PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having good luck at Spray Lakes?

NCFlyfishin
12-30-2013, 11:41 AM
I've been out twice this year and it has been SUPER slow, I am thinking of going out tomorrow and would like to have some better luck, I've been fishing the lake for a few years now and never experienced such slow action, I've been fishing just past sparrowhawk and am wondering what kind of luck people have been having around driftwood area? Open to suggestions on spots to go, any help is appreciated

Chisholm77
12-30-2013, 03:58 PM
I've been out to Driftwood a few times this year and it's been much slower than last year. I was hoping to hear Sparrowhawk was doing better!

The Fisherman Guy
12-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Any of the lakes which I have fished this year which were effected by the flood are all down in fish activity from last year. The flood didn't help the fish...

Spray is so slow this year, I don't see myself fishing it much. Other than Ghost or Minnewanka, looks like Lakers will be off the menu for a while.

Scott N
12-30-2013, 05:45 PM
We were out last Friday and fished from about 8:30 to 2:30 and iced 3 fish, and lost a couple of others near Sparrowhawk. I haven't fished Spray enough to know what is good fishing, but after going there twice last year to catch my first ever lake trout and getting skunked, it was nice to catch a few.

BeeGuy
12-30-2013, 06:42 PM
I failed to catch any whites today so headed to the middle and it took about 15min to ice a small laker.

Typical 80 or 90 fow.

Some goof ball beside me lost 3 in a row in that same timeframe.

NCFlyfishin
12-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Hope I do as well tomorrow as you BeeGuy, hope it is consistent action all day!

BeeGuy
12-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Hope I do as well tomorrow as you BeeGuy, hope it is consistent action all day!

Wouldn't say I did well at all as I was looking for whites and there weren't many around.

A short spell jigging for lakers turned one up but it was slow otherwise.

Beauty day though.

NCFlyfishin
12-31-2013, 07:00 AM
I am heading up to Spray Lakes now, will give a report when I get back, and I am thinking of going further down the lake than Sparrowhawk, or going to Driftwood, not completely sure yet.

fentochris
12-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Had some luck at driftwood on Sunday.. Just walk out to the middle and setup.. Caught lakers a few feet off the bottom jigging away. Enjoy the wind!!!

ADH
12-31-2013, 09:18 AM
I was out there sunday and monday at driftwood. Very slow... 3 hits 1 fish in 2 days... thinking about trying sparrowhawk but im wondering if its even worth it now

Scott N
12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Are some / most of you guys using flashers or fish finders?

fentochris
12-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Nope... rod, reel, lure and bait... nothing fancy...

gasman
01-04-2014, 06:10 PM
I tried Spray for the first time this morning, drove just south of sparrow hawk and got there just after 8am. Highway was pretty sketchy near Canmore, Spray Lakes Road was unplowed with two sets of tracks but not bad driving at all.

I broke down and purchased a flasher on Friday, so this was the virgin run. I think I'm "hooked" now.

Walked out towards the middle drilled a hole and landed a nice 15" lake trout within 10 seconds.

Fished until 1:15, iced 6, kept one, missed many, there seemed to be constant action the entire morning. I was fishing about 85 ft of water. I was using a 1/8oz jig head, with half of a smelt from WSS.

alacringa
01-04-2014, 06:35 PM
I've been out twice, missed one fish each time, and that was it. Super duper slow.