PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hot spots and secrets

Tomcatchesallthefish
01-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Hi I'm new here, was hoping to here where the hottest spots for the perch fish and the trouts. I want to thank you all so much:test:

jwloco
01-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Hi I'm new here, was hoping to here where the hottest spots for the perch fish and the trouts. I want to thank you all so much:test:

Good luck with that, maybe you should ask for credit card numbers and banking information. More likely to get that than a honey hole.

kevinhits
BAN:sHa_sarcasticlol:

:test:

Team Anzac

This should get interesting

skiwili
01-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Lake x,y and z

deanstroyer
01-04-2014, 08:43 PM
great trout spot 59.170298,-110.127168

Gust
01-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Good luck with that, maybe you should ask for credit card numbers and banking information. More likely to get that than a honey hole.

I was just going to give him my credit card number.

I tried pm'ing you from the highway this morning,, the Stavely road as a guess was probably much better than the #2 south at 6:00am. Hope you did well today.

Tomcatchesallthefish
01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
New to the area, don't know anyone, and have only got pikes. Hopefully some of you guys will give me a little bit of your help :sign0085:

H380
01-04-2014, 08:49 PM

You must be new .. Don't expect much for offers as fisherman here tend to be tight lipped about their honey holes . I'm not much of a fisherman so of no help sorry .

astepanuk
01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Hey man

So what part of the province so do you live in first off.

sparky660
01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Giving out some more info might help. Where are you from and how far do you want to travel?

Tomcatchesallthefish
01-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys I'm living in Edmonton and would like to stay close if I can

Tomcatchesallthefish
01-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Somebody messages me and said that I will be better off having private conversation, nobody will post secrets. If this is true? You can privately message me I would love to get some help

ericlin0122
01-04-2014, 09:19 PM
good luck buddy!

Tomcatchesallthefish
01-04-2014, 09:24 PM
good luck buddy!

Thanks! Hopefully I will get some hogs and beasts.

huntsfurfish
01-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks! Hopefully I will get some hogs and beasts.

I bet you will.

baptiste_moose
01-04-2014, 09:46 PM
The middle of the North Saskatchewan is pretty good for perch about this time of year. You'll need an auger extension. Husky jerks is what they're hitting on.

pikergolf
01-04-2014, 09:54 PM

Sounds like an Epic question.

Tomcatchesallthefish
01-04-2014, 09:59 PM
I don't think the river is frozen over everywhere yet

sparky660
01-04-2014, 10:19 PM
The middle of the North Saskatchewan is pretty good for perch about this time of year. You'll need an auger extension. Husky jerks is what they're hitting on.

Hopefully someone new to the sport doesn't take your sarcasm as something informative or useful. I guess it's easier to be a ***** around here then actually help out or walk away.

sparky660
01-04-2014, 10:23 PM
I don't think the river is frozen over everywhere yet

As you can tell its far easier to use the search function around here then getting quality help. As long as you aren't a abusing the system as most will automatically assume it's far easier to PM people or use the search function. Welcome to the forum, don't worry there are informative, helpful people here, just few and far between.

Gust
01-04-2014, 10:31 PM

Many people will read this post for what it is,,, some may take it as truth,, maybe get a mod to add a disclaimer that you were only making a potentially dangerous joke.

sparky660
01-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Many people will read this post for what it is,,, some may take it as truth,, maybe get a mod to add a disclaimer that you were only making a potentially dangerous joke.

Thanks gust. I thought the post was in bad taste, you handled it far better than me.

burbotman
01-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Sounds like an Epic question.

Bingo

Gust
01-04-2014, 10:42 PM
It's sad when the forum gets infected by the likes of a slew/lesw or an epicangler,,, suddenly every greenhorn who comes on gets the stink eye and accused of being an aka (which might be possible) and our tone of who we are and what we love gets sullied and the function of the forum deteriorates. just sayin.

linger
01-04-2014, 10:43 PM
theres perch in the north saskatchwan:) lmao

baptiste_moose
01-04-2014, 10:44 PM
I love AO but come on guys. It's sites like this that have destroyed our fishing. U wanna catch fish? Spend 2000$ on gas a winter and go find em like the rest of us do. Get skunked, get stuck, get frusterated and earn it. :snapoutofit:I've work my *^% off to find good lakes and predictable spots. I ain't about to go sharing where I catch " the big ones." Everyone wants a bloody handout. Take it for what it was. A joke. The fishing section is the cancerous disease that plagues AO.

Gust
01-04-2014, 10:46 PM
I love AO but come on guys. It's sites like this that have destroyed our fishing. U wanna catch fish? Spend 2000$ on gas a winter and go find em like the rest of us do. Get skunked, get stuck, get frusterated and earn it. :snapoutofit:I've work my *^% off to find good lakes and predictable spots. I ain't about to go sharing where I catch " the big ones." Everyone wants a bloody handout. Take it for what it was. A joke. The fishing section is the cancerous disease that plagues AO.

I completely agree,,, so how do we get it back to tips and techniques without divulging too much info?

sparky660
01-04-2014, 10:50 PM

I can respect a post like this over your first post. Giveing a newbie a push in the right direction is far more useful for our sport and this website if we get them started not be sarcastic right off the get go. Thats going to push many people away from this great hobby. It might be a joke to us that know better but to the ignorant your post could have deadly consequences.

burbotman
01-04-2014, 10:51 PM

Is information being requested or just entertainment?

coors04
01-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Hi. I live out by red deer so I'm not very familiar with lakes around edmonton but i know gull has some ok sized perch in it. I would suggest picking up Berry Michel's magazine. He lists 1500 lakes and rivers in Alberta and says what's in them and what size you can expect to catch. Some of the info in a little out in my opinion but that doesn't mean its not true. Either way its a great magazine to own with a lot of great info that will help you learn the lakes in your area. Best of luck

Zip-in-Z
01-04-2014, 11:04 PM

Hey ... you're more that welcome to try Sylvan Lake, drive out on RR21 follow the ice road to the village, lots of perch in that area.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Zip-z

baptiste_moose
01-04-2014, 11:05 PM
I completely agree,,, so how do we get it back to tips and techniques without divulging too much info?

Go to a lake. Drill a hole and see what happens. If you care enough about the sport then it's easy. Buy endless amount of tackle just to find out you only ever use 3 hooks. Try different jigging styles and keep a log according to temp, pressure and time off year. Save GPS co-ordinates. And don't forget to have fun! Aint that what it's all about. Maybe I was sharp but I've bought and paid for the right to state my opinion on something I've devoted my life to.

sparky660
01-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Is information being requested or just entertainment?

The problem being is that far to many assume that a newb is doing it for entertainment or being lazy.

sparky660
01-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Go to a lake. Drill a hole and see what happens. If you care enough about the sport then it's easy. Buy endless amount of tackle just to find out you only ever use 3 hooks. Try different jigging styles and keep a log according to temp, pressure and time off year. Save GPS co-ordinates. And don't forget to have fun! Aint that what it's all about. Maybe I was sharp but I've bought and paid for the right to state my opinion on something I've devoted my life to.

Now your learning Baptiste. Was a post like this to much ask the first time?

baptiste_moose
01-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Now your learning Baptiste. Was a post like this to much ask the first time?

No. Your 100% right. It just gets tiresome distinguishing between trolls and newbs. A better way for the thread to start would have been saying. " I'm green. Not looking for hot spots or handout just need to be pushed in the right direction." I should have bit my lip but with an intro like that, what do you expect? If he took a serious/courteous approach I might have as well! Read the wizard lake thread. That gentleman hit the nail on the head

sparky660
01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
No. Your 100% right. It just gets tiresome distinguishing between trolls and newbs. A better way for the thread to start would have been saying. " I'm green. Not looking for hot spots or handout just need to be pushed in the right direction." I should have bit my lip but with an intro like that, what do you expect? If he took a serious/courteous approach I might have as well! Read the wizard lake thread. That gentleman hit the nail on the head

I can see where you are coming from and I apologize for being an ***** towards you. I would hate to see a newbie make the Edmonton sun Monday morning because they mistook the intent of a post.

Gust
01-04-2014, 11:22 PM

Here Here,,, I was just thinking about "How to give tips without being to detailed", I mean that's what it's all about, being creative and observant, forever. How to give a nudge without hand-holding. I now think the safest manner is teaching a newb how to read water, but even this info would take an oaks worth of paper. How do old fishers take the Internet out of the sport, or rather, get people past this notion that fishing is an instantly attained craft?

Brandonkop
01-05-2014, 05:21 AM
Go try gull lake, pigeon, wabamun, sylvan. Or any of the big lakes over 2 hours north of edmonton are usually good. That should keep you busy. Otherwise watch my ice fishing videos for some other spots. Good luck.

omega50
01-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Two guys go fishing and only one comes back!!:sHa_shakeshout:

waterhawk
01-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Tom: It may help to tell us where you have come from. You may find an AO member from the same place that would be willing to help you.

rem338win
01-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Giving a single individual a hand up on where to do go and a few pointers is one thing. Turning it into a billboard on the internet is another.
And doing a good deed by giving a single individual these benefits in anonimity throught the internet can back fire as well. Who says that they don't like to paint billboards?

J D
01-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi. I live out by red deer so I'm not very familiar with lakes around edmonton but i know gull has some ok sized perch in it. I would suggest picking up Berry Michel's magazine. He lists 1500 lakes and rivers in Alberta and says what's in them and what size you can expect to catch. Some of the info in a little out in my opinion but that doesn't mean its not true. Either way its a great magazine to own with a lot of great info that will help you learn the lakes in your area. Best of luck

The Berry Michel's magazine is a good tool like said it is not 100% accurate but it is a good start for finding places to explore.

One thing I did find is the size of the average fish can be way off. I have had areas produce way smaller and some a lot bigger than mentioned in that mag.

EZM
01-05-2014, 11:00 AM

Me too ............ hotspots, tips and secrets ........... bring them my way ..... thanks guys!!!!

Feel free to PM me and feel free to provide GPS coordinates.

jaystev
01-05-2014, 11:18 AM
I think people have to realize that new people to the forum have no idea how jaded alberta fishermen have become. Posting things like the nsr in middle of winter.....not cool. regardless if you thought it was a joke i can pretty much guarantee someones going to try it. same with hastings lake a few years ago. Thing is I could give you gps coodinates for a perch spot and unless you know the proper technique/ bait you might not even catch one. Now to the op, Wabamun is cnr only but a good lake if you just want to catch a variety. 10-15 fow herring for pike small spoon and mealworms for whites and perch. For trout there are plenty of small trout lakes around edmonton, cheese or power bait will do the job. In my experience you just have to get out there and meet some people on the lake, theyre much more helpful in person, and less likely to send you on a wild goose chase.

Winch101
01-05-2014, 11:39 AM
I hope Tom didn't soil himself ,laughing his butt off at the balance of this
Thread . Like EZ I,d love to have some good spots pm,d to me ....
I think it's time for the people on here who aren't Dim Bulbs to quit
Pandering to these trolls and just let the concerned members deal
With these sociopaths .
Please pikeS , Hogs , beasts , epic your off your meds :angry3:

TROLLER
01-05-2014, 12:54 PM
With these sociopaths .

X2

sparky660
01-05-2014, 01:24 PM
With these sociopaths .

So do we just assume every newbie is a troll?

dfisherguy
01-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Try north buck or any lakes in the area can be good. Or try the lakes in the athabasca area. There are some great perch in those areas if your willing to search. I have not found the spots but I dont have time to fish more than 2 -3 times a year. But if you have time to search these areas will have BIG perch if you can find them.:)

208prov
01-05-2014, 01:40 PM

you couldnt of said it any better
Waiu waiu I never evre heard of that lake till i looked on this forum. The list of lakes go on.

burbotman
01-05-2014, 02:51 PM
So do we just assume every newbie is a troll?

No, but really? Did you see the title of the thread. I think the op is quite good at fishing......

I agree that we all can be better, but how much tolerance needs to be shown to those obviously undermining the process

wellpastcold
01-05-2014, 03:12 PM
With these sociopaths .

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

SNAPFisher
01-05-2014, 05:43 PM
With these sociopaths .

Best post I've read in awhile :wave:
With a posting name like Tomcathesallthefish....doesn't take a genious to figure it out. I know of one member here about 3 years ago that created 3-4 joke accounts. I managed to get a couple of them banned and shut down but I suspect there are still other lurking weenies out there. Cold weather brings then to the front...bored I guess.

Rovin
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM

Crybaby! Need a tissue for all your hard work?

baptiste_moose
01-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Crybaby! Need a tissue for all your hard work?

Sure buddy. I aint gonna bite. U having a bad night? Then stay off AO instead of picking fights. Your a nobody! Go ice fish the river pal.

Rovin
01-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Nope, no fights, just read your rude comment that you made earlier telling the newb to fish the river. Your an idiot.

baptiste_moose
01-05-2014, 09:18 PM
You should read the whole thread and then go join him. Good night!!

ballhunter
01-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Try coal lake south of beaumont good for perch and small pike. Good luck finding trout close to edmonton

sparky660
01-05-2014, 10:56 PM
No, but really? Did you see the title of the thread. I think the op is quite good at fishing......

I agree that we all can be better, but how much tolerance needs to be shown to those obviously undermining the process

Or just a newbie kid that could have worded it better. I don't assume and will give the person the benefit of the doubt.

338Bluff
01-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Or just a newbie kid that could have worded it better. I don't assume and will give the person the benefit of the doubt.

I wonder with the chosen handle.....

I'm going to go with entertainment. I think we should pm the authorities, what is the the limit for suckers? He is at 60 now and likely guilty of trolling with too many lines in the water as well LOL :sHa_sarcasticlol:

At least no one sent him out to Hastings......:scared0018:

So just in case the OP is serious. There are no well known/hot perch lakes under an hours drive from Edmonton (I might be fibbing a bit :innocent:). Use the search function here and check out Cross, Long, and Mons. They are not secrets so have at her. Otherwise I suggest you grab the regs, check what lakes have perch in them and fill up the truck.

$2000 bucks on fuel would be a conservative esimate if you are hard core. Find a buddy.

Good Luck:wave:

pinelakeperch
01-05-2014, 11:19 PM
I always give away my spots to people whom I know will respect the area and pay it forward. I don't believe in "spending $2,000 in gas" to find a fishing spot, that's ridiculous.

sparky660
01-05-2014, 11:30 PM
I wonder with the chosen handle.....

I'm going to go with entertainment. I think we should pm the authorities, what is the the limit for suckers? He is at 60 now and like guilty of trolling with too many lines in the water as well LOL :sHa_sarcasticlol:

At least no one sent him out to Hastings......:scared0018:

That could be the case and if it is no big loss as there is some info that would help a newbie should they come across this discussion. It's also an eye opener for a new guy to see the true colours of some members.

drhu22
01-06-2014, 03:16 AM

As you have learned specific locations and methods are sensitive subjects. That being said... buy 'Alberta Fishing Guide', and target chosen destination with worm, piece of shrimp, or maggot on a size 10/12 plain hook on or up to 6" off bottom. READ REGULATIONS to confirm if bait is allowed!!!!!! No barbed hooks!!!

Dale S
01-06-2014, 06:16 AM
As you have learned specific locations and methods are sensitive subjects. That being said... buy 'Alberta Fishing Guide', and target chosen destination with worm, piece of shrimp, or maggot on a size 10/12 plain hook on or up to 6" off bottom. READ REGULATIONS to confirm if bait is allowed!!!!!! No barbed hooks!!!

Sounds like someone better reread the regs. (No barbed hooks)

Geezle
01-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Try coal lake south of beaumont good for perch and small pike. Good luck finding trout close to edmonton

Trout are easy to find, just check the stocking list.

Chickacoo, Sauer, Star, Hermitage (right IN Edmonton), Morinville, Cardiff, East Pit etc.

Doubledroptine
01-06-2014, 08:08 AM
your best bet is to go to a lake like pigeon or buck lake, go where the other shacks are and set up where they are. Take a bottle of whiskey then go make a friend . Believe me it works. If someone came over and talked to me about what to use or how deep to fish, i would give all the info they need and maybe even a hook that has been working. Guys on the ice are way more friendly than this forum makes them sound!!

WhitefishLady
01-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Somebody messages me and said that I will be better off having private conversation, nobody will post secrets. If this is true? You can privately message me I would love to get some help

Yeah it's not personal it's more so we don't know who is lurking on the forum. Nobody wants hoards of people at their fishing spots especially if they go keep their limit every weekend. Too few lakes in AB for the number of anglers. Any I will send you a PM. Good luck!

NEWB
01-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Hey,

Your best bet is to to go to one of the wing night locations in Calgary or Edmonton. From there you can meet some great people, have a few laughs and tag along some fishing excursions.

Also check out this thread. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=53384

It helps to do some research as to what type of fish you are looking to target. Search the forums, Google, watch a few videos. Also don't be afraid to learn from others and share information and tricks.

I have learned a lot on here. This forum is what you make of it. If you are willing to help and pay it forward, share and experience it will come back to you 10 fold. If you come on here looking for honey holes or hotspots out of the gate and want to exploit them to catch the "trophies" not many people will help you.

jacenbeers
01-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Fish Pine Coulee reservoir.

hiddenwalleye
01-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Give the Boy all the Good Spots!!

:party0051:

MoFugger21
01-06-2014, 04:23 PM
The hot spots are as follows (in no particular order): Crawling Valley, McGregor, Frank, Travers, Keho, Pine Coulee, Clear, Badger, Chin, Frank, Grassy, Sherburne, St Mary, Newell, Frank, Horsefly, Rattlesnake, Forty Mile, Park Lake, Frank, Rolling Hills, Twin Valley, and lastly Frank.

You're welcome!

HuyFishin
01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
everyone needs to relax :snapoutofit:

kevinhits
01-06-2014, 05:27 PM
The hot spots are as follows (in no particular order): Crawling Valley, McGregor, Frank, Travers, Keho, Pine Coulee, Clear, Badger, Chin, Frank, Grassy, Sherburne, St Mary, Newell, Frank, Horsefly, Rattlesnake, Forty Mile, Park Lake, Frank, Rolling Hills, Twin Valley, and lastly Frank.

You're welcome!

HAHA...MO:sHa_sarcasticlol:

By the way....how far is Grassy from Sherburne and is Frank accessible from the south?

The Spruce
01-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Looks like this guy does catch all the fish....a 3 pager on a quick troll.
LOL.

BeeGuy
01-06-2014, 05:51 PM
No Fish For You!

kevinhits
01-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Looks like this guy does catch all the fish....a 3 pager on a quick troll.
LOL.

Don't want to waste a thread, now do we....Gotta have some fun too..lol

Winch101
01-06-2014, 06:08 PM
The facts are that Bee knows exactly who Tom is , they fished the
Frank Lake mud pout festival tournament 2012 , they get to weigh
In harvested cat tails as well as the Pouts . Finished 12thOut of 13 teams
No one goes home unhappy ,won an all expense paid weekend at the Milo
Lakeside Sheraton and recycling centre.
This is a very tight community this AO land

BeeGuy
01-06-2014, 06:13 PM
The facts are that Bee knows exactly who Tom is , they fished the
Frank Lake mud pout festival tournament 2012 , they get to weigh
In harvested cat tails as well as the Pouts . Finished 12thOut of 13 teams
No one goes home unhappy ,won an all expense paid weekend at the Milo
Lakeside Sheraton and recycling centre.
This is a very tight community this AO land

Hey, that tournament is by invitation only.

I will see that your annual dues are returned and name struck from the membership list.

MoFugger21
01-06-2014, 08:27 PM
By the way....how far is Grassy from Sherburne

Oh you know... Just over yonder from Grassy you'll find Sherburne. :scared0018:

and is Frank accessible from the south?

And anybody that fishes Frank with any regularity knows that you can't. Well you can I suppose, it's just that's so many trolls patrol the south end and the toll you need to pay for access just isn't worth it. Access the best from the North imo. :)

338Bluff
01-06-2014, 11:39 PM
What's all this about a grassy knoll? Who is Frank? Frank Sinatra?:party0051:

drhu22
01-07-2014, 04:52 AM
Re: "won an all expense paid weekend at the Milo Lakeside Sheraton"

"I'm green with envy"!

drhu22
01-07-2014, 04:53 AM
What's all this about a grassy knoll? Who is Frank? Frank Sinatra?:party0051:

338, you're thinking of the greasy knoll.
Two different things.

WayneChristie
01-07-2014, 12:14 PM

You're welcome!

Man, I cant believe you gave up Frank lake to the world, say goodbye to the trophy browns we used to haul out of there, now whats going to keep all those huge perch in check.

Okotokian
01-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Man, I cant believe you gave up Frank lake to the world, say goodbye to the trophy browns we used to haul out of there, now whats going to keep all those huge perch in check.

So many fish there and so easy to catch that I send my dog in to get them!

The Fisherman Guy
01-07-2014, 12:26 PM
So after reading about how good Frank lake has been fishing, I came out here at first light and have been fishing since 7:30 this morning, without a bite.

What am I missing? Can you tell me what bait to use? How are you presenting it?

I don't have a power auger, and the guys just south of me got mad when I asked to borrow theirs. So I have been hand drilling 6inch holes all over, close to shore (hit bottom once) and near the middle. The water smells kinda off, is that because of all the fish slime, from all the fish?

Anyhow, I'm not looking for honey holes but if someone could please post up here where and how I should fish that'd be great.

kevinhits
01-07-2014, 12:37 PM
So after reading about how good Frank lake has been fishing, I came out here at first light and have been fishing since 7:30 this morning, without a bite.

What am I missing? Can you tell me what bait to use? How are you presenting it?

I don't have a power auger, and the guys just south of me got mad when I asked to borrow theirs. So I have been hand drilling 6inch holes all over, close to shore (hit bottom once) and near the middle. The water smells kinda off, is that because of all the fish slime, from all the fish?

Anyhow, I'm not looking for honey holes but if someone could please post up here where and how I should fish that'd be great.

Sounds like you are doing about as good as we did ( well some of us) on Saturday...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

The Fisherman Guy
01-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Sounds like you are doing about as good as we did ( well some of us) on Saturday...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

lol, that's why I brought my 7ft rod on Saturday, I needed some kind of edge. I forgot it today, maybe that's why I'm not catching anything!

kevinhits
01-07-2014, 01:18 PM
lol, that's why I brought my 7ft rod on Saturday, I needed some kind of edge. I forgot it today, maybe that's why I'm not catching anything!

HAHA....I rarely see a 7ft rod on the ice and loved the look of it:sHa_sarcasticlol:

rem338win
01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Ahhh, ice fishing on good old Frank. Only thing better is dragging plugs off the bottom with down riggers in the spring. Monsters lurk with the run off.

Pixel Shooter
01-07-2014, 02:03 PM
it sure doesnt take much to entertain you folks, think were done here