PDA

View Full Version : Barbed hooks

Tater 1
01-05-2014, 05:47 AM
Question barber hooks do we need to have them pinched ?????
Was talking with a guy said he was checked last week.

Thanks

AppleJax
01-05-2014, 06:09 AM
They cannot charge you for barbed hooks right now. They can still check.

Tater 1
01-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Thanks that's what I was thinking .

buckman
01-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Why would they check?

winger7mm
01-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Why would they check?

Could be fishing a lake with a bait ban??? Just a thought lol

Brandonkop
01-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Was at cold lake last Wednesday two Co's drove up on sleds checked our licenses and took off. They didn't seem to care that we were using barbs. They didn't even ask to see our hooks or bait.

jwloco
01-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Why would they check?

I would assume they are just curious as to how many guys are using barbed hooks vs barbless. I know I am curious what percentage of fishermen went back to using barbed just because they could. I know I still pinch/file my barbs. I find it helps in a smooth and less harmful release of the fish.

EZM
01-05-2014, 10:40 AM
My guess it's more about "encouragement" and less about "enforcement". As AJ pointed out the restriction of the use of barbed hooks (and associated law) has been suspended, therefore, is no longer enforceable.

Although many would dispute this, some studies have shown a lower mortality rate associated with barbless hooks. With Alberta's limited resources, and many slot sizes or catch and release restrictions, more and more fish are released, so why not reduce mortality rates.

If you are fishing for a vulnerable or sensitive species which is catch and release, why would we, as ethical sportspeople, not use a barbless single hook? Just my opinion.

I will say, however, the use of bait, and treble hooks, when reading many studies, is far worse, exhibiting a higher mortality rate versus a single barbed hook.

Again, many will argue the point, but many studies indicate and support the above information, many also note little or no difference (comparing barbs to barbless hooks).

Right now it's the angler's personal choice.

I think some CO's are just encouraging good habits.

huntsfurfish
01-05-2014, 10:47 AM
My guess it's more about "encouragement" and less about "enforcement". As AJ pointed out the restriction of the use of barbed hooks (and associated law) has been suspended, therefore, is no longer enforceable.

Although many would dispute this, some studies have shown a lower mortality rate associated with barbless hooks. With Alberta's limited resources, and many slot sizes or catch and release restrictions, more and more fish are released, so why not reduce mortality rates.

If you are fishing for a vulnerable or sensitive species which is catch and release, why would we, as ethical sportspeople, not use a barbless single hook? Just my opinion.

I will say, however, the use of bait, and treble hooks, when reading many studies, is far worse, exhibiting a higher mortality rate versus a single barbed hook.

Again, many will argue the point, but many studies indicate and support the above information, many also note little or no difference (comparing barbs to barbless hooks).

Right now it's the angler's personal choice.

I think some CO's are just encouraging good habits.

:sign0176::):):)

EZM
01-05-2014, 10:58 AM
:sign0176::):):)

Lol ....... I knew it wouldn't take you long ........ notice that I provided some disclaimers to represent the anti-barbless crowds?

:)

BTW - I used hooks with barbs on my perch set up a few days ago ...... I am a hypocrite ..... lol

Winch101
01-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Though I am pro barb as a bait holder point ....I,ve pinched everything
That is pike oriented.....just such a pain to shake off those snakes with
Barbs ....

Pixel Shooter
01-05-2014, 02:36 PM
You must have been on the Alberta side............Saskatchewan CO's do enforce on the sask side of Cold Lake , go figure. Got into a big debate on that one

Was at cold lake last Wednesday two Co's drove up on sleds checked our licenses and took off. They didn't seem to care that we were using barbs. They didn't even ask to see our hooks or bait.

waterninja
01-05-2014, 02:41 PM
B.C. is also barbless.

colin455
01-05-2014, 02:44 PM
I go both ways and prefer to have a choice. If I'm going to catch/release - barbless. For food - barbed.
I prefer to make my own choice as I feel circumstances dictate.

P.S. I also have a Treaty Card and still CHOOSE to follow the same rules as everyone else.
Given the opportunity - most folks will choose the right path. Push YOUR opinion on others and most will push back.

BeeGuy
01-05-2014, 02:57 PM
B.C. is also barbless.

You can use barbs where permitted in lakes in BC.

jwloco
01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
P.S. I also have a Treaty Card and still CHOOSE to follow the same rules as everyone else.
Given the opportunity - most folks will choose the right path. Push YOUR opinion on others and most will push back.

You do know that all the treaty card does is make it so you dont need to purchase a license, and you still have to follow all regulations and or catch/size limits. Not saying you dont, I just always run into lots of people fishing at Lac ste anne and other lakes that think just because they are treaty status they can keep what ever they want. I called in a gentlemen this summer who had 12 walleye on a stringer, he figured he could catch and keep anything because of treaty status. He got a rude awakening when they ticketed him with poaching.

huntsfurfish
01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Lol ....... I knew it wouldn't take you long ........ notice that I provided some disclaimers to represent the anti-barbless crowds?

:)

BTW - I used hooks with barbs on my perch set up a few days ago ...... I am a hypocrite ..... lol

I noticed.lol

Thought you might be "baiting" me.:)

jwloco
01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Here is the part from the regulations, page 17 if you feel like looking for yourself.

Sportfishing by Indians
Indians do not need an Alberta Sportfishing Licence or WIN card for
general sportfishing, however all other sportfishing regulations apply
equally to all persons, including Indians. Indians are persons registered as
Indians under the Indian Act.

Pixel Shooter
01-05-2014, 05:47 PM
The Op was not seeking information on sportfishing by treaty status.......... tread lightly

deanstroyer
01-05-2014, 06:01 PM
if you fish barbed for the purpose of holding your bait on your hook, i offer you this alternative. keep your old tattered jig bodies, and use pieces to hold on your bait. ie : if your using say a jig and minnow, after your minnow is on the hook take a small chunk and use it to squish the minnow towards the jig body. works well

Glenn D
01-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Totally pro barbless, I find no difference barbed to barbless.
Maby if your new to angling barbed May help u but any seasoned angler
won't notice much difference.

Tweedsider
01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
if you fish barbed for the purpose of holding your bait on your hook, i offer you this alternative. keep your old tattered jig bodies, and use pieces to hold on your bait. ie : if your using say a jig and minnow, after your minnow is on the hook take a small chunk and use it to squish the minnow towards the jig body. works well

This is what I do as well, I have lots in my box so I will even rip new ones apart to hold on the bait. When barbless came out I thought "What a pain in the ass". But once I was finished pinching barbs with all my existing tackle it was easy to do when I bought new stuff. I wouldn't go back to barbed hooks, barbless just seems so much easier for release and I don't care if I lose a fish once in awhile.
:character0053:

winger7mm
01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Totally pro barbless, I find no difference barbed to barbless.
Maby if your new to angling barbed May help u but any seasoned angler
won't notice much difference.

You must not fish burbot very often through the ice ;) they dont fight like other fish, and for those fish you fish to keep em. My success with bringing a fish on the ice barbed vs non barbed was about 5-1. Think ill keep em barbed for burbot. However when it comes to everyother species (cept maybe perch) I like to go non barbed, since I dont keep many other species

deanstroyer
01-06-2014, 03:34 PM
This is what I do as well, I have lots in my box so I will even rip new ones apart to hold on the bait. When barbless came out I thought "What a pain in the ass". But once I was finished pinching barbs with all my existing tackle it was easy to do when I bought new stuff. I wouldn't go back to barbed hooks, barbless just seems so much easier for release and I don't care if I lose a fish once in awhile.
:character0053:
.sometimes when im dead sticking i just sit there and pinch barbs off my hooks. i look to use a little piece of red jig on the end, cause it makes it look like blood. ive got so used to using barbless that even when i loose a fish i dont even attribute it to the barbless hook. id much rather loose a fish rather then brutally injure it removing the hook. but i c&r only

TylerThomson
01-06-2014, 03:48 PM
I really like how simple bait buttons are for keeping bait on. Not as cheap add an old jig but very quick.

Andrzej
01-06-2014, 04:11 PM
From Wiki

In Switzerland and Germany catch and release fishing is considered inhumane and is now banned.

I think that barbed hooks should be acceptable for children regardless of general regulations.

I have pond with rainbows and despite that I am trying to release most of them children fish with barbs. They can not be expected to keep tight line all of the time.
I had many children and adults catching their first fish at my place...some as old as 28.

Fishing with my fishing buddies.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/Andrzej77/BF017ED0-92FE-4A37-A7EB-820044C72F0A-269-0000006C8C8F70B2_zps672acad5.jpg (http://s147.photobucket.com/user/Andrzej77/media/BF017ED0-92FE-4A37-A7EB-820044C72F0A-269-0000006C8C8F70B2_zps672acad5.jpg.html)

kidd
01-06-2014, 06:03 PM
I fish with kids a lot and let me tell you life is easier without barbs! Hooks in toques, tents, fingers, boots, life jackets, dogs, gloves,ropes, lol.

kidd

Okotokian
01-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Always followed the law. Then last year finally used the barbs I had so yearned for. I might have caught a few more fish, but it WAS a pain (for me and fish) getting some out. Plus I snagged on clothing a few times too. Arrrggg.

I might go back to barbless this year, just for the convenience. A few less fish landed isn't that huge of a deal if I'm probably going to release them anyway.

TylerThomson
01-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I pinch barbs on my trebles as they are a pain in the butt to get out otherwise. I also try to limit my user of trebles though and have switched out all my trebles on spoons for single hooks. I keep the barbs on my single hooks for walleye and perch though as I rarely have trouble removing a single hook.

mooseknuckle
01-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Always followed the law. Then last year finally used the barbs I had so yearned for. I might have caught a few more fish, but it WAS a pain (for me and fish) getting some out. Plus I snagged on clothing a few times too. Arrrggg.

I might go back to barbless this year, just for the convenience. A few less fish landed isn't that huge of a deal if I'm probably going to release them anyway.

Same here. Especially with a treble I still pinch. There is the odd time I'm fishing for dinner. If Iam and it's a single hook I'll leave the barb on.

CNP
01-06-2014, 07:57 PM

How many years have you been fishing? It wasn't so long ago that there was no regulation concerning barbed hooks.

Fisherman_92
01-08-2014, 12:21 PM
If you need barbs on your hook to land it you're doing something wrong! No barbs is the way to go. Safer for the fish and haha us too if you ever get stuck with a hook.

huntsfurfish
01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
If you need barbs on your hook to land it you're doing something wrong! No barbs is the way to go. Safer for the fish and haha us too if you ever get stuck with a hook.

:thinking-006::)

Bound2Fish
01-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Barbs all the way for me!!! At least for this year. I bet it changes in the next set of regs.

Okotokian
01-08-2014, 01:39 PM
How many years have you been fishing? It wasn't so long ago that there was no regulation concerning barbed hooks.

That was over a decade ago, no? In the Mike Cardinal/Ralph Klein era. I fished as a kid but really only got back into it at about that time.

DiabeticKripple
01-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Single hook = barbs

Treble = no barbs

RayL42
01-08-2014, 03:01 PM
I was happy last year when they suspended the barbless hook law. Then the first time I went out with a barbed hook, I sunk the hook into my finger. As I was digging the hook out with my knife I watched my buddy catch 4 nice trout, when I was finally ready to start fishing they stopped biting.

Now I pinch all by barbs.

Bolete
01-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Single hook = barbs

Treble = no barbs

This is what I do. I find little difference on single hooks, but on Husky Jerks, etc., I personally find Pike easier to unhook when barbless. I usually remove the middle treble hook as well.

TylerThomson
01-08-2014, 03:30 PM
If that ever happens to you again there is am easy way to pop them out. take 10 or so inches of line and do a couple wraps around the belly of the hook. wrap the loose ends around your fingers as if you are doing the peace sign. Then push on the eye of the hook and pull at the same time. When you push on the side with the eye you force the barb away from your flesh and make a channel for it to slide out. Do it quick and you should barely feel it.

I learned this from an old boy on the bow river after the wind caught my loop out fly fishing and I buried a streamer in the back of my neck. We were on a two day float and nobody knew how to get it out do they cut the line and left it in. Then this old boy floated over to chat and said "son do you know that there is a hook in your neck".

good times

bluetick
01-08-2014, 07:42 PM
From Wiki

In Switzerland and Germany catch and release fishing is considered inhumane and is now banned.

I think that barbed hooks should be acceptable for children regardless of general regulations.

I have pond with rainbows and despite that I am trying to release most of them children fish with barbs. They can not be expected to keep tight line all of the time.
I had many children and adults catching their first fish at my place...some as old as 28.

Fishing with my fishing buddies.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/Andrzej77/BF017ED0-92FE-4A37-A7EB-820044C72F0A-269-0000006C8C8F70B2_zps672acad5.jpg (http://s147.photobucket.com/user/Andrzej77/media/BF017ED0-92FE-4A37-A7EB-820044C72F0A-269-0000006C8C8F70B2_zps672acad5.jpg.html)

And that is what its all about! great pic Andy ,I think ill put a pond on my place for this exact reason.

mongo
01-08-2014, 08:23 PM
If and when you hook yourself deep fishing you will thank the stars that you are a barbless user ..been there done this....lol....