PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Reservoir

fly Guy
12-30-2013, 08:48 AM
wondering if anyone has been out, and can update on the ice conditions? are people driving on the lake ?

CraigRosgen
12-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah there are people with trucks on the ice. Was about 14 inches of hard blue ice.

BassDude
12-30-2013, 10:40 AM
I was out on the 27th - really windy, no snow on the ice. Ice was around 14" thick. Action was slow. Fished from 830 am to around 1130. Punched holes from the old campground shoreline out about 100 yards from shore (near the ice sailboats) - very slow - empty flasher screen. Saw a bunch of trucks heading down the lake. I'm a rookie on Ghost so I got on the 1A and drove west to see what's going on in terms of shack setups, also stopped at the church and walked down to the river's edge. Lot's of folks were on the ice further down the lake. Spoke to a veteran local who had moved around and also reported a slow day. My next trip will be further west down the lake. Lot's of trucks bombing down the lake.

AdverseCity
12-30-2013, 11:01 AM
I've only fished the little bay/inlet area by the boat launch but want to try the main body of the lake. Is there anywhere to access with a quad besides the boat launch? There was a lot of snow there last week making it difficult to say the least.

BassDude
12-30-2013, 11:39 AM
there was pretty easy quad access by the old campground on the southside of the bridge the day I was there. I saw 4 or 5 quad trailers and quads driving around. Most of the snow melted off I believe - there was almost no snow on the lake ice - cleats were required to be able to stand in the wind.

BassDude
12-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Heading out to Ghost for early afternoon to sundown tomorrow - plan on driving west of the old campground....hoping to start the year with a lake trout!

fly Guy
12-31-2013, 06:14 PM
i made it out today. I caught one small laker and two rockies. I was near the summer village. it was very slow today.

BassDude
01-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Arrived at Ghost at 12:30. Tons of vehicles on the ice, so I just drove on at the boat launch and headed out west along a well beaten track. Stopped at the corner of the first bay and had a quick chat with 2 great guys - fishing 50ft - slow day - no bites. Continued on to the area where the permanent shacks started.

Drilled 4 holes - 55 Feet - empty flasher. Set out a couple lines and proceeded to cut holes and keep moving across the lake toward the South Shore looking for some fish. 55 - 60 - 70 - 75 - 70 - 70 - 40 - 20 - 15 (mouth of creek). Ice was a consistent 16 to 18 inches. Marked some fish in 50 ft just past the half way point across and worked then with a tube jig on one rod and a jigging spoon on the other - both tipped with some smelt. No action....Moved my lines as I moved across the lake to the mouth of the creek but found nothing active.

The ice was in great shape everywhere I was, hard and blue. I had to laugh as it felt like I was spot hopping in my fishing boat as I drove to the next drilling site.

No bites, no fish - beautiful day though, and the hunt to figure this lake out is on. Did find an interesting 70 foot area with pretty steep access to the mouth of the creek which I may revisit in spring.

Next stop will be at the west end of the Arm and then further west out to the Church.

As I left at 4:50 the Conservation Officer seemed to be writing some tickets as he had his book out - maybe I'm wrong - but he was speaking with some guys by the ice sail boats.

Iwantsfish
01-01-2014, 07:56 PM
I was out there late afternoon today from 2-4:30 as well and it was busy. Never ice fished here before but lots of activity, trucks, cars, and even a single engine plane that wizzed overhead, landed and took off after a bit. I was just west of the campground about a hundred yards from the ice sail boats similar to what the poster above described. Hope those guys with the tents and gear from Canmore didn't get in too much trouble, they seemed nice.

No fish to speak of, had a tip up closer to shore with a green jig and some shrimp and another hole further out with a white tube dancing around...nothing there either.

Beautiful day though, no wind and the sun was setting down. I think I`ll try further out west where all the trucks seemed to be heading next time and dark and early for a longer day. Maybe even get a flasher to help with the hunt.

The hunt to find this secretive ghost arm locaion is on, but I'm very wary of driving my vehicle on ice so it will make for a long hike! Hope it is worth it, reports from Spray lakes haven't been positive this season.

BassDude
01-01-2014, 08:10 PM
If you want to meet up one day at the boat launch, I'll gladly drive you out on the lake. Spent my youth driving on ice in lake of the woods, Ghost seems pretty solid at the moment, this can change, but I sense this may be the year to explore with relative ease if the ice continues to get thicker with little snow cover. I'm away to Rocky this weekend, but live only 30 minutes away if you ever want to meet up and head west.

Iwantsfish
01-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks BassDude,

I won't be able to get out till the 19th, but if you're planning on heading out there that day I'll take you up on that. PM me once we get closer to the day.

Bigdad013
01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Is the lake clear of snow? Thinking of taking the family out skating and fishing

Iwantsfish
01-02-2014, 10:35 AM
There is a light snow cover on the ice when I was there, about 1cm or so around the campground. I'm sure there are spots on the lake elsewhere that might be clear.

Bigdad013
01-02-2014, 10:38 AM
There is a light snow cover on the ice when I was there, about 1cm or so around the campground. I'm sure there are spots on the lake elsewhere that might be clear.

Thanks