PDA

View Full Version : Little Buddy Heater

curtz
01-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Just bought one of the 3000-9000 btu today for the ice fishing tent, just wondering if I should have bought the big one.

GregT
01-04-2014, 05:40 PM
you should be fine. two weeks ago it was -38 heading up to la nonne and i had my coat hanging up in my tent. it was super toasty.

SCHOOCH
01-04-2014, 05:40 PM
All depends on how big your tent is........i have a 4-6 man tent and it would be too small i was told.....i just went with the heater that attaches to the top of a 20 lb tank and that does the trick.

StillHunter1
01-04-2014, 05:42 PM
If that's the smallest one, yes, you should have gone for the next size up in my opinion. I may be crazy, but I slept in my ground blind (very little insulation compared to an ice hut - albeit smaller) in November in sub -15 degree cel is and used the smallest little buddy. I didn't notice any difference in temperature inside the tent with the heater on vs. off unless my face and hands were directly above the element. It didn't even throw enough heat to prevent thick frost from forming over the entire inside of the tent, roof and walls.

wellpastcold
01-04-2014, 05:43 PM
How big is the shack you are using? If it is a tent is it insulated?

EZM
01-04-2014, 05:44 PM
I think it depends on the tent size and if it's insulated or not, and, of course, the amount of wind and the outside tempurature.

I have the BIG Buddy and run it lowest setting (3000 BTU's) on my 949i Eskimo tent (8 x 8 insulated) and it get very warm in there even with the door zipped open a little on each side.

Last time out it was -23 ............ we had the doors partially cracked on both sides so we wouldn't overheat.

Turning it on high would make you a Donair !!!!!!!!!!!

DisplacedCaper
01-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Bigger is always better, but the little buddy in a 4 man, you will have your coat off like the other guy said, and even turning it onto low at times. I've also used it at -25 in an 18ft camper and it worked well enough to crawl out of the sleeping bag and get dressed.

Randyandkim
01-04-2014, 06:01 PM
We have the little buddy and the buddy (I think it's the mid sized one). 6 man pop up tent. Little buddy worked good on warmer days, we had the buddy out today (not sure how cold it was but it was -20 or colder I'm sure) and it was ok in the tent but not warm enough to take yur coat off. if I buy again Ill just get the biggest one and turn it down or open a flap if need be.

HunterDave
01-04-2014, 07:02 PM
I've also used it at -25 in an 18ft camper and it worked well enough to crawl out of the sleeping bag and get dressed.

I hope that you aren't running it while you're sleeping. That's a pretty good way to die.

When it's real cold out my Little Buddy just takes the chill off but I wouldn't say that it's warm in my 2 man flip up. It's still cool but tolerable. If you want jacket off warm when it's real cold then yeah, you should have gotten the Big Buddy or a sunflower heater for on top of a propane tank.

DisplacedCaper
01-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Lol no Hunter, just to help get in and out of the sleeping bag. Fresh thermals, a good sleeping bag, and few well placed hand warmers, and no need for a heater ;)

Swrmacmullin
01-04-2014, 10:01 PM
I just bought the same heater and i went out today to field test in, in my buddies 4 man tent, him and i stayed nice and warm- not too warm mind you, in minus 35. For the extra money i wouldnt get the bigger one, the bigger one uses a lot more gas and is a lot more heavier with hooking up two small tanks on it. Mind you i rigged up a system to use my 20lb tank :sHa_shakeshout:

Mudder Man
01-05-2014, 05:32 AM
I had the smaller one ( which someone stoled ) and now have the big one of the Buddy heaters. The big one does have a fan on it which does make a big difference in the larger shack which I like. Just make sure if you are going to use a Hose and 20lb tanks that you buy a Filter. I didn't with my small one and it gummed up the Regulator. I guess if I would have read the instructions I would have known that. It cost me more to have the Regulator shipped to me then the cost of the Regulator. That wasn't the big problem though its just I was without a Heater for that time.

They say you should change your Filter every year but I have had mine on for 3 yrs and my Heater see's a lot of use as I also use it to heat the Garage when I am cutting Meat or doing some work on my Vehicles.

My 2 cents

MM

Kim473
01-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Bigger is better as you can turn it to the lower setting if needed. Can turn the big one down but the little one you can't turn it up. Can cook on the big one as well with a grate made for it.
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab219/kim780473/PB110066.jpg (http://s865.photobucket.com/user/kim780473/media/PB110066.jpg.html)
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab219/kim780473/PB110064.jpg (http://s865.photobucket.com/user/kim780473/media/PB110064.jpg.html)
I have mine on a 20lb tank with hose and filter.

Gillfisher
01-05-2014, 08:24 AM
I have a little buddy heater it is perfect for my 2 man hut, last time I used it at -20 I barely needed a jacket in my tent

CNP
01-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Most everyone has 20 lb propane tanks. For $75 or less you can get one of these:

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/755-405-ffffff/opplanet-texsport-propane-deluxe-heater-14217.jpg

The Little Buddy heater goes through 1 lb tanks in about 5 hours. Two a day when fishing or hunting and when the temp gets cold in your hunting blind with the windows open..........the Little Buddy doesn't cut it. I've got both the Little Buddy and the fixture for the 20 lb propane tank. If I were to only have one heater......it would not be the Little Buddy. 20 lb propane tanks fit perfectly into a milk crate also.

TMLhammy
01-06-2014, 02:43 PM
I used little buddy in a two man pop tent yesterday at Spray. Temp said -31 when we parked the truck and it kept two of us warm all morning.

P.S. no wind at Spray yesterday, if you were waiting for the one day a year that happens it was yesterday. Sorry men.

Stinky Buffalo
01-06-2014, 03:07 PM
I've been eyeing the "Hunting Buddy" heater that Cabelas sells (http://www.cabelas.ca/product/60239/mr-heater-hunting-buddy-portable-heater)...

Seems to be the perfect size - Not as big as the Big Buddy, but not as limited as the Little Buddy or Portable Buddy... Might be worth a look...

aulrich
01-06-2014, 03:26 PM
I have the buddy heater, it's not quite enough for my 6'x12' tent, warmer than -15 it is OK. I had thought about the sunflower heater but when we have to walk on any sort of distance the 20lb bottle seems like to much of a PIA.

That hunting buddy might be the ticket. at first glance I thought it was just a camo version but it has 1/3rd more btu than mine that should keep anything 6x6 and less real comfy, not sure about my bigger tent.

Ironically at this point I am not sure I want a bigger heater or a smaller tent :)

densa44
01-06-2014, 04:08 PM
When it is cold in the tent, go home sit on the couch and watch the fireplace on T.V.

Careful with the fumes!

DiabeticKripple
01-06-2014, 04:46 PM
there are 3 sizes of buddy heaters. little buddy is the smallest and it is pictured above on the white propane tank. the portable buddy is the middle size and is great in my 949i tent. pack some snow around the bottom and itll get over 20*C. the big buddy IMO would be good in a 6man+ sized tent.

huntsfurfish
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
I have the buddy heater, it's not quite enough for my 6'x12' tent, warmer than -15 it is OK. I had thought about the sunflower heater but when we have to walk on any sort of distance the 20lb bottle seems like to much of a PIA.

That hunting buddy might be the ticket. at first glance I thought it was just a camo version but it has 1/3rd more btu than mine that should keep anything 6x6 and less real comfy, not sure about my bigger tent.

Ironically at this point I am not sure I want a bigger heater or a smaller tent :)

There are also 5 and 11 pound tanks available at Canadian Tire.

Chisholm77
01-06-2014, 05:34 PM
It was -30 at spray yesterday and I didn't want to shut down my buddy heater to setup my Coleman stove. Was inspired by this and another thread to try this.

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r666/chisholm771/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsa9f88dd3.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/chisholm771/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsa9f88dd3.jpg.html)

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r666/chisholm771/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc801cc29.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/chisholm771/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc801cc29.jpg.html)

A couple grilled cheeses and a warm tent made the trip a good one!

muskokagould
01-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Most everyone has 20 lb propane tanks. For $75 or less you can get one of these:

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/755-405-ffffff/opplanet-texsport-propane-deluxe-heater-14217.jpg

The Little Buddy heater goes through 1 lb tanks in about 5 hours. Two a day when fishing or hunting and when the temp gets cold in your hunting blind with the windows open..........the Little Buddy doesn't cut it. I've got both the Little Buddy and the fixture for the 20 lb propane tank. If I were to only have one heater......it would not be the Little Buddy. 20 lb propane tanks fit perfectly into a milk crate also.

same got both little buddy is alright on cool days in small tent that's about it.
anyone wants mine sell it for cheap haha

pope
01-06-2014, 06:10 PM
The Little buddy has the low oxygen shut off and tip over shut off - some good safety features. The sunflower heater does not.

Hunter Hank
01-07-2014, 12:22 PM
I also have a little buddy heater. We were out last weekend at Gull lake in a 3 man Eskimo tent and it wasn't warm in the tent.Also the heater kept shutting down. We had the vents open in the tent to vent to carbon out and i kept changing propane tanks to keep it going. Not sure why it was doing that. It is brand new first time i used it. It was a gift from my wife last Christmas 2012. But never used it until now.I cant take it back to Cabelas for refund . Not sure what do to with it. Going to buy the bigger one now. I hope it works better!

Geezle
01-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I also have a little buddy heater. We were out last weekend at Gull lake in a 3 man Eskimo tent and it wasn't warm in the tent.Also the heater kept shutting down. We had the vents open in the tent to vent to carbon out and i kept changing propane tanks to keep it going. Not sure why it was doing that. It is brand new first time i used it. It was a gift from my wife last Christmas 2012. But never used it until now.I cant take it back to Cabelas for refund . Not sure what do to with it. Going to buy the bigger one now. I hope it works better!

If it fired up after swapping out propane tanks chances are your tanks were too cold to give you enough pressure for the heater to run properly.

aulrich
01-07-2014, 04:39 PM
Did you use bulk propane or refilled 1 lbers

If you did it's possible it's plugged, if you use bulk with them you need to add a filter to the line.

TylerThomson
01-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Where do you get this filter you guys are talking about I've never seen one before. I got the big buddy and have been running it for almost two years on a 20 lb tank no issues so far. If a filter will prolong the life of the unit though I would like to get one.

huntsfurfish
01-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Where do you get this filter you guys are talking about I've never seen one before. I got the big buddy and have been running it for almost two years on a 20 lb tank no issues so far. If a filter will prolong the life of the unit though I would like to get one.

They don't recommend using without filter.
Filters are available at Princess Auto, Peavey Mart.

Also Big buddy also can be run with the quick disconnect hose and no filter is needed then.

kinwahkly
01-07-2014, 08:15 PM
I've had one for the past years and it works great

Teamprotz
01-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Got a big buddy from TFH , best price. Haven't used it yet but needed to lose the tank top sunflower heater after it developed a leak and went up in flames ! Good thing my uncle was using it not my kids. They don't build them like they used to.

TylerThomson
01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Those tank top ones can be dangerous. me and a buddy were using one in a tent and I went to light a smoke and couldn't light my lighter after a few tries I clued in there wasn't enough oxygen. This is the one time smoking may have saved my life. Opened the doors on the tent up and made sure to keep the vents open after that. I've got little one and nephews and nieces and didn't want to risk using that thing again. When I saw the big buddy had a low oxygen and tip over sensor I was sold.

curtz
01-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Just bought one of the 3000-9000 btu today for the ice fishing tent, just wondering if I should have bought the big one.

I decided to take back the Portable Buddy and got the Big Buddy, man does that thing put out the heat.

wellpastcold
01-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Good idea. I'm sure you will be glad you did. It may use a little more propane, but you can easily just refill your 1pound cylinders or adapt it to run on a larger cylinder. Good fishing!

Jack&7
01-09-2014, 09:32 AM
I just wanted to throw out a word of caution...

Twice so far this year, I have noticed while fishing with other partners (and using their propane heaters) that we got into a low oxygen situation. Both times I noticed it because my eyes started to have a stinging/tingling sensation. The last time was using a double sunflower on the 20 lb tank...and it got so bad that I noticed I was having trouble breathing. I opened the vents on the 6x12 Clam Command Post and went outside for a breather. It got better after that.

I was telling the guys I was fishing with that the next time I go, I plan on bringing the CO monitor I have at home. I am extremely curious how high the CO levels were inside that tent that day and want to be able to measure that in case it happens again...

But hopefully it won't as I will be more careful next time...

Pay attention out there guys....and if you start feeling drowsy, GO OUTSIDE FOR A WALK!

Geezle
01-09-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm surprised how many people seem to be running into low oxygen situations with their heaters.

We all know about CO issues with propane heaters (we do, don't we?) yet Jack&7 mentioned opening up the vents in the tent AFTER noticing the stinging eyes. Why not before?

I run a sunflower heater in my QuickFish 3 all the time. When I set up the tent the first thing I do is open up the vents. I also always keep the top of my door open a bit. If I'm fishing with a tip-up there's usually some running in/out of the tent so the door is getting opened and ventilation isn't an issue, but if it's a day when I'm hunkered down inside I'll also open a window a bit on the side of the tent the wind is hitting to get a little extra fresh air blowing in.

CO/low oxygen issues are 100% preventable.

edit: sorry Jack&7, I don't mean to pick on ya, but your post helps make my point :)

EZM
01-09-2014, 10:28 AM
I purchased the Big Buddy, for maybe $20 more than the smaller sized ones so I can crank up the heat if we need to. It has never had to be turned up past the medium setting, and runs on the lowest setting most of the time. TFH had it on sale for $150 before Christmas. The guys at the TFH south Edmonton rock except for the one guy - you will know which one - he looks wierd.

The big buddy also has a battery operated fan ( 4 D sized batteries) to circulate the air - seems to work very well but I'm not sure how long the batteries will last out in the freezing temps and in the back of my truck and/or sitting in my cold garage between uses.

It does have a low O2 sensor and has shut off before - so I close the doors, but leave the zippers mostly open on my 8x8 insulated tent (949i Eskimo).

It keeps the tent toasty, and we won't fall asleep and die. Dieing is not on my agenda ...... not yet anyway.

I recently purchased a 11lb tank from Canadian Tire ($60), and a 8ft adapter hose ($30) as the 1lb tanks are expensive and do tend to freeze up as propane, when discharged, gets colder - so you never really seem to get 1lb of fuel out of the 1 lb tank. There must be conspiracy here masterminded by the propane suppliers association and/or freemasons.

This set up works well and thanks to this forum - I'm heading over to princess auto to get a in-line fuel filter as I was not aware this was required for a bulk tank ....... I guess contamination and condensation might be a problem without one ... makes sense. I will see if i can find someone in there with more than three good teeth to help me out.

Jack&7
01-09-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm surprised how many people seem to be running into low oxygen situations with their heaters.

We all know about CO issues with propane heaters (we do, don't we?) yet Jack&7 mentioned opening up the vents in the tent AFTER noticing the stinging eyes. Why not before?

I run a sunflower heater in my QuickFish 3 all the time. When I set up the tent the first thing I do is open up the vents. I also always keep the top of my door open a bit. If I'm fishing with a tip-up there's usually some running in/out of the tent so the door is getting opened and ventilation isn't an issue, but if it's a day when I'm hunkered down inside I'll also open a window a bit on the side of the tent the wind is hitting to get a little extra fresh air blowing in.

CO/low oxygen issues are 100% preventable.

edit: sorry Jack&7, I don't mean to pick on ya, but your post helps make my point :)

No worries Geezle...I am 100% guilty on this one. And I should know better as I have some extensive knowledge on the dangers of CO. If my experience/stupidity helped point out the dangers (yet again), I can take the public whipping for it. Haha...

All for the greater good, right?:bad_boys_20:

However, I should clarify: I never open the vents because I always have the bottom half of the zipper on the door open on the tent. Even then, the issue crept up on me (obviously it wasn't enough)...and then I opened the vents up top to ventilate the 'bad air'. Problem solved.

I am glad I had the knowledge to recognize what was going on, hence why I posted this. If someone didn't realize what was going on and dozed off (as I am sure some of us do while in the tent), things could turn out into a tragedy.

kevinhits
01-09-2014, 11:07 AM
No worries Geezle...I am 100% guilty on this one. And I should know better as I have some extensive knowledge on the dangers of CO. If my experience/stupidity helped point out the dangers (yet again), I can take the public whipping for it. Haha...

All for the greater good, right?:bad_boys_20:

However, I should clarify: I never open the vents because I always have the bottom half of the zipper on the door open on the tent. Even then, the issue crept up on me (obviously it wasn't enough)...and then I opened the vents up top to ventilate the 'bad air'. Problem solved.

I am glad I had the knowledge to recognize what was going on, hence why I posted this. If someone didn't realize what was going on and dozed off (as I am sure some of us do while in the tent), things could turn out into a tragedy.

Yeah Man....Soon as I entered your tent, eyes started getting wiery.....

I always open my vents up and get out of the tent for a breather every 10 or 15 minutes.....and try to keep my heater as low as possible..Unless it is -40..lol

This is a reason not to fish alone I guess...Someone always around to check up on the group.....

Keep safe guys

curtz
01-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Good idea. I'm sure you will be glad you did. It may use a little more propane, but you can easily just refill your 1pound cylinders or adapt it to run on a larger cylinder. Good fishing!

how are you refilling the 1 pound cylinders, were do you find a hose to do that off a bigger bottle.

TBark
01-09-2014, 09:53 PM
We have both the bottle top and Buddy heaters.
Bottle tops are hotter and louder than the Buddy's.
My Buddy's are hosed to 5 or 10 pound propane tanks.
Adapter Hoses are available anywhere, WalMart or Can Tire, $36 I believe.
One pound refill adapters from 20's are common now too.

TBark

wellpastcold
01-10-2014, 01:04 AM
how are you refilling the 1 pound cylinders, were do you find a hose to do that off a bigger bottle.

Google refilling one pound cylinders. There are good how to videos on the internet. The fittings are available locally. There are previous threads about it as well, just do a search. I learned about it from the previous thread. Good info

Hunter Hank
01-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Well i went to Cabelas and told them about the problems i am have with my little buddy heater.They asked if i had my receipt and i said i didn't. They gave me a Gift Certificate for the replacement cost of the heater and i got the biggest one with the fan for only $52.00 more and it was worth going back to Cabela's . Thank you Cabela's for making a loyal customer very happy!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

The Reel Deal
01-14-2014, 04:31 PM
I just wanted to throw out a word of caution...

Twice so far this year, I have noticed while fishing with other partners (and using their propane heaters) that we got into a low oxygen situation. Both times I noticed it because my eyes started to have a stinging/tingling sensation. The last time was using a double sunflower on the 20 lb tank...and it got so bad that I noticed I was having trouble breathing. I opened the vents on the 6x12 Clam Command Post and went outside for a breather. It got better after that.

I was telling the guys I was fishing with that the next time I go, I plan on bringing the CO monitor I have at home. I am extremely curious how high the CO levels were inside that tent that day and want to be able to measure that in case it happens again...

But hopefully it won't as I will be more careful next time...

Pay attention out there guys....and if you start feeling drowsy, GO OUTSIDE FOR A WALK!

if you take up smoking you're body will adapt to low oxygen environments hahah:bad_boys_20:

i'm usually in and out of my tent so many times that fresh air will get circulated. its those guys jigging all day long that best be cracking some windows!

curtz
01-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Well i went to Cabelas and told them about the problems i am have with my little buddy heater.They asked if i had my receipt and i said i didn't. They gave me a Gift Certificate for the replacement cost of the heater and i got the biggest one with the fan for only $52.00 more and it was worth going back to Cabela's . Thank you Cabela's for making a loyal customer very happy!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

You will be happy, had the big buddy out in the tent last Sat in all the wind, the wife was warm and happy.

Bigdad013
01-14-2014, 09:16 PM
I have the sunflower made by remington. Reading the instructions it told me how much ventilation is needed, which was 2 flaps on my tent, I do a 3rd to be safe, and it also has the tip over cutoff

crazyperch
01-31-2014, 11:00 AM
i have the buddy heater and im running a hose to a 20lb propane tank.
im just wondering if anyone has any tricks for bleeding the air out of the hose?

NEWB
01-31-2014, 11:45 AM
I run the little buddy most times with no problem. If the propane tank is left out side while driving to or from your destination then you may have an issue getting it started. I usually keep the propane tank inside my vehicle while transporting it to keep it warm.

Also remember to clean the heater one a year. It is very easy to do. The main thing you want to clean is the pilot tube and to blow out the ceramic plates. This will keep it in top notch condition.

To clean out the pilot tube is easy...

1) Make sure your tanks are disconnected
2) Take compressed air can and blow out the tube then use a Q-tip dipped in Rubbing Alcohol. If you don't have that and you have a female in the house you can use her nail polish remover. It is easier to ask for forgiveness then to beg for permission.
3) Insert the Q-tip down the pilot tube. You will need to go in about 1.5-2.0 inches. Twist and rotate the Q-tip on the way down and out. When you pull it out you want to make sure it is clean and free of cobwebs, carbon, critters. You may need to do this a few times with a new Q-tip each time.
4) Take compressed air and blow out the tube one final time.

5) Blow out the ceramic plates with compressed air. You will be surprised at how much dust comes out.
6)Remove the back plate, each model is different so look up your proceedure. Clean and inspect the pipes, tubes and main burner.

Hope this helps.

crazyperch
01-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the tips NewB.
but my problems is when i hook the hose up to the propane tank i have air in the hose and it needs to be bled.

only way i can do this is to hold the pilot switch down for about 5 mins (at least it seems that long) to get all the air out of the hose before the pilot will light and stay lite.

i was just wondering if anyone had any tricks to getting the air out of the hose quicker.

Thank you

dodgeboy1979
01-31-2014, 01:42 PM
that's the only way to bleed it Crazyperch