PDA

View Full Version : Would you chance this?

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Although it was a great day of fishing....it didn't start so great.
After a couple hours of driving and getting to the lake, we realized we had forgotten our fishing licenses at home.
After about 20mins of debating... we decided to take the chance.
Our thought process was that of like not having a driver's licence on hand.
One gets 24hrs to prove it.
So....by the end of the day a Conservation Officer came a knockn.
He checked our hooks and we chatted quite a bit but he didn't ask for our licence....BIG RELIEF!!!!!
Don't know what would have happened if we got busted.....BUT....Would you have taken this chance?
We got lucky to say the least.

muskokagould
01-01-2014, 09:10 PM
:scared0015:very lucky

honestly if I drove hours and there was no where anywhere close to get a reprint I'd do the same, unfortunately I've got pretty poor luck and the original post may not have been the same lol

bwackwabbit
01-01-2014, 09:16 PM
If you use a smartphone, the iFish Alberta app is worth the $5 it costs.
You can use the "My GloveBox" to take pictures of your license, boat registration etc. as long as you carry photo ID it serves to provide a safety net for situations just like this.

Lefty-Canuck
01-01-2014, 09:17 PM
How big a hole did you have to cut in the ice to fish by trolling?

LC

michael p
01-01-2014, 09:21 PM
I had that happen before. The officer just ask my win # which I had. He checked it and found I had valid lic. He did say have your lic. next time.

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 09:29 PM
If you use a smartphone, the iFish Alberta app is worth the $5 it costs.
You can use the "My GloveBox" to take pictures of your license, boat registration etc. as long as you carry photo ID it serves to provide a safety net for situations just like this.

You're full of tech ideas......very kool....unfortunately I'm not.
My phone, computer and TV turns on and off and that's about the extent of my expertise :scared:

Hey Lefty.....HUH???...oh Nevermind....who cares.:scared0018:

RavYak
01-01-2014, 09:31 PM
I personally think that although yes you should have your license that the Fish Cops must be able to phone a certain number and find out if you have a license based on your name/address.

If they can't do this it just goes to show you how backwards and slow our society still is since they have had the technology to easily do this for decades now.

Lefty-Canuck
01-01-2014, 09:41 PM
The law states you must have you license on your person and signed while angling

For a drivers license you must have it on your person while driving also.

....you got lucky that's all there is to it...not sure I would make a public post about it though....

Be careful with using your phone to take pictures of things that can be used as evidence....they can take your entire phone for an undefined amount of time.

LC

CanuckShooter
01-01-2014, 09:48 PM
After a couple hours of driving and getting to the lake, we realized we had forgotten our fishing licenses at home.
He checked our hooks and we chatted quite a bit but he didn't ask for our licence....BIG RELIEF!!!!!
Don't know what would have happened if we got busted.....BUT....Would you have taken this chance?

Did you get the officers name? I'd call that dereliction of duty, and he should be reported. The money from the fine you would have had to pay could have went towards lowering the provinces debt. By his actions he deprived the provinces coffers. :thinking-006:

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 09:58 PM
The law states you must have you license on your person and signed while angling

....you got lucky that's all there is to it...not sure I would make a public post about it though....

Be careful with using your phone to take pictures of things that can be used as evidence....they can take your entire phone for an undefined amount of time.

LC

Yes I know I got lucky.
Don't see the problem in discussing this publically?
I understand the law....but sometimes officer's aren't as hard azzed as people want them to be. Some folks make an honest mistake and deserve a break.
We all make mistakes in life.....but do we all deserve the maximum punishment if caught?
I say NO!!!
Like I said......we had a long pleasant chat and it was obvious to him that I'm not criminally inclined and poaching. He was a nice guy. So now your saying I should report him ?????
WTHell!!!!! that's just wrong

Sorry....I was addressing Lefty and Shooter at the same time.
Maybe I'll just give you the money and you can buy some Happy Pie.

Ken07AOVette
01-01-2014, 10:05 PM
No I wouldn't. Too shickenchit of the consequences to risk it.

CanuckShooter
01-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Negligent in the performance of his duties...didn't even ask to see your license?? Outrageous.

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Negligent in the performance of his duties...didn't even ask to see your license?? Outrageous.

Outrageous you say???!!!

C'mon man.....your joking right???

No... he did his job by checking on all the tents.

Sometimes people in authority get a good vibe from folks and just let it go at that.

Maybe we both deserve a flogging.....but then again...maybe not.

Chill out man.....life is NOT about maximum punishment for all wrong doers.

I made an honest mistake and I spose he did too....what's the harm???

muskokagould
01-01-2014, 10:17 PM
hang em both in town square:sHa_shakeshout:

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 10:17 PM
No I wouldn't. Too shickenchit of the consequences to risk it.

It wasn't an easy choice for myself and wife.
But we made the choice and realized the possible consequences.

We got lucky....this time.

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 10:19 PM
hang em both in town square:sHa_shakeshout:

Now your talkin bro.....but I want my last request :)

CanuckShooter
01-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Outrageous you say???!!!

C'mon man.....your joking right???

No... he did his job by checking on all the tents.

Sometimes people in authority get a good vibe from folks and just let it go at that.

Maybe we both deserve a flogging.....but then again...maybe not.

Chill out man.....life is NOT about maximum punishment for all wrong doers.

I made an honest mistake and I spose he did too....what's the harm???

It is a loss of revenue for the province...he had you dead to rights and failed to follow through on established procedures. Cutting corners costs, he probably doesn't follow safety procedures either.

DiabeticKripple
01-01-2014, 10:22 PM
i print 3 licenses off. one in the wallet (always with me), one in my tackle box, and one in my fly vest. so i always have 2 copies on me.

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 10:32 PM
i print 3 licenses off. one in the wallet (always with me), one in my tackle box, and one in my fly vest. so i always have 2 copies on me.

Ya that's my next procedure.
Me n wifey already discussed that.

lannie
It is a loss of revenue for the province...he had you dead to rights and failed to follow through on established procedures. Cutting corners costs, he probably doesn't follow safety procedures either.

You do have time to produce your license.

Wes_G
I think the more important question here is... checked your hooks for what?

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 10:33 PM

WOAH MAN!!!.....loosen those reins.....you're way too hard azzed.

I'll send ya the fine money.....or better yet....I'll send it to KenVette for the charity fund.
That I'm cool with. :)

muskokagould
01-01-2014, 10:33 PM
It is a loss of revenue for the province..

canuck top leftsays your from BC would they get half the revenue? lol
come on man be real, honest mistake.

BeeGuy
01-01-2014, 10:34 PM

Sounds like you have been getting a lot of passes lately from those in charge.

Chisholm77
01-01-2014, 10:37 PM
First time on the ice this year I thought I had done the same as you and me and my buddy had a similar discussion about whether you have time or not. When I got home I checked my wallet and it turned out I did have my license the whole time. I kept my limit that day so I guess the answer is yes I would chance it.

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 10:58 PM
You do have time to produce your license.

That's what I thought....and that's why I made the go ahead decision

CanuckShooter
01-01-2014, 10:59 PM
canuck top leftsays your from BC would they get half the revenue? lol
come on man be real, honest mistake.

Lots of people miss seeing a school zone sign too....should they be sent off without a fine too? Honest mistake after all....

Really though the fish cop didn't do his job, your alright with that? :sign0176:

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Lots of people miss seeing a school zone sign too....should they be sent off without a fine too? Honest mistake after all....

Really though the fish cop didn't do his job, your alright with that? :sign0176:

OH MAN!!!!!

You're comparing apples to oranges.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

REEEEEELLLLLAAAAXXXX Brutha!!!

Chief16
01-01-2014, 11:06 PM

How is it a loss of revenue in this case? He still paid for a license, but didn't have the physical copy on him.

CanuckShooter
01-01-2014, 11:09 PM
How is it a loss of revenue in this case? He still paid for a license, but didn't have the physical copy on him.

He could have gotten fined for not producing his license...ka-ching...that's cash on the barrel head.

muskokagould
01-01-2014, 11:14 PM

he knew he didn't have his licence :snapoutofit: ever went to the store and forgot your wallet? then drove back home to get it, cause that'd make you a hypocrite kind sir

CNP
01-01-2014, 11:17 PM

Did you ever get away without paying a ticket for anything? Do you pull cops over and demand that they ticket you?

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 11:18 PM
he knew he didn't have his licence :snapoutofit: ever went to the store and forgot your wallet? then drove back home to get it, cause that'd make you a hypocrite kind sir

Thanks for the backup bro.
Man!!!! I can't count how many times I've forgotten my wallet when at the til.
CRAP!!!!.....seems to be a pattern......I need a nanny :)

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 11:20 PM
He could have gotten fined for not producing his license...ka-ching...that's cash on the barrel head.

Do you work for Revenue Canada????

If so????

Lose my number brutha :sHa_shakeshout:

CanuckShooter
01-01-2014, 11:21 PM
I find it hard to believe some of you guys are OK with this story.

It's the fish cop not doing his job that is the issue here. As the story goes he didn't even ask to see a license, for all he knew they were poaching without a license!!! That isn't an honest mistake, that is dereliction of duty. What is the point of paying his wage if he is just going to chat with people in the outdoors????:sign0176:

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 11:24 PM

It's the fish cop not doing his job that is the issue here. As the story goes he didn't even ask to see a license, for all he knew they were poaching without a license!!! That isn't an honest mistake, that is dereliction of duty. What is the point of paying his wage if he is just going to chat with people in the outdoors????:sign0176:

Don't you watch TV crime shows?????

Gut feelings mean ALOT!!!!!! :)

I joke....but it stressed me out.
He was cool and so was I......it's simple man.

Sometimes you gotta go with your gut feeling.

CanuckShooter
01-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Don't you watch TV crime shows?????

Gut feelings mean ALOT!!!!!! :)

I joke....but it stressed me out.
He was cool and so was I......it's simple man.

Sometimes you gotta go with your gut feeling.

What you did was no big deal, but the CO not checking you out well that is another matter. I sure read a lot of threads on AO about the lack of officers and all the poaching going on unchecked. Well it's no wonder when the CO is out strolling and having nice chats with people and not even asking to see a license. Is this how he operates during the hunting season, doesn't bother to check for licenses or tags? Just has a nice chat and goes on a gut feeling?

muskokagould
01-01-2014, 11:37 PM
What you did was no big deal, but the CO not checking you out well that is another matter. I sure read a lot of threads on AO about the lack of officers and all the poaching going on unchecked. Well it's no wonder when the CO is out strolling and having nice chats with people and not even asking to see a license. Is this how he operates during the hunting season, doesn't bother to check for licenses or tags? Just has a nice chat and goes on a gut feeling?

I agree never been asked for licence in alberta, seen them a few times but usually walking by them checking someone else out

Lupincaster
01-01-2014, 11:41 PM

It's a different story to check on poachers.
I had no fish in the tent.
The Bulls are C&R and Rainbows only 1.
My tent was clean and he looked around.
He even saw an empty baggy in my tackle box and asked if it was a bait bag and also asked to see it and read the label.
It was an empty Deer Hair bag for my fly tying.
Make no mistake.....he checked me out before the pleasant conversation took place.
AND....I'm glad he showed up.....lets me know they are out there and doing their job.
You gotta take down your Nazi flag and replace it with a Peace flag brutha

huntingd
01-01-2014, 11:59 PM
He must have been a real mnt giant bro. I'm glad you didn't get fined but bring it next time. You might not get as lucky twice brutha.

outdoors forever
01-02-2014, 12:08 AM

Your taking this waaaaaay too seriously........:snapoutofit:

WildCats
01-02-2014, 12:42 AM
For what it's worth you don't have 24 hrs to produce a drivers licence or sport fishing license, both are to be produced upon demand and within a reasonable amount of time. Reasonable amount of time being the duration of the check.

WC

Todrod
01-02-2014, 01:08 AM
I was fishing the bow with a buddy last year and he had left his wallet with his liscense in my truck. A C.O. stopped us and looked at my license and when my buddy told her it was in my truck, she didn't bat an eye and punched his info into some futuristic handheld device. She looked at the screen, then at us, then wished us a good day.
My buddy has his PhD, btw. So he isn't just some lowlife hillbilly looking to screw the system. It happens to the best of us.

SNAPFisher
01-02-2014, 02:40 AM

I've been stopped without my license on me at RDR. Gave him my drivers and the officer was able to look it up using that, no problem. It's not like he actually didn't have one. Your probably trolling with your idiotic comments but if you are not...I have other words I would prefer to use for you.

evileddie713
01-02-2014, 05:12 AM
We were stopped on Battle 2 summers ago and my buddy didnt have his license on him. CO checked his win# to make sure he was licensed then gave him a 90$ ticket for not carrying it with him. He had left his license in the car at the boat launch.

ESOXangler
01-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Evinrude 9.9 are excellent for TROLLING!

RavYak
01-02-2014, 08:23 AM
I have fished without a license before, same type of story where I forgot it in my car or forgot my wallet at home etc. It happens to everyone and if you have travelled any distance you won't want to turn around and waste the day/gas money.

I didn't realize F&W were as anal as some people are saying, to me in this day there is no reason an officer can't quickly check to see if you have a license themselves. Yes you should have it with you but everyone makes mistakes.

deanstroyer
01-02-2014, 08:39 AM
I always make sure my fishing licence is on me before I go,its the first thing I pack, you would have turned around if you forgot your auger/rod/tackle , so why not your licence?.

Wild&Free
01-02-2014, 08:41 AM
This thread reminds me of a time fishing a tributary of the Nass for Coho, was a good run that year, schools of 10-30 fish going up this 20' river every 10-15 minutes all day we were there. We got just shy of our limit, lock jawed the hole up a few times throughout the day, finished our limit then buddy starts saying how he'd like to keep just 1 more. Ol lady said nope, my truck, my rules so we walked out, and there at the trail head was the CO's. They checked us for barbs, chatted about how good the fishing was this year for a bit. Never asked to see licenses, or our catch.

If you really don't have anything to hide, and you're open and upfront with leo's they're just people doing a job. Don't give them a reason to enforce anything and they don't have to.

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 08:48 AM
I always make sure my fishing licence is on me before I go,its the first thing I pack, you would have turned around if you forgot your auger/rod/tackle , so why not your licence?.

Huh???
Think about what you said for a minute or three.
Ding ding :thinking-006:

deanstroyer
01-02-2014, 08:51 AM
i thought about it and...... my point is treat your licence like you couldnt fish without it. i understand you were not willing to drive, had you got a fine you would be singing a different tune.

coors04
01-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Who care about the money the gov will just **** it away anyways. Missing a school zone is a hazard to kids in the area and proves your not paying attention while your in control of a moving vehicle. Forgetting a license is no big deal at least they can prove they paid for them and after all that's all that counts. Fish cops as rare as they are should be looked at as a positive thing not some hard ass that's going to pick you apart. He should have asked to see there lincence sure but if there's guys on a lake doing everything right chances are they have a lincence.

Lefty-Canuck
01-02-2014, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't hunt without my license or tags....so why would I fish without one?

I have had to pack up and get a reprint at the nearest town on one occasion, it was my fault I left the license at home...so I fixed the problem by getting another one.

Now I do like some others and have several printed and signed in different spots so I am never with one.

LC

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 09:04 AM
i thought about it and...... my point is treat your licence like you couldnt fish without it. i understand you were not willing to drive, had you got a fine you would be singing a different tune.

Yes true
I see your point....and it's actually the first time I forgot my licence in 40yrs.
And that's why the point of this thread is....."would you chance this?"

Also....it took quite some time to make the decision. I almost went back home.
Yes I know I got lucky. I'm gonna make copies and keep one in my vest, wallet and truck to be safe.

Also....We tried looking for an officer before we started and tell him/her our situation first.

I didn't take this lightly, BUT, I also didn't take it as a huge offence.
I do have a licence....do you want me to post it?
Oh wait...it's in the truck and the wife took the truck to work.....sorry.
(just being silly now)

AND....sometimes being personable counts for something.

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't hunt without my license or tags....so why would I fish without one?

I have had to pack up and get a reprint at the nearest town on one occasion, it was my fault I left the license at home...so I fixed the problem by getting another one.

Now I do like some others and have several printed and signed in different spots so I am never with one.

LC

For one....I was an hour from the nearest town and for two it was a holiday.
And three....hunting licence and tags are a whole new ball game.
I wouldn't take that chance.

kevinhits
01-02-2014, 09:07 AM
I was out at clear a couple of years ago and a CO asked to see my licence...I actually tore my whole wallet apart looking for it. He was good and called it in. Just as I was putting everything back in my wallet, I happened to find it:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I always get my licence on line...one in the wallet, tackle box and truck

RavYak
01-02-2014, 09:15 AM
I used to carry my license in tackle box, now that I have 4 of them and don't take all of them it is tricky.

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 09:16 AM
For what it's worth you don't have 24 hrs to produce a drivers licence or sport fishing license, both are to be produced upon demand and within a reasonable amount of time. Reasonable amount of time being the duration of the check.

WC

Unless the laws have changed....I'm gonna disagree with you.
About 25yrs ago I got stopped while driving and didn't have my wallet (licence).
The officer gave me a 24 hour "to produce" ticket.
The next day I went to the local cop shop and produced it.....the end.

58thecat
01-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Wow a testy bunch for 2014...:thinking-006:

Lefty-Canuck
01-02-2014, 09:22 AM
About 25yrs ago I got stopped while driving and didn't have my wallet (licence).

That police officer was just being kind...they don't HAVE to do that.

My Wife was stopped last year without the new insurance pink slip in her car, the officer called the insurance company to confirm we had it and he still have her a ticket....he called the insurance company because if it wasn't insured it was getting towed.

That officer cut you some slack.

LC

ETOWNCANUCK
01-02-2014, 09:25 AM
My licence always goes into my tackle box right after I buy it...

wags
01-02-2014, 09:27 AM

X2 - can't fish without my tackle. Shouldn't fish without my license. This ensure it makes it every time. Keep it in a ziplock bag to protect it from moisture.

Cheers

Edit: changed wallet to license

RavYak
01-02-2014, 09:27 AM
This thread keeps reminding me why I hate some of the anal stupidities of western society...

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Some have more than 1 box..., including winter boxes, summer boxes, salt water boxes, fly vests, etc....

RavYak
01-02-2014, 09:31 AM
X2 - can't fish without my tackle. Shouldn't fish without my wallet. This ensure it makes it every time. Keep it in a ziplock bag to protect it from moisture.

Cheers

And you have never got somewhere to realize you forgot your wallet? Or vice versa realized you forgot your tackle box or fishing rod or something along those lines?

Everyone has had it happened, and anyone who says otherwise is full of it. The fact that people actually are arguing that a person should still be fined must work for the government or something because all that crap is is a money making scheme.

Any reasonable officer(F&W or Police) should give you 24 hours to prove you just made an honest mistake. I think it should actually be the law, unfortunately it isn't though and you still get ***** officers trying to meet quotas...

Edit: Lol at pr!ck being sensored but not anal...

kevinhits
01-02-2014, 09:41 AM
The answer to producing any type of licence is clear....Officers discretion...

Good day = call it in or give you 24 hours to produce
Bad day = Ticket

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 09:42 AM
And you have never got somewhere to realize you forgot your wallet? Or vice versa realized you forgot your tackle box or fishing rod or something along those lines?

Everyone has had it happened, and anyone who says otherwise is full of it. The fact that people actually are arguing that a person should still be fined must work for the government or something because all that crap is is a money making scheme.

Any reasonable officer(F&W or Police) should give you 24 hours to prove you just made an honest mistake. I think it should actually be the law, unfortunately it isn't though and you still get ***** officers trying to meet quotas...

Very reasonable thinking Rav.

I remember one time I drove a long way and forgot my wallet.
But I DID have my fishing licence in my vest.
I just barely had enough gas to get back home and had enough change in the truck to buy a sandwich n drink.

Sometimes we don't think clearly at 4am with the excitement of the fishing day ahead. Like a kid at Christmas.

But it was a good fishing day :)

jbfishing
01-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Guys i am not sure it will be the same out come for u, but i never carry my fishing licence and i have been asked for it many times i just give my details and most F&W officer have the technology to look up your fishing licence. The keys is don't be a#& h#$@ "yes sir no sir" kinda thing.

kevinhits
01-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Guys i am not sure it will be the same out come for u, but i never carry my fishing licence and i have been asked for it many times i just give my details and most F&W officer have the technology to look up your fishing licence. The keys is don't be a#& h#$@ "yes sir no sir" kinda thing.

Forgetting is one thing, but never bringing it with you will eventually running into Co having a bad day...LOL

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 09:54 AM

Holy moly....and I thought I was taking a chance.
But you're just asking for trouble.
So where is your licence?????
In a vault???

Maybe it works for you....but I wouldn't want to waste my time explaining the situation to an officer.
I got a limited amount of precious time to fish....and every second counts.

wags
01-02-2014, 09:58 AM

Edit: Lol at pr!ck being sensored but not anal...

Yes I have forgotten my wallet. No I have not forgotten my fishing tackle or rod. The debate isn't whether or not people forget it from time to time, it's the action that is pursued after. If I don't have my driver's license because I forgot it is not an excuse to be let out of the punishment. As mentioned, treat the officer with respect, and in all likeliness, you'll get let off. However, that same officer is in full right to levy a ticket, because the rules have been broken.

My 5 year old uses "I forgot" as an excuse several times a day - sometimes I let her off, sometimes I don't. In all cases, I don't 'have' to let her off, just because she committed an honest mistake.

To mitigate human error, such as my forgetfulness, I ensure that my fishing license is in my tackle box. For those that have multiple tackle boxes, have multiple copies of licenses to be put in each one. Point is, you can't fish without your tackle, so if the license is in there, no need to worry about it every being forgotten.

Cheers

diamonddave
01-02-2014, 09:58 AM

You do not have 24hrs to produce, it's on you, or it's a ticketable offence.

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 10:02 AM

I don't know the actual written law.....but my experience tells a different story.

Lefty-Canuck
01-02-2014, 10:04 AM
I don't know the actual written law.....but my experience tells a different story.

You got lucky....the experince my Wife had was te exact opposite....she was unlucky that day.

Just because you were granted 24hrs doesn't make it "law" to get 24hrs.

There is a "failure to produce documents" offence...

LC :)

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 10:05 AM
The day's chance turned out to be a goodun.
And this was the smallest catch of the day.

lannie
01-02-2014, 10:07 AM

Early 90's I was fishing the Bow with out my license on me. Got a ticket that i would have had to pay if i could not produce it in 24 hrs. I had to make a trip into a fish and game branch the next morning just east of Chinook mall and they looked at it and it was over.

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 10:09 AM
You got lucky....the experince my Wife had was te exact opposite....she was unlucky that day.

Just because you were granted 24hrs doesn't make it "law" to get 24hrs.

There is a "failure to produce documents" offence...

LC :)

Yes I have heard of the "failure to produce" law.

Guess my charming personality prevailed hahaha

RavYak
01-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Yes I have forgotten my wallet. No I have not forgotten my fishing tackle or rod. The debate isn't whether or not people forget it from time to time, it's the action that is pursued after. If I don't have my driver's license because I forgot it is not an excuse to be let out of the punishment. As mentioned, treat the officer with respect, and in all likeliness, you'll get let off. However, that same officer is in full right to levy a ticket, because the rules have been broken.

That is what I and others are saying though. These laws are archaic and with todays technology you should be able to get out of a simple mistake without punishment. With the technology we have these days it should be extremely easy for any officer to look up your name/address/whatever and quickly and easily be able to tell if you just forgot your license or if you were on purpose breaking the law. That is all that should matter, did you or did you not break a law and making an honest forgetful mistake shouldn't be against the law.

Sure back before computers etc I would agree that you should get a ticket if you can't provide evidence but in today's age with our technological ability you shouldn't even need to carry a physical licence any more.

AK47
01-02-2014, 10:59 AM
He checked our hooks and we chatted quite a bit...

Just our of curiosity what he was checking on your hooks? Number of them, or if you had some illegal bait on it?

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Just our of curiosity what he was checking on your hooks? Number of them, or if you had some illegal bait on it?

We were just using plain jigs.
It was a bait ban lake.
Guess he was checking for barbs.
I only fish barbless in all fishng disciplines anyway.

Our jigs were reeled in when he came because the wife just finished landing a nice Bull which shreaded her jig and blew apart her reel.
I reeled in as soon as she hooked up.

One rod each.

Does this answer your question?

fishermansfriend
01-02-2014, 11:44 AM
hahaha wow, what a bunch of nazi's is right.... we may as well implement mandatory minimum sentences for simple mistakes... Get real.. I left my wallet at the camp site while fishing off the dock at gull co's showed up and when i asked to run up to the site they said sure.. came back down and got a warning, i was instructed you must be able to produce a license while fishing.. also not all co's carry the little gadget to look up your license...

obviously the best practice is to not forget it but come on people.. taking the expression "keep a tight ass" to the extreme!

pickrel pat
01-02-2014, 11:48 AM
I love turtles.

fish gunner
01-02-2014, 11:52 AM
I forget my "paperz" all the time go out on the boat , forgot in fly vest. Two weeks later go fly fishing licences in the boat. Been fined twice ,meh, if your gonna be dumb ya got be willing to pay the price . Loopy got lucky .

Dacotensis
01-02-2014, 11:53 AM
The officer sounds like a nimrod. Not to defile the name on AO forum.
Sheldon is a good guy.

The co checked for barbs, but didn't check for a license.
Didn't even ask for one.
Probably could t smell the stench of bs, or something else emanating from the tent.

Do some AO members actually believe the stories they type?

I can't wait for the next hot button topic that is sure to polarize and evoke response from the members.
Say op, do you have Red hair? As in RHF?
Some of you guys need to get your heads out of the clouds.
This is classic tactic of baiting used as personal entertainment.
For once I agree with canuckshooter.

I guess I should relax. It's just the internet after all.
Did it occur to anyone that with a smarty pants phone, the op could go to my wild Alberta and show that a licence was purchased?
A lack of carrying is a non issue as is wether a hook is barbed.
I have seen some better tall tails told on AO.

Rediculous stuff here in the fishing forum.

kevinhits
01-02-2014, 11:53 AM
We were just using plain jigs.
It was a bait ban lake.
Guess he was checking for barbs.
I only fish barbless in all fishng disciplines anyway.

Our jigs were reeled in when he came because the wife just finished landing a nice Bull which shreaded her jig and blew apart her reel.
I reeled in as soon as she hooked up.

One rod each.

Does this answer your question?

He shouldn't be checking for barbs, should he.....

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 11:58 AM
He shouldn't be checking for barbs, should he.....

He asked and I showed him.
I didn't question his questioning.

kevinhits
01-02-2014, 12:00 PM
He asked and I showed him.
I didn't question his questioning.

Sorry...What I meant was fishing with barbs are legal...for now

kevinhits
01-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Sorry...What I meant was fishing with barbs are legal...for now

I assume he was looking at your hooks for bait then, not barbless hooks?

Reddin
01-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Fisherman fishing with barbed hooks have killed more fish than fisherman who have forgot their license at home.

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 12:06 PM
I assume he was looking at your hooks for bait then, not barbless hooks?

Yes I know what you meant.
I think you are right. Because he did focus on an empty bag in my box and asked if it was a bait bag.
Turned out to be a deer hair bag for flies.
I usually carry little empty bags for small garbage like tangled line or whatever comes up.

Ken07AOVette
01-02-2014, 12:11 PM
I love turtles.

Bastard! Now that stupid song is stuck in my head!:angry3:

kevinhits
01-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Fisherman fishing with barbed hooks have killed more fish than fisherman who have forgot their license at home.

:party0051:

pickrel pat
01-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Bastard! Now that stupid song is stuck in my head!:angry3:

gimmee a break
gimmee a break
break me off a piece of that kit kat bar!

kevinhits
01-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Yes I know what you meant.
I think you are right. Because he did focus on an empty bag in my box and asked if it was a bait bag.
Turned out to be a deer hair bag for flies.
I usually carry little empty bags for small garbage like tangled line or whatever comes up.

Having bait on you means nothing...

I have gone out to Kananaskis and fished there, and on the way home fished Sibbald....Just cause I have bait on me, doesn't mean I am using it on a bait ban lake

wags
01-02-2014, 12:25 PM
That is what I and others are saying though. These laws are archaic and with todays technology you should be able to get out of a simple mistake without punishment. With the technology we have these days it should be extremely easy for any officer to look up your name/address/whatever and quickly and easily be able to tell if you just forgot your license or if you were on purpose breaking the law. That is all that should matter, did you or did you not break a law and making an honest forgetful mistake shouldn't be against the law.

Sure back before computers etc I would agree that you should get a ticket if you can't provide evidence but in today's age with our technological ability you shouldn't even need to carry a physical licence any more.

Again, whether they are archaic or not is irrelevant, and the technology doesn't mean the law is to be ignored.

If the law is that you are to carry with you a fishing license at all times of fishing, then that's the law. No different than a driver's license. They can look you up to see that you have a license on the laptop in the cruiser, doesn't mean they can't do that AND still give you a ticket. Just instead of arresting you, impounding your car, etc, etc, you only get the 'not carrying documentation' ticket.

Secondly, speaking from the perspective of someone who works in IT for the Health industry, you should NEVER rely on technology. Those little gadgets they carry to look up your information is limited by the same things as your cell phone - battery life, breaking down for some reason, not working in extreme weather, and probably the most impactful, coverage! Just because the technology exists, doesn't mean it can always be utilized.

Cheers

Lupincaster
01-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Having bait on you means nothing...

I have gone out to Kananaskis and fished there, and on the way home fished Sibbald....Just cause I have bait on me, doesn't mean I am using it on a bait ban lake

Very true.
So I guess he was looking for bait remnants on our hooks.....which of course there weren't any.

Darren N
01-02-2014, 01:36 PM
gimmee a break
gimmee a break
break me off a piece of that kit kat bar!

Crap - now I got two songs stuck in my head.

Ken07AOVette
01-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Crap - now I got two songs stuck in my head.

Haha lol! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Richmuiz
01-02-2014, 07:19 PM
I lost mine four months ago I've been checked three times never been a issue they have allready ran my licence plate before they come up to me so they know I have one I just tell them I lost it there pretty cool about it. I guess I should print one off before I run into one that's having a bad day lol

Adwittoutdoors
01-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Hmmm ......kit kat:sHa_shakeshout:

TylerThomson
01-02-2014, 08:52 PM
I never have a paper copy on me when I'm fishing. I buy my licence online and use the stylus on my phone to sign it digitally. If a Co has a problem with that then it's fine with me. I'll pay the fine and then have something to birch about with my buddies over a beer. I've been caught lots without a paper copy and have never been fined but then again I'm also not a richardhead and treat other people with respect. I'm even willing to post this under my real name go ahead and turn the bad guy in lmao. Can't believe some of the Richards on this site.

maverick_8teen
01-02-2014, 08:57 PM
My god, what a debate. Think of it like a check stop...the cop doesn't ask to see your licence just wants to ensure your not drinking. The C\O is checking your lines to see if your using bait, if your barbs are crimped etc etc...hell maybe he's just checking to see what your using to give ur lure a go next weekend when he's off duty.

You wanna talk cost...hourly wages. He gets paid X amount of $/hr. It's a nice weekend and it's busy on the lake(s) he's responsible for. He ain't got all day at one lake. If the fishers are doing nothing illegal at first site he doesn't ask too many questions. He's looking for the big score...

Not saying it's ok to fish without your licence on hand but why punish the honest guy who does have a licence (just not on hand) and is following the law as set out by the fisheries.

BeeGuy
01-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Hey mntgiant,

Do you like fish sticks?

Gust
01-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's best to not get the laws of Chilliwack or Kamloops confused with the laws of Alberta.

Zip
01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Haha lol! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Okay i just gotta do this...kinda like a commercial break of sorts,same as above..".Long Gone To Saskatchewan"...great tune by Corb Lund.

WildCats
01-02-2014, 10:32 PM

That would be called officer discretion

bsmitty27
01-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Common guys the responses here show why some good people are leaving the site. If you wouldn't risk it state that. Dont chew the op appart. And don't be hard on the fish cop. It's good to see fish cops using some personal judgment.
Brad

H380
01-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Common guys the responses here show why some good people are leaving the site. If you wouldn't risk it state that. Dont chew the op appart. And don't be hard on the fish cop. It's good to see fish cops using some personal judgment.
Brad

Agreed . Same guys on this post that are upset about the officer not checking the licence probably woulda kept the lost fishing hut on another thread . BetLupin takes his licence next time .. Lesson learned , nobody got hurt , lost an eye , etc ..:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Flight01
01-03-2014, 12:15 AM
I always take pics of my tags and receipts related to hunting and fishing. Including win card

Jamie
01-03-2014, 01:16 AM
My mom, perhaps the most un outdoorsy lady on the planet.
Was salmon fishing a river in central BC.

She and Dad were left on a island when the fish cop came up.
Licenses please he says.
Mom says it's in her purse back in the car
Cop says you have to have it on you
Mom says thats a stupid rule and her purse his way to valuable and in no way was she carrying it in a boat and out on a island where a bear might eat it.

Cop shakes his head and walks away after being chastised by a 5 foot tall piece of dynamite. Dad is rolling on the ground laughing.

She was something special that mom of mine.

You gota hear the story about her getting hung up on the basement window by the draw string on her sweat pants...

Jamie

slivers86
01-03-2014, 01:17 AM
I had that happen before. The officer just ask my win # which I had. He checked it and found I had valid lic. He did say have your lic. next time.

x2 had the same experience when i first started fishing.

I probably wouldn't risk it, just on the chance that the last guy the CO ran into was a jerk and put him/her into a bad mood.

dopemop
01-03-2014, 03:01 AM
been checked with 3 buddies in the summer and we were good to go but the other guy he pulled the boat over (sibbald lake) had a child in the Canoe and wers drinking.. CO Poured out all the beers
and gave them a ticket.. being young and dumb we almost cried watching that beer go to waste.

bryanfewchuk
01-03-2014, 04:14 AM
Jerry! Jerry ! Jerry!

ETOWNCANUCK
01-03-2014, 09:26 AM
This actually made it to page 4....

gprime27
01-03-2014, 09:33 AM
I had a CO come up to me asking to see my license the other day. I couldn't find it but, I happened to have a digital copy of it photographed on my phone. He took a look had a good laugh and told me I was clever and went along his day. It was great :)

Dacotensis
01-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Brad

Agreed . Same guys on this post that are upset about the officer not checking the licence probably woulda kept the lost fishing hut on another thread . BetLupin takes his licence next time .. Lesson learned , nobody got hurt , lost an eye , etc ..:sHa_sarcasticlol:

The two of you need to realize the history of the op.
He hooked you with 4 wt line on a slow troll. You didn't even put up a fight.

No, nobody got hurt. But this long tale is pretty dumb.
Wonder why ppl are leaving this site? I don't.

I wonder why ppl who have multiple suspensions in under 6 months and then an outright ban, sign up and keep coming back to this site.
I think we must be a pretty good bunch to be around if members keep coming back.
As far as tall stories go, i miss The Welder. He was much better at spinning a yarn.
He hooked way more many ppl.

But, it's the internet. Take it for what it is.
Entertainment????

DUKE-1
01-03-2014, 10:56 AM

LC

as this law started in 1800.s as there was no other proof other then having the paper lic on your person. Indeed an officer can call in to confirm your up to date with any lic reguirment. better buy a lotto ticket. lol

H380
01-03-2014, 11:42 AM

I wonder why ppl who have multiple suspensions in under 6 months and then an outright ban, sign up and keep coming back to this site.
I think we must be a pretty good bunch to be around if members keep coming back.
As far as tall stories go, i miss The Welder. He was much better at spinning a yarn.

Entertainment????
So I'm supposed to keep track of everyone that has been banned or suspended ? Wish I had that much time .. I was more upset by the way folks figured the officer hadn't done his job than whether or not someone had their licence with them .

Gust
01-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Agreed . Same guys on this post that are upset about the officer not checking the licence probably woulda kept the lost fishing hut on another thread and are probably the same guys who put the bottle of ketchup cap side up at the Denny's and the same guys who come to two completely different conclusions from two completely different sets of information like that guy on the thread who figured people were lying thieves because they saw a blue car. BetLupin takes his licence next time .. Lesson learned , nobody got hurt , lost an eye , etc ..:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Fixed it for you.

CanuckShooter
01-03-2014, 08:30 PM

Entertainment????

I thought so, even managed to get called a nazi. :-)

bsmitty27
01-03-2014, 09:04 PM

Entertainment????

Ill bite on this!
I wasn't reeled in to anything by op. I stated my ideas reguardless of who was posting. This is the deph I read in to members here. Cat is a knowledgable resource and got me interested in single shots, Ken seems like a stand up guy, It's great that he puts together the PIF he does a great job.
On the other hand someone's trying to reel me in now. I'm out.
Brad

H380
01-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Fixed it for you.

Thanx Gust , I forgot that part ..:sHa_shakeshout:

Pincherguy
01-05-2014, 08:34 AM
I personally think that although yes you should have your license that the Fish Cops must be able to phone a certain number and find out if you have a license based on your name/address.

If they can't do this it just goes to show you how backwards and slow our society still is since they have had the technology to easily do this for decades now.

I think they have computers in their trucks, they punch in your win # and check you out.

lannie
01-05-2014, 08:58 AM
I think they have computers in their trucks, they punch in your win # and check you out.

Do they not need cell coverage to achieve this?

waterninja
01-05-2014, 02:38 PM
last time i was checked by co's was on the river. they took down everyones info. for some reason and i got heck for having my wifes license in my backpack. the only time my wife fishes is with me so i keep our licenses together in waterproof wallet but i guess that is illegal.
they were polite and friendly and one of them almost fell in the river getting out of boat.

Dale S
01-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Hey mntgiant,

Do you like fish sticks?

That was a good call.

wellpastcold
01-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Hey mntgiant,

Do you like fish sticks?

Well done Bee. Another one bites the dust.