PDA

View Full Version : Great Hermitage Park Pond Action - Video Report

Brandonkop
12-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Fishing Hermitage Park Pond for Rainbow Trout under the ice is always something I like to try. This is late in the season for these rainbows and sometimes they aren't very active as the oxygen levels in the lake fall. I got out to the lake around sunrise although it was cloudy so I didn't see it. I wasn't getting any hits in a usual spot so I moved across the pond to another spot. Right around noon I had the first hit on the Jaw Jacker and lost him at the hole. Lowered back down and soon had a nice 16 inch rainbow. I underestimated in the video at 14 inches. After that the bites were on and off. But must have had 15 fish on the line and hits on the Jaw Jacker but only ended up getting four on the ice. Lost a few due to broken line and others at the ice. It was a lot of fun. Check out the video for all the details and how you can catch more fish at Hermitage Park pond. Get out there before they winterkill. The action was fast and furious in the afternoon. Here is a tip I was fishing in 10 to 13 fow and the fish were from mid water to the ice. So the top 5 feet of the water column. Go get em! And take the kids. On a side note three other groups were out and nobody caught any fish. So please do use light line, small flies and bait with small pieces of meal worm if you want success. I saw people out there with black curly leaders... trout aren't going to take that stuff.

Check out the video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb7AQhQ_z-Q
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/herm1.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/herm1.jpg.html)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/herm3.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/herm3.jpg.html)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/herm2.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/herm2.jpg.html)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/herm4.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/herm4.jpg.html)

dopemop
12-30-2013, 02:23 AM
I'm convinced. I think I am going to get one. what do they run? How do they work with light bites?

Brandonkop
12-30-2013, 02:32 AM
I'm convinced. I think I am going to get one. what do they run? How do they work with light bites?

I'm not sure how much they will be for you I think around 40 bucks. They work super well on the lite bites. The trigger mechanism is super sensitive. If you're missing strikes watch my Jaw Jacker mod video, allows them to take the bait a little better before the hook set. I'm very impressed. I used to use tip downs ans would see the rod tipping in the stand but by the time I got there the fish had dropped the bait and was gone. Now the jaw jacker sets the hook and most of the time the fish is still on the line when i get there. Works great for trout, grayling and lake trout so far. Hope to try it out on some other species.

dopemop
12-30-2013, 03:15 AM
Thanks Brandon.. I'm Subscribed on your YouTube if your ever in
Calgary Invite me!

last minute
12-30-2013, 05:13 AM
Love the video thanks for sharing.

Geezle
12-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Were you in a black 1 man tent by chance?

boonedocks
12-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Where would I purchase a jaw jacker in the Edmonton area?! Thx

Brandonkop
12-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Where would I purchase a jaw jacker in the Edmonton area?! Thx I'm not sure where you can get them in Edmonton. I'm not even sure if you can yet. I'd ask Cabela's or Fishing Hole or Wholesale that they should bring them into the stores if you're interested. Maybe if a bunch of people ask they'll think about it. I had to purchase mine online on their website. But then you are stuck paying shipping and taxes when it crosses the boarder.

Were you in a black 1 man tent by chance?
Nope I don't fish in tents, too restrictive. There was another guy out there in a black tent. Did you see the video, I'm not in a tent.

boonedocks
12-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Thx , checking cabelas now !

Geezle
12-30-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure where you can get them in Edmonton. I'm not even sure if you can yet. I'd ask Cabela's or Fishing Hole or Wholesale that they should bring them into the stores if you're interested. Maybe if a bunch of people ask they'll think about it. I had to purchase mine online on their website. But then you are stuck paying shipping and taxes when it crosses the boarder.

Nope I don't fish in tents, too restrictive. There was another guy out there in a black tent. Did you see the video, I'm not in a tent.
Nope, I'm on my phone so just looked at the pics. There was the guy in the black tent and somebody in an Eskimo when I drove by.

waterninja
12-30-2013, 11:56 AM
darn. one of the few days i didn't swing by to see if anyone was out there. i just live a few minutes away. would have said hi, and maybe dropped a couple lines.
congrats on those bows. i knew they hadn't winterkilled yet as i had some sucsess about a week ago.

AppleJax
12-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Where would I purchase a jaw jacker in the Edmonton area?! Thx

Buy the automatic fisherman, they do the same thing. WSS has them.

Brandonkop
12-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Yeah I just think the automatic fisherman is more bulky. I can fit four jawjackers, two tackle kits and a bunch of rods in my backpack. Otherwise they probably are similar in catching fish.

BassDude
12-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Great video. Do you have a preference for what order you setup the rig? i.e., jigging spoon on bottom, fly at the top? or does it matter? Taking the kids to Twin Lakes and will give it a whirl in the next few days.

Thanks for the video.

Brandonkop
12-31-2013, 07:01 PM
Great video. Do you have a preference for what order you setup the rig? i.e., jigging spoon on bottom, fly at the top? or does it matter? Taking the kids to Twin Lakes and will give it a whirl in the next few days.

Thanks for the video.

When I have the JawJacker rigged with three lures I usually put in any order - A bead head fly, a micro ice jig or some sort and a wire worm.

On my jigging rod I like to put a blue and silver Kastmaster (Best Color all around for any species I find) Then tie on 12 inches of 4 pound fluorocarbon line which I then tie a bead head fly below. The fly hangs below the Kastmaster and when you jig the Kastmaster it transfers a very nice motion to the fly, almost like a slow swimming insect. Highly enticing to the trout and other fish like perch if they are being picky. Good Luck!
Happy New Year.

BassDude
01-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Thank you for the info.

binnzer32
01-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Are there any decent trout in hermitage? I haven't seen any over 20 inches. That pond is a waste of money and resources. They should bubble it

Brandonkop
01-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Are there any decent trout in hermitage? I haven't seen any over 20 inches. That pond is a waste of money and resources. They should bubble it

About 17-18" is probably biggest I've caught. I enjoy it when stuck in town having it close. I wouldn't say waste, I always see other people fishing when I go. I think aeration is a safety issue with all the kids around.

EZM
01-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Hardcore ...

Alberta Bigbore
01-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Nice fish Brandon, always enjoy the vids!

binnzer32
01-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Yea I guess.

jackrabbit000
01-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Nice video, thanks for posting it. Love your setup, it works great.

waterninja
01-01-2014, 07:59 PM
don't understand why you would say that. in the summer a lot of people come down to enjoy a few hours of fishing including lots of children. a lot of other activities go on down at that pond (canoeing, paddle surfing? etc,). i bet that pond is one of the most used ones in edm. area. it's also accessable to people who are handicapped.
i agree that they should areate it and fix that dock.

binnzer32
01-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Yea you have a point. They should pimp it out. Fix it all up and aerated it then so the fish grow. So many lakes winter kill and they just keep filling them up year after year. I fished one today that gets 12000 speckies a year.. sooo many die just think its a waste

muskokagould
01-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Yea you have a point. They should pimp it out. Fix it all up and aerated it then so the fish grow. So many lakes winter kill and they just keep filling them up year after year. I fished one today that gets 12000 speckies a year.. sooo many die just think its a waste

x2 to many winterkill would make more sense to me to put half as many in and aerate it. as far as having lots of kids at the park, simple signs put up warning of aerator and thin ice should do. Assuming they are with an adult.
I know my boys 7 and 4 aren't going to be near any water, aerated or not without my supervision.

sauer, chicakoo, Cardiff few examples that would be same situation.

p.s. love the videos awesome work brando