PDA

View Full Version : Strikemaster Honda 35cc Ice auger

chiefmanywords
12-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Was just wondering if anyone has purchased 1 of these ice augers and how you like it. Going to buy a new auger, after my TML auger has given up after about 35 years. Any information much appreciated. Thank you in advance. Chief

Hooter
01-06-2014, 02:38 PM
I've had my eye on one of these as well. I'd like to get some info from Alberta users on their reliability before I drop $700.

TROLLER
01-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Reliability is not a question. It is a Honda.

With the 4 stroker it is also a lot lighter than the older ones and a lot easier to handle for older guys like myself.

wellpastcold
01-06-2014, 04:05 PM
I owned a Strikemaster 2 stroke for many years with 0 issues. I can't see how you could go wrong putting a Honda 4 stroke on a proven platform.

Off in the Bushes
01-06-2014, 04:28 PM
I've had my eye on one of these as well. I'd like to get some info from Alberta users on their reliability before I drop $700.

$599 Canadian Tire this week.

Darkwalleye
01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
I own every ice auger I picked up the honda last year it runs amazing very easy to start when its cold always runs not losing power or dying while in the middle of a hole. It drilled at a great speed for 35cc but it still has its faults I was hoping this to be my baby and use it for all ice fishing but that was the problem it has to be treated like a baby.

I have had throtle problems if left in the back of the truck uncovered it seems to freeze wide open or getting slush anywhere near the throttle. As for the cutting blades they cut rather then chip like a jiffy so you can't bang it down into the hole to try and break the ice off when it wont drill. They bend pretty easy and even replacing them wont fix it because the pitch becomes bent on the auger itself.

SCRUB
01-06-2014, 10:44 PM
I bought one last season and it is great i haven't had any issues with mine but i also built a storage box that i store the power head in so that it doesn't get damaged. Cuts way faster than my 3hp jiffy did. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of torque that this unit has. I would recommend to anyone looking at buying new auger.

ruttnbuckcojack
01-07-2014, 05:31 AM
Who in alberta has the 10" 4 stroke

JohnnyD
01-07-2014, 09:23 AM
My friend has a Honda Lite 10". It is a really nice auger. Super quiet when compared with the ear defying clack of a 2 stroke. We were up on Cold Lake this past weekend and had no issues drilling through 2-3 feet of ice. The auger has power right to the bottom of the hole and doesn't bog down. Only issue we have found so far is issues with cold weather. The power head doesn't like temperatures below -10. Could be as simple as pouring gas line antifreeze into the tank to resolve this issue. Almost seems like the fuel line is too small. The engine will start and idle in the cold but seems starved for gas at full throttle in cold temperatures. Thats all the information I have for now. Hope it helps!

kcward
04-06-2014, 03:15 PM
I Just bought one yesterday and tried it out....a little late for your post, but I am happy so far. Might not be as fast as my old TML, but it could just be that the TML made more noise so it seems faster. TML is still going strong, but thought it was time for a new one. Picked it up at Prime time in Grande Prairie for $456 incl tax! I noticed that the gas line is very small and it is resting on the small hose clamp. I will have to turn the clamp so it is not touching, as it will eventually wear through the hose. Won't get a chance to try it in the colder temps, but starts and purrs like a kitten. Lots of low-end tourque. My TML would bog down at the end of the hole or in rotten ice, but this thing just powers thru! got 32 years out of the TML, prob won't need 30 out of this one - that would put me close to 80! Ya never know?
So, did you buy the Strike/Honda?

chiefmanywords
04-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Yes, I did buy it but only got to use it a couple of times but so far I'm very impressed with it, it starts and cuts great.

boonedocks
04-06-2014, 05:24 PM
I've been having idle issues with mine, needs to warm up for a long time but then it drills like crazy!

kcward
04-06-2014, 05:58 PM
I noticed pressure in the gas tank a couple of times. There is no valve, so I wasn't sure if it would pressure up and when I cracked it open it had pressure. I usually wait 30 seconds to a minute and she is good to go! Must be the way they are tweaked from the factory.

AppleJax
04-06-2014, 09:08 PM
I own every ice auger I picked up the honda last year it runs amazing very easy to start when its cold always runs not losing power or dying while in the middle of a hole. It drilled at a great speed for 35cc but it still has its faults I was hoping this to be my baby and use it for all ice fishing but that was the problem it has to be treated like a baby.

I have had throtle problems if left in the back of the truck uncovered it seems to freeze wide open or getting slush anywhere near the throttle. As for the cutting blades they cut rather then chip like a jiffy so you can't bang it down into the hole to try and break the ice off when it wont drill. They bend pretty easy and even replacing them wont fix it because the pitch becomes bent on the auger itself.

Wow you must have really banged that thing to throw out the auger! My ice auger uses the same Mora attachment as the Strikemaster, new blades and good as new!

The Honda auger would be a sweet machine, if I was looking for an auger I would seriously consider it.

TROLLER
04-08-2014, 11:20 AM
I had one and I repeat had one.

A touch of a bend and does not matter if you replace the blades or not it is not going to cut. Nothing but huge issues with the auger, had it to Stu at Propmaster trying to get the auger corrected and nothing we did would help.

Finally gave up and bought a propane. When the Strike master was working it drilled great but you really have to baby them for sure.

Been there done that will never go back