PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Mines & Beauvais Lake Dec 27

Evil69
12-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Wind be damned I headed south to Beaver Mines today.
Up bright an early at 5:30 and on my way by 6. I saw 65 km winds forecast but figured with the snow storm moving in tonight the fishing should be hot. As soon as I went through Longview I started to question my decision. Strong crosswinds blew my poor little Tacoma all over the road and I almost pulled into chain lakes and set up....but I had visions of chunky rainbows and the chain lakes bows just wouldn't cut the mustard today. So on I drove, and a white knuckle drive it was.

I finally reached my destination as the sun was coming up. I met up with my partner and there was only one guy on the lake. The wind was blowing about 15km. Awesome, I can fish this.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=84103&d=1388197140

We set up a little farther out near one of the outcroppings and found a spot with 15-20 ft water. The ice was good with 2 inches white and 8-10 inches clear. I dropped the first line at 5 ft and before I could get the other one down I had a very colorful 10" Bow:) I released it and set the second line at 2 ft off bottom.

From the time we got there it was fish after fish. There were very delicate bites and I probably missed more than I got. As the day progressed the wind got worse and more and more people showed up. One fool blew past us on a quad (Which I thought were not allowed in Prov parks) and found myself wishing he would go through the ice. It's a small lake, do you really need to quad to the middle? Anyway back to fishing....by 11am the winds were gusting 70km and there were 25+ people on the lake...most huddled into the little bay left of the boat launch. Some seemed to be catching a few little ones but there wasn't a lot of action in the heard. My partner grew tired of fighting the wind so we grabbed our gear, took 5 bows for him and headed to the lot.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=84104&stc=1&d=1388197293
My Partner was done so he took his catch and headed home, I however was not done and decided to hit Beauvais.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=84106&stc=1&d=1388197293
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=84107&stc=1&d=1388197293

I arrived at Beauvais around noon and was immediately excited to see only one other fisherman and no wind...ok well maybe 10 km but compared to Beaver Mines it was down right tropical. The sun was shinning and I headed out to start drilling holes. The ice was slick and I wish I had brought my cleats. My first hole was 100 yards out from the boat launch and my heart skipped a beat when my auger punched through after only a few inches. In all there was 2 inches of white and 3 inches of clear. This ain't good. I headed back towards the launch and drilled another one...this time I had 2 white and 6 clear...much better.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=84108&stc=1&d=1388197293

I got both my rods set up and waited about 10 minutes until I saw action. I was a little discouraged but when I pulled up the first Bow and it was back to business. The action would come in waves and the fish were very aggressive. No subtleties here. One even tried to take my rod down the hole. I was having the time of my life and caught and released approx 30+ Rainbows in the 1-2 lb range. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=84110&stc=1&d=1388197293

At about 3pm something huge hit my line...I hooked it and it stripped off 20 yards of line before I knew it. I managed to get it to the hole and was stunned to see the size of it... 7-10 lbs...I'm gonna need a bigger hole I thought to myself. As I went to pull it through my hook went straight and it was gone. Damn! But wait a second. It had white tips on it's fins and looked an awful lot like a Lake Trout. Ok now I'm confused, I didn't think there were lakers here? :huh: Maybe someone here can shed a light on this mystery fish. I've fished Lakers many times before and I'm 99% sure it was a laker...same markings and shape.

I stayed on the ice until 4 and called it a day. I kept 3 nice ones for my dinner and packed up and headed home.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=84109&stc=1&d=1388197293

WayneChristie
12-27-2013, 07:41 PM
They used to stock Beauvais with big brood browns, dont know if they still do, maybe thats what you had? or maybe there was a laker, stranger things have happened.

ArtVandelay
12-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the report Evil - I'm headed that way next week. I wonder why such little ice? I was at Butchers over a week ago and there was a solid 16".

It must be true what they say about an oncoming cold front. I was rainbow fishing today also and it got better and better as the day progressed. I'd love to have a day pike fishing like that.

Scott N
12-27-2013, 07:49 PM
They used to stock Beauvais with big brood browns, dont know if they still do, maybe thats what you had? or maybe there was a laker, stranger things have happened.

X2 on the brood trout. I caught one over 8 pounds (rainbow) in Beaver Mines Lake a few years ago.

Evil69
12-27-2013, 07:54 PM
My first thought was Brown but the color was wrong, there were also spots on the head and the tail was forked....

missingtwo
12-27-2013, 07:55 PM
maybe a bull trout????

Evil69
12-27-2013, 09:02 PM
For the two "Don't publish good fishing spots" PM Trolls.

From the Forum rules above..
"This message board is for the sharing of information among hunters, anglers and trappers."

If you don't like me posting info and pics of my trips then DON"T read my threads.:angry3: I post my success so others will also be successful....it's called "sharing" you should try it sometime.

regarding the fish....yes it's possible it was a bull but the white tips were very pronounced

MoFugger21
12-27-2013, 09:24 PM

"This message board is for the sharing of information among hunters, anglers and trappers."

If you don't like me posting info and pics of my trips then DON"T read my threads.:angry3: I post my success so others will also be successful....it's called "sharing" you should try it sometime.

regarding the fish....yes it's possible it was a bull but the white tips were very pronounced

Lol. Good for you! Ignore them!

Nice pics and report as well! Thanks!

Scott N
12-27-2013, 09:31 PM

X2. Anyone who thinks Beauvais or Beaver Mines are secret honey holes probably haven't been fishing for very long. Thanks for the original report!

Wes_G
12-27-2013, 10:17 PM
I have never heard of bulls in Beauvais. I have got them in beaver mines though.

Beaver mines is not a provincial park. You still cannot have quads in there though and even though it is enforced in the summer, quad owners seem to forget about that law come winter time.. Just because its winter still doesn't mean you can have quads in a provincial recreation area!!

Fishfinder
12-28-2013, 07:27 AM

X2 haha!
I've made an annual trip to the area every summer for bout 5 or so yrs, soooo nice. From my xp, talking to many locals, and researching on the ol AOF, my conclusions are that Beaver mines has ample small Bows and the odd bigger one, and though I've never seen any, there are Bulls in there that seem to be easier to catch in the winter as opposed to summer months. But is a rarity to catch them.
Beauvais, which I've fished much less but have been fishing more the last couple yrs, has ample small Bows with some bigger ones to be had, and Browns that get to the 5# range. The browns are much rarer. I have yet to catch one but have seen them caught.
Have never heard of Lakers in either lake.....but ya never know I suppose. Guess you'll just have to go back and catch her again to find out eh...shucks:)
Neither lakes are secrets. Every summer when I go, generally both lakes shorelines are filled with fisherfolk, and from what I've seen a lot of fish go home with the fisherman.

Thx for sharing. Nice pics!:)

Eddy62
12-28-2013, 07:48 AM

txs evil 69 for your post and pics I don't fish too much anymore and when all you anglers post I rather enjoy..................later:sHa_shakeshout:

Kokaneeranger
12-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Awesome report. Thanks

owlhoot
12-28-2013, 09:45 AM
I saw open water one time in the middle of winter off the boat launch at Beauvais. That was years ago.

fishunt
12-28-2013, 10:27 AM
nice story, great pics. gotta luv southern AB wind, ice cleats @anchors a must! LOL :sign0176:

geezer55
12-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Beaver mines is not a provincial park. You still cannot have quads in there though and even though it is enforced in the summer, quad owners seem to forget about that law come winter time.. Just because its winter still doesn't mean you can have quads in a provincial recreation area!!

You CAN ride quads in and out of Beaver Mines Recreation Area as long as you are camped there, this also goes for Castle Bridge Recreation Area.

mickeyjim
12-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Why is everybody so up in arms about quads, people and everything else? People have quads and ride them, where's the issue? People ice fish and it may be a little close for your liking, but hey, you could just talk to them? Seems like a lot of people on here are out to get people and not just enjoy their company. Just one guys take though

Tabers Best
12-28-2013, 08:57 PM
It couldnot have been a big sucker in Beauvis??

Ranger CS
12-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Yes indeed, it probably was. The lake is full of them.
Do not tell Evil, he is still trying to figure it out.

Wes_G
12-28-2013, 11:30 PM
You CAN ride quads in and out of Beaver Mines Recreation Area as long as you are camped there, this also goes for Castle Bridge Recreation Area.

Actually you can't, there is a big no OHV sign right at the cattle guard. You are not even allowed to be driving them on the gravel road, just across it. Are you one of the many that still do anyway? probably need to read up on the regulations.

Scott N
12-29-2013, 01:55 AM
We saw a guy get a ticket from SRD last year for riding a quad on Beaver Mines Lake.

geezer55
12-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post

Actually you can't, there is a big no OHV sign right at the cattle guard. You are not even allowed to be driving them on the gravel road, just across it. Are you one of the many that still do anyway? probably need to read up on the regulations.

Seen the sign and have ridden there plenty of times, but before I did I checked with the campground operator about if we could ride in and out plus what the rules are. They told me yes you can but here are the rules:
1-to ride in and out of Beaver Mines you must be camping there.
2-you have to camp in the Forestry Loop or the loop that overlooks the entire campground, you can't camp in the two lake loops then ride in and out.
3-you have to ride directly from your camping spot to the forestry and directly from the forestry to your camping spot, NO cruising the campground.
4-you must keep to the speed limit.
On returning from one of our rides we were followed back to our campsite by a Fish and Wildlife officer, after we were parked he came over and checked our insurance and registration, seeing everything was in order he wished us a good day and went on his way. Don't know what would have happened if we hadn't been camping there.

BPman
12-29-2013, 05:25 PM
The white on the fins suggest strongly that the big guy was a char: meaning brookie, laker or bull. Brookies don't have noticably forked tails so that leaves two possibilities. The reference to "spots on the head" is something I've never noticed on a bull or laker...so maybe a hybrid of some sort? If so and it was sterile, as many hybrids are, that might account for it's large size...just a thought.

drhook
12-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Seen the sign and have ridden there plenty of times, but before I did I checked with the campground operator about if we could ride in and out plus what the rules are. They told me yes you can but here are the rules:
2-you have to camp in the Forestry Loop or the loop that overlooks the entire campground, you can't camp in the two lake loops then ride in and out.
3-you have to ride directly from your camping spot to the forestry and directly from the forestry to your camping spot, NO cruising the campground.
On returning from one of our rides we were followed back to our campsite by a Fish and Wildlife officer, after we were parked he came over and checked our insurance and registration, seeing everything was in order he wished us a good day and went on his way. Don't know what would have happened if we hadn't been camping there.

Was this in 2013? July Long they said no quading in or out of the campground regardless of the loop you're in.

jackrabbit000
12-29-2013, 07:31 PM
txs evil 69 for your post and pics I don't fish too much anymore and when all you anglers post I rather enjoy..................later:sHa_shakeshout:

Goes for me too, Thanks Evil69. Enjoy reading the stories and looking at the pics. I can't remember the last time I was out ice fishing.

JustBen
12-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Great pictures! I'm going to have to head out there sometime soon!

Evil69
12-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Yes indeed, it probably was. The lake is full of them.
Do not tell Evil, he is still trying to figure it out.

Oh look it's the AO Troll...Nice to see you graduate from harassing me in PM's to threads. Your a pathetic old man.

Evil69
12-30-2013, 11:22 AM
The white on the fins suggest strongly that the big guy was a char: meaning brookie, laker or bull. Brookies don't have noticably forked tails so that leaves two possibilities. The reference to "spots on the head" is something I've never noticed on a bull or laker...so maybe a hybrid of some sort? If so and it was sterile, as many hybrids are, that might account for it's large size...just a thought.

The F&W officer I spoke with yesterday suggested the same thing(Hybrid). He did say there have been reports of small lakers being caught from time to time but none of that size. Whatever it was it's got me wanting to go back and try again. Maybe after my next turnaround:)

Wes_G
12-30-2013, 06:51 PM

Would you like me to post the links to the government pages regarding off highway vehicles use on roads, as well as to the government pages regarding the campground where it even says no loading, unloading or use of OHV's in the campground? Why would there be a big sign right as you cross the cattle guard then? I have also been standing there fishing when a CO pulled over people on quads coming into the campground saying they weren't allowed in there. He was probably being nice to you seen as you were already camped there.