PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Lake

Swrmacmullin
01-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Hey guys! newbie to ice fishing here, just so you guys know. Im not looking for honey hole handouts or anything like that. Simply asking for advice, i went out to wizard lake today and had tons of fun, went to spring lake last week. i have not yet caught a fish ice fishing. I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to bait and lures, as well as depth (as i have heard this is important?) Like i said, not looking to have everything handed to me, and not looking to catch crap. i will probably be going back to wizard lake next week, with my girlfriend this time and am hoping to catch some fish!

I was out from the east boat launch the farthest anyone had been (that i could tell from drifts), ide say 150 yards. depth i estimated was 20-30 feet ( wasnt exact because i wasnt standing out in the cold, i was getting that tent set up ASAP!)

As for bait i was using a ice fishing spoon at first, silver with blue with bait. (The ones that are weighted at the end so they do the funky chicken in the water :) ) and after only seeing one nice sized jack, in several hours of fishing, i switched up locations (closer to launch) and started using a jig. and didnt see anything for the rest of the day! GRR

Regardless had a blast and its awesome to get out of the house. Enjoyed it, even though i, when moving stepped into my own hole, due to and excessive amount of wind and holding a big wind catch err.. i mean my fishing tent... lmao. so a cold rest of the day it was.

So anyways, looking for tips about specifically wizard lake, or just tips in general. I started off by jigging in a big motion, up and down and around about a foot, but by then end i only did a few inches. As i said im teaching myself to do this and do enjoy but would rather have something to show by the end of the day ;)

plus, my family is starting to think im not actually going fishing... Lmao, just jokes!

Thanks to all those who give me a hand! I really do appreciate it! Cheers to you all and good luck fishing!

Lefty-Canuck
01-04-2014, 10:23 PM
I find dead sticking works best at wizard...for some reason the pike through the ice are always really sluggish....they don't hit very hard, mouth the bait and spit it out....you will catch 25-50 undersized fish before you get a keeper there but it can be fun!

LC

Swrmacmullin
01-04-2014, 10:28 PM
So by dead sticking it do you mean just putting bait on a jig or spoon and keeping it in the water not moving it? im not too too worried about not catching keepers, that will come... at this point i just would like to get out there and catch some fish! What have you used for bait at Wizard?

257wbyhunter
01-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Use a jig head with minnow and set a tip up with same thing 10 to 15 away and just wait for the action

EZM
01-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Here's a good few tips that should put you on some pike ......

1) If possible - find the "drop off" - a place where the bottom goes from shallow to deep - try to set up in 8-15 feet of water.

2) Bait your hook with a minnow or smelt - this will allow you to hook both big and smaller pike as well as a burbot, walleye etc........ this size of bait is the most versatile. You can certainly use a bigger herring and try for a bigger pike. I will post a picture of a few set ups for you. ( I will tie them up now and post later).

3) Fish on or near the bottom - don't jig too much as pike spook easily. Leaving your bait alone is called "dead sticking" and is probably one of the best "all around" methods this time of year when fish are lethargic.

4) Use fluorocarbon leader material - fish are less likely to reject your bait and the presentation looks more "natural".

5) In a seperate hole - not too far away from your "dead stick" you can experiment - use a smaller spoon with some bait and gently flutter and jig it, use a lead head jig and bounce the mud off the bottom etc... the key is be gentle.

Hope that helps ..... stand by for pics .... I'm going to tie a few up and post a picture for you.

Lefty-Canuck
01-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Set the bait down and let it sit....smelt or shiners.

If using a tip-up then go over and pull the line up a foot and let it settle once every 5-10-20 mins...

LC

coors04
01-04-2014, 11:13 PM
You have a lot of really good tips on here to try. I have never fished wizard lake but have fished pike a lot. I agree with the others dead sticking works great use a tip up if you have one and just check it ever now and then to make sure it doesn't freeze up in the hole. If you don't have a tip up try this.

In your tent or where you can watch your rod none stop tie on a treble hook and put a smelt on don't forget a steel leader. lower your smelt to the bottom usually I fish in 10-18 feet of water. I like to tug on my line if it feels slack then slowly inch up until you can feel the weight of your smelt. Lift up another 4-8 inches ( you can go higher or lower if its not working ) and install a bobber. Your bobber will keep your smelt off the bottom and act as a strike indicator ( it works great when the fish are being very sneaky) then stick your rod in a holder or prop in in the snow and pull out a foot or two of loose line. Your bobber will go down when you get a hit and the extra line will give you some time to react before the fish tries to steel your rod. I have done this lots and when i check on my rod I have seen my bobber just sitting there 3 inches below the water while a pike just sits there. Hope this helps and i didn't confuse you. Keep trying and it will all start coming together

linemanpete
01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
I find shallower the better at wizard... 6' to 10' max

Swrmacmullin
01-04-2014, 11:19 PM
This is awesome guys! thanks! its all making sense and i really appreciate it! Definitely cant wait to go out and try some of these tips!

Swrmacmullin
01-04-2014, 11:24 PM
and what do you guys mean by shiners? Sorry, not into all the lingo i guess

EZM
01-04-2014, 11:33 PM
Pictures of ........

a store bought pike spreader with two treble hooks - best used for bigger bait.

AND ....... something I tie up to use with two separate baits (like 2 minnows) or one bigger bait (like a herring).......

Note the "red" bead stop with a sliding egg sinker - the bead can be adjusted to lengthen and/or shorten the "free take" - use shorter for faster hook up and more aggressive fish and a longer "free space" for finicky "tasters and nibblers".

The longer the free take the more line a pike has to swim away with the bait before feeling resistance. Basically the egg sinker can sit on the bottom and the two "white glow" beads right in from of the hooks float the bait off the bottom.

I like to rig my minnows backwards as most of the time they will take baits head first and they will feel no line AND the hook will be facing away from the fish upon hook set increasing your hook up %.

NOTE: Line is a 50lb fluorocarbon leader ........ which is bite proof for pike ....... make sure the line says "fluorocarbon leader" which is different than regular fluorocarbon line.

coors04
01-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Shinners are minnows. You can get then at any bait store or some gas stations. They are most commonly kept in the freezer in plastic tubs and sometimes kept in a jar preserved.

Graffy91
01-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Shinners are minnows. You can get then at any bait store or some gas stations. They are most commonly kept in the freezer in plastic tubs and sometimes kept in a jar preserved.

This.

Smelts can be bought at you're local Superstore, 8.99 for a huge bag.

Found in the frozen seafood aisle!

I usually set up a tip up outside my tent, then jig inside on a rod. This way I get the best of both worlds.

Lefty-Canuck
01-05-2014, 10:50 AM
I find shallower the better at wizard... 6' to 10' max

X2..... fish 20-30 yards from shore to start....maybe closer. Drill holes perpendicular to shore till you find the depth they are at then drill holes at that depth parallel to shore.

LC

Swrmacmullin
01-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks a bunch everyone! Really looking forward to getting back out there! and hopefully bring back some fish! Will keep you guys informed of what worked and what didnt! and maybe some pictures to boot!

wbaj
01-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Pictures of ........

a store bought pike spreader with two treble hooks - best used for bigger bait.

AND ....... something I tie up to use with two separate baits (like 2 minnows) or one bigger bait (like a herring).......

Note the "red" bead stop with a sliding egg sinker - the bead can be adjusted to lengthen and/or shorten the "free take" - use shorter for faster hook up and more aggressive fish and a longer "free space" for finicky "tasters and nibblers".

The longer the free take the more line a pike has to swim away with the bait before feeling resistance. Basically the egg sinker can sit on the bottom and the two "white glow" beads right in from of the hooks float the bait off the bottom.

I like to rig my minnows backwards as most of the time they will take baits head first and they will feel no line AND the hook will be facing away from the fish upon hook set increasing your hook up %.

NOTE: Line is a 50lb fluorocarbon leader ........ which is bite proof for pike ....... make sure the line says "fluorocarbon leader" which is different than regular fluorocarbon line.

Hey EZ, this is an interesting setup. Can I ask what kind of beads you use to keep the bait from laying on the lake bottom? Are they hollow? Somehow I am finding it difficult to imagine how these smallish beads keep a smelt upright? Or maybe I am missing the point totally? Do you want the bait laying on the bottom?

Red Bullets
01-06-2014, 02:01 AM
Here is a site that wil give you some insight into wizard lake, as well as lots of other local lakes.

http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Alberta-Lakes/view/?region=North Saskatchewan Region&basin=North Saskatchewan River Basin&lake=Wizard Lake&number=88&page=Introduction

Here is the depth map of Wizard. This should help you explore the lake.
http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Alberta-Lakes/library/view_section.php?lake=88&section=2&type=Fig

I caught my first fish in wizard 48 years ago. I explored the whole lake one end to the other ice fishing through the years.

I always had good luck ice fishing in front on the boat launch/dock inside jubilee park. About 30 yards out it is 25 ft+ . There can be the odd keeper perch to be had occasionally too. I always use a 10 to 12 inch mackeral on the tip up for pike. I don't catch as many smaller hammer handles using bigger bait.

One tip up for pike and one hand line for perch or pike.

Here is my personal tip for Wizard: (or alot of other alberta lakes too.)
Put a size 16 to 20 hook with a small heavy beadhead with one maggot down the hole on 1 or 2 lb. line. Fish close to the bottom in deeper water.(ice fishing) You will catch 5 to 6 cm. shiner minnows which are legal to use as baitfish. Catch your baitfish fresh to put on a hand line for pike. *Make sure the minnows are dead when you use them for bait. No live bait in alberta, except worms and maggots.

The lake drops off so quick the minnows follow the shoreline in deeper water, which in turn the perch and pike follow. You don't have to go out too far. Where you find the minnows you will find the pike and perch.

I even caught a 3.5 lb. common sucker once on a perch hook ice fishing, the only sucker I ever caught in Wizard. I bet there are some big suckers in that lake. Nobody really fishes for them anymore.

Red Bullets
01-06-2014, 02:06 AM
Hey EZ, this is an interesting setup. Can I ask what kind of beads you use to keep the bait from laying on the lake bottom? Are they hollow? Somehow I am finding it difficult to imagine how these smallish beads keep a smelt upright? Or maybe I am missing the point totally? Do you want the bait laying on the bottom?

Your bait should be 6 inches to two feet off of the bottom in winter. If your bait lays right on the bottom you have a better chance of catching a lingcod.

EZM
01-06-2014, 08:29 AM

The plastic beads are hollow as is the egg sinker which slides up and down the line. You run your line through the center of them and then once or twice again through them to secure them or keep them from sliding up and down the line. They act as a stop to prevent your weight from crashing into the minnows/hooks or bait.

It also keeps your weight away, tangle free, from your hooks and bait for a more natural presentation.

You can also run beads just once through and they will slide freely along the line. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

The lower beads are glow beads which serve as an attractant - and have some buoyancy. I have added "corkies", "spin n' glow" beads etc... in the past that are much more buoyant allowing your weight to float off the bottom and when the fish takes the bait there is no resistance.

A minnow will float just off the bottom as long as the hooks are not heavier than the beads or corkie. The set-up I took a picture of is for on or near bottom presentations.

Sometimes I lay the weight on the bottom - leave 30" between the hollow sinker and occasionally "stir up the bottom". In cases like this I hook the minnow backwards - so when the fish grabs the minnow the hooks are facing the correct position for a quick hook up.

More often - I rig them conventionally and just lower it at or near the bottom - or wherever fish are suspended.

I use this set up because it takes only 30 seconds (adjust the bead stop and minnow direction) to change up the presentation depending on what the fish are acting like.

In a conventional set up your fish will feel the weight - this way it is less likely to spit it out ....... but it would allow a quicker hook set.

It all about providing variable presentations when fish are finicky eaters.

You can buy all this stuff for under $10 at any of the fishing stores and use it for years .......

Tying proper knots is the tough part with heavier fluorocarbon leader material which is required for pike. lol.

With trout, walleyes, perch, etc... mono or regular fluoro works fine.

Have fun and experiment - The camera shows you what it's doing and I often make adjustments and play around. I believe in this set up as my hook up ratio is better when to compared to most conventional set ups on those days where fish are being less cooperative.

I have found that many many times when a fish takes your bait and mouths it, and lets go it because it has felt resistance and weight. All of us have watched this happen and have yelled at the camera !!!!!!

potsan
01-07-2014, 10:44 AM
This is great thread, helping and sharing excellent tips. Been fishing for a few years, but still there are tons to learn from others. Great job!