PDA

View Full Version : unauthorized shack use

ruttnbuckcojack
01-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Me and kids went out to our shack on sylvan in the am, to find that our had been used and they burnt our fire wood used our shack. First off my kids were looking to fish all day but the heat situation might be hard to do. Second **** off I build it for our family not yours

BeeGuy
01-04-2014, 11:41 AM
There is already a disgruntled ice fishers thread here (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=2267775#post2267775).

Look on the bright side, they could have burned it to the ground.

CanuckShooter
01-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Don't you lock up ??

waterninja
01-04-2014, 01:08 PM
sorry to hear about what happened. burning all your firewood is pretty low.
seems like every ice season this happens to someone.

CanadianBadass
01-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Me and kids went out to our shack on sylvan in the am, to find that our had been used and they burnt our fire wood used our shack. First off my kids were looking to fish all day but the heat situation might be hard to do. Second **** off I build it for our family not yours

If your in the city, I have 2 bags of wood in my garage you and your kids are welcome to come take anytime man !

Better luck next time, Hope your kids get out !

ruttnbuckcojack
01-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Last time I locked up they ripped the door off. They didnt wreck anything or steal nothing which was appreciated. But thats not the issue if the father in-law didnt bring wood would have been a short day

DannyBourgoin
01-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Sorry about all that happened to you . some people are Rude

DannyBourgoin
01-04-2014, 02:59 PM
here in ontario we had 5 ice huts stolen .all gear and wood too Nasty people

Ken07AOVette
01-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Time for a new lake

fishermansfriend
01-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Time for a new lake

x2 sucks but its true cause it will probly continue to happen again and again...

bwackwabbit
01-04-2014, 03:16 PM
If your in the city, I have 2 bags of wood in my garage you and your kids are welcome to come take anytime man !

Better luck next time, Hope your kids get out !

Good on ya!

deanstroyer
01-04-2014, 03:27 PM
like someone on this forum said " locks only keep the honest guys out"

jaystev
01-04-2014, 04:08 PM
like someone on this forum said " locks only keep the honest guys out"
Agreed, I find locks also pique kids curiosity and theyll break em just to see whats locked up.

sleslie
01-04-2014, 04:12 PM
I don't understand what the big problem is, nothing was damaged or vandalized, no one was hurt, a little bit of firewood was burnt, get over it. If you don't like it than feel free to remove your shack from our lake when you are done for the day. This seems like biggest waste of forum space on the site. Thanks

Bigdad013
01-04-2014, 04:14 PM
I don't understand what the big problem is, nothing was damaged or vandalized, no one was hurt, a little bit of firewood was burnt, get over it. If you don't like it than feel free to remove your shack from our lake when you are done for the day. This seems like biggest waste of forum space on the site. Thanks

Was it you in the shack? :thinking-006:

kevinhits
01-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Was it you in the shack? :thinking-006:

Sounds like it.. What a dirtbag! Our lake! Your lake?

Winch101
01-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Is send the guy a Xmas card and pay for the wood.....

kevinhits
01-04-2014, 04:21 PM

Your an idiot!!! The worst kind on the forum!

TheCodGod
01-04-2014, 04:21 PM
I could understand if u get stranded in a storm a_nd. need to borrow an unlocked shack happened to me but we left a note with. some money for the wood we burnned. but to break a locked door and burn all i guys wood just beacuse u don't have that ur self
makees me sick. anglers that will stoop that low_give ur head a shake:sign0176:

CanuckShooter
01-04-2014, 04:23 PM

Heartless.....:snapoutofit:

Is this what people are talking about when they say people are entitled these days?? You don't have to do any work, just squat in someone elses shack and don't even have the decency to bring your own wood. :thinking-006:

BeeGuy
01-04-2014, 04:24 PM
I could understand if u get stranded in a storm a_nd. need to borrow an unlocked shack happened to me but we left a note with. some money for the wood we burnned. but to break a locked door and burn all i guys wood just beacuse u don't have that ur self
makees me sick. anglers that will stoop that low_give ur head a shake:sign0176:

never said it was locked or broken.

kevinhits
01-04-2014, 04:27 PM
never said it was locked or broken.

Does it really matter? If it is not your shack, stay
Out of it!

TheCodGod
01-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Last time I locked up they ripped the door off. They didnt wreck anything or steal nothing which was appreciated. But thats not the issue if the father in-law didnt bring wood would have been a short day

Right here he did

sleslie
01-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Wow, guess I'm a dirtbag and an idiot for having an opinion different than yours. I've never fished on Sylvan Lake in my life so no it was not me. If this was on a private lake i could understand the frustration, but come on, a public lake where everyone has access to it and absolutely no damage done? If something so insignificant ruins your day and you have to cry about it on a forum then why not just remove your shack at the end of the day?

BeeGuy
01-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Is this really the place to rant about losing a few pieces of firewood or people setting up at your spot etc etc etc.??????

kevinhits
01-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Wow, guess I'm a dirtbag and an idiot for having an opinion different than yours. I've never fished on Sylvan Lake in my life so no it was not me. If this was on a private lake i could understand the frustration, but come on, a public lake where everyone has access to it and absolutely no damage done? If something so insignificant ruins your day and you have to cry about it on a forum then why not just remove your shack at the end of the day?

You lost all credibility here...as far as I am
Concerned...
Think first...then type!

kevinhits
01-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Is this really the place to rant about losing a few pieces of firewood or people setting up at your spot etc etc etc.??????

Totally missing the ethical point here!

Please respect other people's property..

sleslie
01-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Concerned...
Think first...then type!

Your approval of my comments means nothing to me, i find it comical that i could have a more civilized conversation with a 6 year old than i can on here, why all the name calling on such a ridiculous topic?

deanstroyer
01-04-2014, 04:45 PM

would you be ok with someone coming and taking your boat out in the summer, just because its in the water already, and nobody owns the lake? who cares if they burn a little gas as long as they dont sink it.

our shack had the lock grinded off at sylvan last year as well

pickrel pat
01-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Big deal. you leave your stuff out there its a gamble you take. this is the real world not a happy walt Disney show. op.....sucks your firewood was used. if you leave your stuff out for joe public to access your asking for it. sucks it has to be that way but that's how the real world rolls...... tree stands anyone? I hope nobody is shocked.

sleslie
01-04-2014, 04:54 PM
would you be ok with someone coming and taking your boat out in the summer, just because its in the water already, and nobody owns the lake? who cares if they burn a little gas as long as they dont sink it.

our shack had the lock grinded off at sylvan last year as well

I remove my boat from the water when i am done with it for the day, seems like a simple solution for me to avoid that situation. I didn't come on here to be a ********, just stating my opinion, i am truly sorry for offending so many good people with my comments. If it helps, i have a decent stack of firewood in my backyard that i would be willing to give out to all the people unfortunate enough to have had theirs burnt by the no good d-bags out there.

deanstroyer
01-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I remove my boat from the water when i am done with it for the day, seems like a simple solution for me to avoid that situation. I didn't come on here to be a ********, just stating my opinion, i am truly sorry for offending so many good people with my comments. If it helps, i have a decent stack of firewood in my backyard that i would be willing to give out to all the people unfortunate enough to have had theirs burnt by the no good d-bags out there.

im not offended, im sure alot of guys spend lots of time and money building and maintaining their shacks, i think it is rude for someone to assume its open to anyone to use , strictly because of the fact it is on public ice. you just like to hope people have more respect for others belongings.

rielbowhunter
01-04-2014, 05:07 PM
I feel the same about this as I do about the people that leave there camper in the woods when they are not there, or tree stands. But I really don't have the answer that works for everyone. But I know its not fair for everyone.

sleslie
01-04-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm not trying to stir up any more trouble here, but i do have a question. If i was to leave my shack out on the ice on a public lake, is it by law considered a piece of private property, or like a hunting stand on crown land considered public property? If it is considered by law to be still private property than my first general assumptions are wrong, and my firewood will all be donated to the poor souls who had theirs burnt.

Kyle
01-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Your an idiot!!! The worst kind on the forum!

The irony...maybe you should learn the difference between your and you're before calling other people idiots.

deanstroyer
01-04-2014, 05:26 PM
if i saw a tree stand in a bush i might use it(although you are taking a chance, because you dont know who might show up to use it ,or when), if i found a blind i would not use it.

if i found a chair on the ice i would probably sit in it. but a shack i would not enter it

^ these are assuming I, for some reason did not come remotely prepared for what i intended to do . fish, hunt etc

thats my 2 cents

Hilgy
01-04-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm not trying to stir up any more trouble here, but i do have a question. If i was to leave my shack out on the ice on a public lake, is it by law considered a piece of private property, or like a hunting stand on crown land considered public property? If it is considered by law to be still private property than my first general assumptions are wrong, and my firewood will all be donated to the poor souls who had theirs burnt.

I asked this question when i first built my shack years ago. I was told that when its left on the lake it is basically free game. I've always treated mine like i do a cabin i find in the woods.

The biggest problem is the major lack of respect today. I have spent more than a few nights in cabins that i dont own but always left them in better shape then i found them. Always cut at least as much wood as i burned and left any unperishables for the next guy.

I have been lucky and no one has damaged my hut but i have showed up a few times and had no wood left so now i always bring a little just in case.

jaystev
01-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Really the only thing wrong is they didnt replace the firewood. Unlocked shack on the ice strangers used it and no damage? came out on top in that deal. I was under the impression that shantys were like trappers/hunters cabins? My family has built four and theyre all used regularily, by many people. A few times Weve shown up and found them occupied but they happily vacated. Bonus was it was already warmed up! I understand being ticked off about the firewood but look on the bright side. Ive built three shacks in my life two have been burnt to the ice by kids out at wab. Its just the chance you take. Maybe next time you wont forget to bring firewood. :sEm_oops2:

kevinhits
01-04-2014, 06:27 PM
The irony...maybe you should learn the difference between your and you're before calling other people idiots.

Oh... Keep under the bridge troll.. Or should
I say spelling police..!!!

coors04
01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck. It seems to me that back in the good old days when parents used to spank there kids this **** didn't happen. I wouldn't dream of doing something like that for many reasons but one main one is I can't imagine what my parents and family would think of me ( unless like already said its an emergency in which case there should be a note or something) I realize that it's a rush by leaving stuff out but as sportsmen we should all respect each others stuff. I have walked buy countless boats at different lake that are full of rods and gear with no one in sight. It should be common sense to leave others thing alone.

Redfrog
01-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Another time and another place. We weren't saints as kids, but if it didn't belong to us we left it alone. Pick something up , ask yourself "Is this mine" if the answer was no, you left it alone. easy peasy.

We loved to fish. hard or soft water and it was cold for kids in rubber boots and two pair of jeans on. When we came across an empty shack we tried to locate an owner to see if we could use it when they weren't. We were never refused access. Respect was expected and the reward was respect returned.
I never saw a locked shack or a locked cabin until 20 years ago. Sad really.

I'll put my shack out this week with my contact info on it. I hope someone has the courtesy to call about using it.

Bigspiker
01-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Being new to the forum I am very surprised at the lack of respect on here ,never mind on the ice
Seems the guys who post the most know the least !!!
One bone head in particular who seems to want to just inflame everyone on just about every topic
How do you nominate the loudmouths who sit around with no life and all the time in the world to sit on AO just so you can hide behind you computer and be the A hole you are ? Go fishing already and shut the hell up unless you can contribute to the topic
Yes u know who you are
Furthermore if it's not yours don't touch it !!!! Simple
GET IT ! Most albertans Do
Oh and I've had 7 tree stand ripped off in 26 yrs of bowhunting !

Rig 44
01-04-2014, 07:05 PM

Its guys and attiudes like yours that ruin it for every one if its not yours don't touch it he worked hard to build that shack he paid for it not you so stay out or get stuffed down the hole

sleslie
01-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Its guys and attiudes like yours that ruin it for every one if its not yours don't touch it he worked hard to build that shack he paid for it not you so stay out or get stuffed down the hole

Relax a bit man, he just had some wood burnt, no need for violence or threats. I'm fairly confident in saying that a guy like me has never ruined a fishing day for anyone ever, and my attitude is absolutely not going to be affected by your tough guy talk. It sounds to me like the law says that once you leave something out on the ice its free for anyone to use, no longer private property. He very well may have worked hard to pay for that shack, and thankfully there was absolutely no damage or vandalism done to it. Maybe you would also like some free firewood.

fish gunner
01-04-2014, 07:17 PM
I dont own a permanent shack , conditions would in part affect my first contact with a dweller. If its harsh out I would have no issue with respectful use. As the esteemed RF suggested, contact info on the structure would give a guy a heads up . With the op's dilemma "hey guy I used up your firewood, will see you right asap".

Rig 44
01-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Its peaple that think like that wreck it for everyone if its not yours you have no right beening in it plain and simple you did'nt pay for or build it its not yours to use leave other peaples stuff alone!!!

sleslie
01-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Its peaple that think like that wreck it for everyone if its not yours you have no right beening in it plain and simple you did'nt pay for or build it its not yours to use leave other peaples stuff alone!!!

That is some terrible spelling.

Redfrog
01-04-2014, 07:31 PM
I dont own a permanent shack , conditions would in part affect my first contact with a dweller. If its harsh out I would have no issue with respectful use. As the esteemed RF suggested, contact info on the structure would give a guy a heads up . With the op's dilemma "hey guy I used up your firewood, will see you right asap".

Even a phone call, so you know to bring some wood. I hate not having wood when I need it.,:scared:

fish gunner
01-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Even a phone call, so you know to bring some wood. I hate not having wood when I need it.,:scared:

Not an issue ive encountered , a little, heads up sure wood help .

1bluZebec
01-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Lots of threads on here get a lot of negative heated comments that aren't necessary but it makes an entertaining thread:sHa_sarcasticlol: in the end like stated a few times, no matter what the rules if its not yours leave it alone or ask about it. Or even better, use,buy and make your own stuff and we would all be fine. Another good idea from one of the previous posts was to put your information on it with maybe a nice message saying something along the lines of using with respect and if possible call and let me know. Goes along way:) being honest and respectful. Get along everyone too many people fighting already in this world.:love0025:lol

rasbok
01-04-2014, 07:45 PM
x2.

Concerned...
Think first...then type!

kevinhits
01-04-2014, 08:03 PM
That is some terrible spelling.

"FORGET" the spelling...Get the "POINT"

kevinhits
01-04-2014, 08:16 PM
I drove by at least 10 shacks on Newell last week and had one sitting beside me today.....Would I think of invading someone else's property...Absolutely not....They built it, brought it onto the lake, supplied it with wood etc..They own it whether on private or public property....

As suggested in a post earlier, if my truck broke down, and it was life or death...Then yes...But I would leave a note..when rescued that is..LOl.. Saying Thank you and I will replace the wood, canned beans or whatever I used plus TIP.....This is the respect that needs to be shown in today's society.....

pickrel pat
01-04-2014, 08:31 PM
I drove by at least 10 shacks on Newell last week and had one sitting beside me today.....Would I think of invading someone else's property...Absolutely not....They built it, brought it onto the lake, supplied it with wood etc..They own it whether on private or public property....

As suggested in a post earlier, if my truck broke down, and it was life or death...Then yes...But I would leave a note..when rescued that is..LOl.. Saying Thank you and I will replace the wood, canned beans or whatever I used plus TIP.....This is the respect that needs to be shown in today's society.....

Dont think anyone is saying its ok to do. When you see burnt down shacks and runover shacks etc..... Used firewood doesnt seem that bad. Not good.......just not that bad. Nobody is condoning it that I can see.......slow down...lol.

Pixel Shooter
01-04-2014, 09:06 PM
blah blah blah blah blah............ fishing forum at it's finest as usual :thinking-006: