PDA

View Full Version : Pale walleye?

MitchR
01-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Hey guys, My buddy caught this the other day. It was weird to see it in person, the picture doesn't do it justice. It was nearly all white with very pale green on the back. Any idea what could make it this way? I caught one a couple days later in the same spot that was very bright gold and green. Same sized fish too. I am lost haha

Kim473
01-03-2014, 04:37 AM
That one most deffinatly got a little too much sun in the summer.

chuck0039
01-03-2014, 08:05 AM
I caught a perch a few years ago that was almost white as well, F&W said it was due to lack of oxygen in the water.

fishermansfriend
01-03-2014, 08:09 AM
looks like a lake winnipeg wally! nice fish pale or not..

EZM
01-03-2014, 08:09 AM
That walleye is from down east ............ eastern creep n' bum pickerel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_walleye

Other than that, if it was caught out here, could be a simple genetic defect effecting it's pigmentation ....... pretty cool catch either way.

Commander B
01-03-2014, 08:57 AM
75%. Are that colour.

B.

cube
01-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Hey guys, My buddy caught this the other day. It was weird to see it in person, the picture doesn't do it justice. It was nearly all white with very pale green on the back. Any idea what could make it this way? I caught one a couple days later in the same spot that was very bright gold and green. Same sized fish too. I am lost haha

My guess is that, as walleye have the ability to change color, that walleye was spending some time in fairly shallow water. It would then have white colored ice just above him and if there were a light colored bottom, voila light colored walleye. You can see this if you leave walleye in a white live well. You can also see this on walleye caught ice fishing on large shallow flats, on lake Winnipeg for instance.

italk2u
01-03-2014, 08:58 AM
I read somewhere that some species, walleye included, adapt to the type of bottom on the lake. In other words, if it's a sandy bottom, like Lake Winnipeg, they are usually light-coloured. If it's a weedier bottom they are darker.

Duster
01-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Let me guess its from crawling? Use to catch them all the time that color outta there. And just my theory but its from the type of bottom it likes ad cuz its likes shallower water most of the time. Dunno if im right just my 2 cents.

pinelakeperch
01-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Let me guess its from crawling? Use to catch them all the time that color outta there. And just my theory but its from the type of bottom it likes ad cuz its likes shallower water most of the time. Dunno if im right just my 2 cents.

I've caught a variety of walleye from Crawling, very strange walleye there!

bogwalker
01-03-2014, 01:40 PM
My buddy's kid caught a walleye like that out of eagle lake. It made me wonder if it was ill or something..

dodgeboy1979
01-03-2014, 02:56 PM
caught alot of walleye in the NSR this summer that were pale like that, i was thinking it had something to do with not getting enough sunlight in the water. IDK just a thought.

MitchR
01-03-2014, 09:20 PM
My buddy's kid caught a walleye like that out of eagle lake. It made me wonder if it was ill or something..

Is your buddy Lyle? haha

fish99
01-04-2014, 10:03 AM

did you get your buddies truck unstuck.

EZM
01-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Souless Zombie Fish ............

Walleye definitely exhibit color variation - but that seems outside the normal spectrum - but who knows.

I lived in Calgary 20 years ago - and I certainly don't remember walleye being that color, or any unusual color out of Eagle Lake ....... but I could be wrong ........

I know the river fish were always much darker ....... but that eye looks white.

bogwalker
01-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Is your buddy Lyle? haha

Lol nope.

Bundo1980
01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
We caught a pile that color in the Smoky River this summer. They tasted the same as the old golden walleye did!