish under the law. Donot judge people, just answer question if u want to help!

If you would have taken the time to ACTUALLY read the thread you would have seen that I defended everyone's right to do just that. I was also one of the first to answer his question (correctly I might add).

I offered no judgement and chided those that did. So in future please ensure your comments are reflective of my actions.

huntinglover
12-30-2013, 07:23 PM
If you would have taken the time to ACTUALLY read the thread you would have seen that I defended everyone's right to do just that. I was also one of the first to answer his question (correctly I might add).

I offered no judgement and chided those that did. So in future please ensure your comments are reflective of my actions.

sorry, what i mean is i agree with u

bwackwabbit
12-30-2013, 07:38 PM
sorry, what i mean is i agree with u

Ahh sorry I misunderstood. All is forgiven.
I owe you a beer.

Zip-in-Z
12-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Ahh sorry I misunderstood. All is forgiven.
I owe you a beer.

The Sylvan Lake Legion has Richards Red on Tap @ $3.50 pint/during happy hour .... why do I know this ... I'm a member & work there, too!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/partytime2.gif .... http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/man_in_love.gif ..... http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif ... bwackwabbit's buyin ... Happy New Year!

Zip-Z

Xiph0id
12-30-2013, 09:30 PM
I don't always fish....
But when I do I keep the MAXIMUM

CanadianBadass
12-31-2013, 11:29 AM
all i will add to this thread is that i'm glad i live close to the nsr.
it is getting tougher to simply drive out to a lake near edm. for an enjoyable day outing. all the lakes are under pressure form anglers, algea blooms and winter kills. have to drive further and further for some good fishing, though wab. is always fun, and i still have a few good lake x's i go to.

in 2014 i intend to catch my first sturgeon in the nsr.

Hey man, I 100% agree, Screw the lakes, Hit the river !

LOl,

QIsley
12-31-2013, 06:28 PM
My friend make a phone call to wildlife calgary office today,get the answer:

you can go to GULL LAKE(keep 3Whites)and goto SYLVAN LAKE ,keep another 5Whites.

From the Alberta Fisheries Regulations
Possession Limits

17. (1) No person shall possess more fish of a species than the daily quota determined under subsection 16(1) for that species for the waters in which the person is fishing.

So, you could go to Gull Lake and catch and retain 3 whitefish.

Gull Lake
Apr. 1 to May 14 and Nov. 1 to Dec. 10 – CLOSED
May 15 to Oct. 31 and Dec. 11 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 3; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).

Then you could go to Sylvan and catch and retain two (2) whitefish at which time you would be at your limit as per section 17 above.

Sylvan Lake & tributaries – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 5; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 - Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).

If you went to Sylvan first and caught and retained five you would not be able to go fish at Gull because you would be two (2) fish over your possession limit.

Q

WayneChristie
12-31-2013, 06:34 PM
thanks for clearing that up. too many people with different interpretations of the regs. now we know

ULTRAlite
12-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Possession Limits

17. (1) No person shall possess more fish of a species than the daily quota determined under subsection 16(1) for that species for the waters in which the person is fishing.

Gull Lake
May 15 to Oct. 31 and Dec. 11 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 3; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).

Then you could go to Sylvan and catch and retain two (2) whitefish at which time you would be at your limit as per section 17 above.

Sylvan Lake & tributaries – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 5; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 - Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).

If you went to Sylvan first and caught and retained five you would not be able to go fish at Gull because you would be two (2) fish over your possession limit.

Q

That's certainly the way that I've always understood it to be... and your post certainly makes it crystal clear. For me it was perch possession limits that I was worried about :)

eightdoor
01-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Possession Limits

Gull Lake

Q

Yes,you are right!!!

WayneChristie
01-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Yes,you are right!!!

he should be right Hes the guy who will be giving you the ticket if you mess up :bad_boys_20:

Mike_W
01-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Possession Limits

Gull Lake

Q

Would you not be allowed to catch both limits provided you went to your place of residence and dropped off your catch between lakes?

Another example might be say I am fishing calling lake and catch my single walleye then go back to the cabin and drop off the walleye before going to orloff could I not legally catch a walleye at each lake as long as neither fish accompanies me from the other lake?

QIsley
01-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Well since the Fisheries Act does not define possession the next step is to check the Criminal Code which defines possession as:

Possession

(3) For the purposes of this Act,

(a) a person has anything in possession when he has it in his personal possession or knowingly

(i) has it in the actual possession or custody of another person, or

(ii) has it in any place, whether or not that place belongs to or is occupied by him, for the use or benefit of himself or of another person; and

(b) where one of two or more persons, with the knowledge and consent of the rest, has anything in his custody or possession, it shall be deemed to be in the custody and possession of each and all of them.

So the definition of possession combined with section 17, I think that according to the law it would not be legal since you would be in possession of more fish then the limit for that waterbody, even if the fish were not at the lake you were fishing, but in your possession at a different location.

Looper
01-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Would you not be allowed to catch both limits provided you went to your place of residence and dropped off your catch between lakes?

Another example might be say I am fishing calling lake and catch my single walleye then go back to the cabin and drop off the walleye before going to orloff could I not legally catch a walleye at each lake as long as neither fish accompanies me from the other lake?

What would be the point of a Province wide maximum limit of 10 Lake Whitefish is you could only have the limit from any particular lake in your possession?

Catch your limit at Lake A but don't take them with you to Lake B if you intend to keep your limit from that Lake as well. Drop them off at home then go to Lake B and keep your limit. Just don't exceed 10 in total with what you have at home and what you have with you, or in "your possession"

That's how I interpret it.

Looper

Bigdad013
01-05-2014, 08:51 AM
What would be the point of a Province wide maximum limit of 10 Lake Whitefish is you could only have the limit from any particular lake in your possession?

Catch your limit at Lake A but don't take them with you to Lake B if you intend to keep your limit from that Lake as well. Drop them off at home then go to Lake B and keep your limit. Just don't exceed 10 in total with what you have at home and what you have with you, or in "your possession"

That's how I interpret it.

Looper
x2

I stand corrected from my previous posts, F&W called me back on Friday and told me exactly this, they must be dropped off before hitting the next lake.

Smokey
01-05-2014, 11:11 AM

Rant over.

Its an honest question. I haven't kept a fish in Alberta in 6 years but won't make a fuss at honest question. Your treating him like he is doing something morally irresponsible by asking a question. Maybe the gent is getting out once in a blue moon or is from a place where the limits and regs are different. I think you should consider an apology.